PDA

View Full Version : vacuum pipe left side of fanimold?

zoomungus
Thursday 29th January 2009, 17:49
when looking from front there is a vacuum pipe left side of fanimold, op side of inlet to throttle body, what is it?

it was rotten so i removed it and blocked the inlet, it was a pig to get to but i did it.

BruceT
Thursday 29th January 2009, 18:13
It goes into the PCV heater nippe (PTC?) its a vacum line that I also have bunged up.

How do you manage to bung it up at the manifold end? There is next to no room lol

zoomungus
Thursday 29th January 2009, 18:26
i sprayed it with a tin of boost leak begone.........................then below!

bruce, i practiced swearing for a full 2 weeks before tackling it, i also did it when the engine was hot so i could swear more, that little spring clip took me half an hour to get off!
then i shoved a bung on the inlet tightened it up with a hose clip, job done!

BruceT
Thursday 29th January 2009, 18:31
Haha.

What did you bung it up with?

zoomungus
Thursday 29th January 2009, 18:42
i had a small bit of fuel pipe, placed a small round bit of rubber in one end, hosed clipped it and then put another hoseclip on and tightened on the inlet, done, getting the old hose off was the crap part!

t5 stealth
Thursday 29th January 2009, 19:02
if i was you id reconect it properly as you will upset the running & the general running of the engine....it might seem ok now but with electonics on cars the ecu or brains compensate if they find problems so the car wont run to the best of its potential....volvo made it for a reason...if it was meant to be blocked off they wouldnt of fitted it...lets face it,everything is expensive on these cars,you dont wana make problems lol.:Handshake

zoomungus
Thursday 29th January 2009, 19:24
its kinda strange that they would fit this to the inlet as under boost this would pressurise the pcv system and crankcase.

t5 stealth
Thursday 29th January 2009, 22:00
its kinda strange that they would fit this to the inlet as under boost this would pressurise the pcv system and crankcase.

strange maybe but im sure volvo in there wisdom spent millions in the development of that system for it to do something so im sure they know more about it that the likes of us mortals lol.

woz
Thursday 29th January 2009, 22:23
Just today I was looking at a map of the vacuum conecions fo the turbo engine. PM me and let me lknow your email I will send you a copy.

When that hos eperishes, your consumption will drop like a stone and the boost and fuelling will be all over the place. It is better bunged off than that as i stops the air leak. However, it does operate the PCV ehen driven by a signal from the ECU I think so you really need to fix it. It is a piuggy job so I got HLM to do it (and all ??5?? of those little perishers) when I got my RICA done. You need to remove the poser steering pump or pulley or something I think. Its all starifghtforward - just a lot to do.

btw my mpg wemt from 23 to 30 as a result so it pays for itself!!!!
W:>)

woz
Thursday 29th January 2009, 22:32
Not as useful as I thought but here is the info. (oops reject as file size too big) They are only 120kb but exceed the limit so PM me and i will email you.

It does not cover ALL the hoses. You prob need to look in the manual for that - or did someone once post up a guide to these???
Cheers
Woz

zoomungus
Thursday 29th January 2009, 23:13
Just today I was looking at a map of the vacuum conecions fo the turbo engine. PM me and let me lknow your email I will send you a copy.

When that hos eperishes, your consumption will drop like a stone and the boost and fuelling will be all over the place. It is better bunged off than that as i stops the air leak. However, it does operate the PCV ehen driven by a signal from the ECU I think so you really need to fix it. It is a piuggy job so I got HLM to do it (and all ??5?? of those little perishers) when I got my RICA done. You need to remove the poser steering pump or pulley or something I think. Its all starifghtforward - just a lot to do.

btw my mpg wemt from 23 to 30 as a result so it pays for itself!!!!
W:>)

i get it now! the pcv has a valve connected to the ecu and opens the pcv at some point but when, at boost or idle?

PNuT
Friday 30th January 2009, 04:23
when you get the bits, if you bring your car round i will help you change the pcv system ;) takes about 90 minutes if you know what you are doing ;)

BruceT
Friday 30th January 2009, 07:59
That hose goes to the PCV/PCV heater nipple that comes "on" around 80 degrees of so. It sucks air through a valve and one would assume blows when on boost.

What it will do, if connected will suck measured air, so if its sucking air after the maf then it needs to dumping back into the intake when on boost.

If its NOT sucking, ie bunged, then the MAF knows (I think) the amount of air entering.

But maybe, the MAF takes in air expecting some to be taken in and out by the that vacuum line.

Who knows?

I know Tony has it bunged off with no ill affects.

zoomungus
Friday 30th January 2009, 14:55
mine seems ok, in fact its perky!

dooby
Friday 30th January 2009, 16:44

Hiya,

I don't think that's true - I think under boost the air from that pipe actually just comes back in to the turbo inlet hose (and after the MAF, so it's not 'counted' twice). I don't see it pressurising the crankcase the way it's set up.

Cheers, Pete

dooby
Friday 30th January 2009, 16:46
strange maybe but im sure volvo in there wisdom spent millions in the development of that system for it to do something so im sure they know more about it that the likes of us mortals lol.

They did a very helpful diagram which I think Rufe posted on T5D5 (comes from Vadis originally I guess) so that us mere mortals can understand it :-)

dooby
Friday 30th January 2009, 16:47
EDIT hadn't spotted Bruce beat me to it.

i get it now! the pcv has a valve connected to the ecu and opens the pcv at some point but when, at boost or idle?

As far as I understand it, the valve is temperature controlled - once a temp of 80 degrees is achieved it's open whether at idle or at boost.

HTH, Pete

zoomungus
Saturday 31st January 2009, 17:53
well my mpg is better and its running better too!

mattp
Friday 27th February 2009, 15:06
sorry to drag this up, but does the pipe in question run from the vac tree along the top of the manifold and into a round thing just underneth the fuel rail? if so i'm about to let it have it, as i'm hoping it could be the cause of my poor boosting and mpg. cheers

dave854
Friday 27th February 2009, 15:50
ah! you are here mattp... at long last you have come to the world of Volvo :)

dooby
Friday 27th February 2009, 16:45
sorry to drag this up, but does the pipe in question run from the vac tree along the top of the manifold and into a round thing just underneth the fuel rail? if so i'm about to let it have it, as i'm hoping it could be the cause of my poor boosting and mpg. cheers

Hiya,

that sounds like the vacuum feed to the fuel pressure regulator. I don't think you don't want to run with that disconnected.

HTH, Pete

mattp
Friday 27th February 2009, 17:14
oh right ok, so where is said pipe then? i've been all over it, and can't find the little bugger

mattp
Friday 27th February 2009, 18:54
found it! well rather dave854 did. It's not so much perisished, more completely rotted through and no longer attached to the manifold!! will get a location pic up tomorrow when I have some daylight, to help others in the future.
Haven't managed to get the remnents off the manifold yet, another job for tomorrow

Jod T5
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 00:30
well my mpg is better and its running better too!

Thats because you are running more air....

Cheers
Jod

Jod T5
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 00:31
i had a small bit of fuel pipe, placed a small round bit of rubber in one end, hosed clipped it and then put another hoseclip on and tightened on the inlet, done, getting the old hose off was the crap part!

I would ask why Volvo spent so much money creating the PCV system..?
Cheers
Jod

Jod T5
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 00:35
takes about 90 minutes if you know what you are doing ;)

:snail:
Best
Jod

cameron
Thursday 5th March 2009, 20:09
Is this the said Outlet ?

Left side of manifold............

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P300109_1019.jpg

Then this...........

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P300109_101901.jpg

Then this.........

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P300109_1044.jpg

And here it is with the ties on..................

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P300109_151701.jpg

Its still there a month or so later :D

Sorry if the piccys are a wee bit too big, poor eye sight on some of our more senior members maybe ;)

Hope it helps though :)

Saaamon
Thursday 5th March 2009, 22:05
Surely the easiest thing to do is to replace the PCV system, if the pipe is ££££ed then its obvious the PVC hasn't been changed recently. Volvo provide a clip with the said pipe that is more than capable of holding it on to the manifold.

danny-R
Friday 6th March 2009, 18:00
alright cameron, i have just managed to solve same problem i think with a new elbow from volvo for £2.50. thanks for the pictures they helped but i'm a bit confused about these pipes, i had a piece of what looked like 4mm pipe coming under the manifold so i put the elbow on this then onto nipple on the left side of manifold. and ended up with the bigger bit of pipe not being needed.
also the lambda light hasn't gone out yet gonna have to rack 50 miles up, wont take too long. sorry about the lack of mechanical knowledge
cheers

TenaciousC
Friday 17th July 2009, 09:58
Hi,

I have the reverse problem - my tube has come off at the other end and was dangling down. Yesterday it was submerged in a puddle which caused some interesting steam effects when trying to start it!:uglyhamme

I have bunged off the manifold side for now and pulled out the tube completely... but where should the other end of this tube go?

Cheers

C

AlanG
Friday 17th July 2009, 13:46
See my thread "The usual suspect". May be of some use here. HTH.:funkybana

TenaciousC
Friday 17th July 2009, 22:57
Hi AlanG

Thanks for the link.... there was a thread linked from there that hinted that the other end may go to the PCV canister? Not sure what or where that is? Can anyone shed some more light?

Cheers

C

AlanG
Friday 17th July 2009, 23:08
Welcome mate. The other end does indeed connect to the PCV. Unfortunately,to access this,the best way is to remove the inlet manifold as it lives behind it.