PDA

View Full Version : 304 remap + MBC ?????

cameron
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:23
Can you run a HLM 304 + an MBC at the same time?

Would there be a big difference in Performance ?

Any Pro's and Con's ?

Cheers

Lee

BruceT
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:57
You can, technically.

Aslong as the MBC is within 1-2psi of what max boost of the map is?

cameron
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:03
Iirc when i went on a test drive the day it was done it was boosting @ 1.1bar, the guage goes off the end of the white bit on the clocks.

Not sure what psi it is though ?

Anybody ?

What would the advantages be if any ?

Lee

zoomungus
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:07
15.95418 psi nearly 16 psi cool!

cameron
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:09
So is that good ?

:confused:

Lee

zoomungus
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:14
yep! better ask someone who knows but i think thats fair boost

cameron
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:16
And awesome only registered 222bhp :confused:

Its tonnes quicker than my old car, Pault5estates and that registered 226bhp :doh:

Think i need to get it run on another RR to get a second opinion.

Lee

zoomungus
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:26
at the wheels?

t5 pete
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:30
at the wheels?

yes that figure was at the wheels

t5 pete
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:31
So is that good ?

:confused:

Lee

15-16psi is probley the best pressure you can get from the 304

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:35
It seems strange that RICA only map the 304 for 16psi when the RICA for the S40 T4 is 17psi on a smaller turbo. I guess that is the benefits of the larger turbos needing less psi to flow more power :D

cameron
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:40
Yeah 222 atw's

The guy could not get it to run properly at all :(

Need to get a second opinion me thinks ;)

Lee

zoomungus
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:42
you will see more bhp at the flywheel maybe 25% more, another 50 brake maybe, ask irf he would know

cameron
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:44
Tomcats has the same map and he reistered 264bhp.

Id be happier if i seen a read out of about 260 ;)

I'll keep you posted mate.

Lee

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:49
Lee just bear in mind that auto's are notoriously difficult to dyno as there is no coast down to measure.

Before you add an MBC to a car that is running right and you are happy with (bar the figures on paper) ask yourself if you want to risk damage to your engine from raising the boost to high?

BruceT
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:51
It probably isnt far off 260 at the crank/fly.

Autos have more drivetain loss then manuals, too? IRRC?

You can fit an MBC with the HLM304 aslong as the MBC boosts to the same as the stock BCS/Map. IE what it is now, so aim for 15psi-16psi or 1.1 bar.

MBC will be less progressive then the stock unit, but it will "feel" faster and technically would be quicker with the assumption that the stock bcs is tired and the MBC will not limit boost at all, it will aim when at WOT to hit the max the mbc is set too. Where as the stock bcs will aim to be more progressive and not give max boost till higher in the RPMs.

For £30 id try it and set it for 15-16 psi and see how you get on.

Just please remember, start low with the MBC and gradually increase it.

As the ECU will have NO control to reduce boost. Im not sure about fuel cut in on the remap either so things could/WILL go wrong if it boost too high.

nathT5
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:52
the difference of wheel power and flywheel power on mine was only 17 :confused:
i,m not sure thats possible, even they said it should be about 15%, thats a 36 difference :doh:

as for yours lee, you need to go somewhere who know autos, i bet awesome havent seen many :nut:

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:59
I was wondering the same Nath....whenever I calculated whp on the Volvo's I always assumed 15% tranny loss.....seems like Awesome were suggesting as low as 8% or so....clearly there are some issues here with one of their measurements.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 22:04
you will see more bhp at the flywheel maybe 25% more, another 50 brake maybe, ask irf he would know
That's not correct - at least not in my experience. you can see the difference on Joules's car - 311 ATW = 335 Crank.

Most I have seen is about 10%

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 22:06
Ok.....335 bhp -7% in Jules case then is 311 whp...either way I would say still too optomistic for this drivetrain wouldn't you?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 22:08
All I can report is what I have seen. I have seen many coast down graphs. I am expecting someone to ask about crank power on an auto next :slap:

nathT5
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 22:17
how do you get crank power from an auto??? :hidesbehi

Alan M
Thursday 29th January 2009, 08:02
It probably isnt far off 260 at the crank/fly.

.................As the ECU will have NO control to reduce boost. Im not sure about fuel cut in on the remap either so things could/WILL go wrong if it boost too high.

Thats not really true. I have run an MBC in conjunction with the standard BCS and set it to 16psi on my car when I had a faulty BCS.

BruceT
Thursday 29th January 2009, 10:01
Very true Alan. I was talking about when you take the BCS complety out of the loop and only leave the electrical plug plugged in.

If you have the MBC in-line with the BCS then yes, the ECU will have some control.

According to Volvo speed, leaving the BCS inline with the MBC does not control boost spikes awell.

I mentioned in the beginning an alternate installation method. If you wish the ECU to retain some control, install the MBC in the middle of the stock BCS to Actuator line using vacuum T's. The downside , is that it does not control boost spikes as well.

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/dawes_mbc.htm

Ross9
Thursday 29th January 2009, 17:44
The MBC should be set lower than the maps boost, on Jacqs we had the standard BCS on with the first MTE remap then we added an MBC afterwards set to 1.1 bar (was mapped to 1.4) this meant it got up to 1.1 a lot quicker giving it a quicker spool up, thats all, you should never go above a mapped boost unless you can check the fuelling and engine figures to make sure your not pushing it too far. We use an MBC on Jacqs now but it was mapped with the MBC and then we pushed the boost up more, we should really get MTE back to map it again but haven't yet, just used an adjustable FPR to skew the map to make sure it fuels ok, and it does, at cruise, part and full throttle so its all good. After all the abuse of late we had a leakdown test done and it showed figures you would expect from a just run in engine, cant ask for better than that.

As for the coast downs on a manual car, I agree with wobbly. Some dyno's have crazy coast down losses, jacqs is usually around 7-9% , last time out on the fluffed run (aborted at 5800rpm rather than 7000 and with slipping clutch) it got 387.5 bhp @ fly and 355 @ wheels

Since had clutch fixed, fuelling sorted, and a full new tubular manifold etc rather than the ****e VMS log one it had. Not tested yet, though the drive is ....fun lol, should get good numbers when we get round to it.

Ross