PDA

View Full Version : Turbo is sick

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 18:37
well lads after awesome meet and rubbish figures had the car checked out and the turbo is only pushing 9 psi,they're gonna check the cat tomoz but he says its probably the turbo boo hoo boo hoo:slap::eek:, everything else is ok he said he gets refurbs from turbo technics have heard of em,are they ok ,asked about a bigger turbo aswell,gunna get a few prices together,:doh:wot turbo if i do could i fit to replace one thats on,cheers

Yosser
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 19:12
Don't jump to any conclusions about the turbo.

9psi is about right for stock, are you SURE the ecu isn't stock?

What other signs are there that the turbo is goosed?

FWIW I've read mixed reports about Turbo Technics..

t5 pete
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 19:19
as yosser had asked are you sure the ecu has the rica on it and any papers to back it up bigger turbo wise its totaly up to you depending on what turbo you want forged con rods are the best thing to have with a bigger turbo you can run a bigger turbo on stock rods it all depends on the map and how you drive also with a bigger turbo you will need different down pipe maybe injectors and a new map.

Enigma666
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 20:22
Green injectors should be fine for the remap :D
Downpipe mod is essential, in fact to get the most out of it you would need a 3" downpipe ideally and a full cat back exhaust (ideally 3" but 2.5 if you are feeling wimpy :P)
Custom oil and water lines.
Forged rods are most likely needed.
Good remap and you are away :D

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 22:04
Don't jump to any conclusions about the turbo.

9psi is about right for stock, are you SURE the ecu isn't stock?

What other signs are there that the turbo is goosed?

FWIW I've read mixed reports about Turbo Technics..

yosser all i can say is mickhoon had the remap (which i have the paperwork for and i trust him) and other than that wot the garage tells me.im niauve when it comes to turbines.

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 22:06
as yosser had asked are you sure the ecu has the rica on it and any papers to back it up bigger turbo wise its totaly up to you depending on what turbo you want forged con rods are the best thing to have with a bigger turbo you can run a bigger turbo on stock rods it all depends on the map and how you drive also with a bigger turbo you will need different down pipe maybe injectors and a new map.

hi pete,cheers,hows your car mate

Yosser
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 22:09
No worries Marky. I have dealt with Mick too (got the projector lamps off him) and he was a top bloke.

I'm not sure what to suggest first, but I wouldnt rush in throwing turbos at it just yet - lots of other cheaper easier things to do first.

IF it ends up needing a turbo (which I doubt) then they can be had brand new on ebay for about £450ish IIRC - so don't be conned by recons!

t5 pete
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 22:10
hi marky i havent had time yet to have a look at the timing stupid really as it dont take long but decided to fit the front splitter and polybushed the lower tie arm instead hopefully this weekend i will get some time to cheack the timing i hope you get everything sorted you car looks really well.
Also will you be going to the york meet it will be good to have anoter meet

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 22:16
No worries Marky. I have dealt with Mick too (got the projector lamps off him) and he was a top bloke.

I'm not sure what to suggest first, but I wouldnt rush in throwing turbos at it just yet - lots of other cheaper easier things to do first.

IF it ends up needing a turbo (which I doubt) then they can be had brand new on ebay for about £450ish IIRC - so don't be conned by recons!

cheers mate i hope your right turbo ok but for me they tell me its goosed i believe dont know any different.mick is good that i can tell,are you the guy with black 850 with yellow decals on car or am i way off,just a quick (as she says) can you tell me link or somethin for ebay turbo plz

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 22:19
hi marky i havent had time yet to have a look at the timing stupid really as it dont take long but decided to fit the front splitter and polybushed the lower tie arm instead hopefully this weekend i will get some time to cheack the timing i hope you get everything sorted you car looks really well.
Also will you be going to the york meet it will be good to have anoter meet
pete im only goin if car is ok,would like to and probably will,only if my baby is ok,let me know how you get on with yours,you had big expectations like me (i think) and then crash bang wollop,

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 22:45
Item number: 320312804846 wots this rubbish or ok

Enigma666
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:06
Garbage mate, totally unproven and most likely made of chocolate :D

cameron
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:08
400bhp :cool: i think not !

Lee

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:10
i take it its wack and cods wollop is this the one
Upgrade & Bolt on 850 / S70 with 13G and 16T Turbo Item number: 370149148876

Enigma666
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:11
Well my Garrett GT2871R is bigger than that (by the looks of it) and only capable of a proven 400 so I doubt that a hybrid can achieve it either mate...general rule of thumb is that it 'might' give 20-30 extra bhp for being a hybrid....add to that the rod bending tendencies of hybrids and you have a rather large, expensive paper weight :D

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:12
400bhp :cool: i think not !

Leethought so everyone would av em.

Enigma666
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:14
i take it its wack and cods wollop is this the one
Upgrade & Bolt on 850 / S70 with 13G and 16T Turbo Item number: 370149148876

That's the 19T from JAWarehouse I spoke to you about earlier :D

Very good company, fair few people have used them and apparently send your turbo in a lovely box marked Happy Birthday :D

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:18
That's the 19T from JAWarehouse I spoke to you about earlier :D

Very good company, fair few people have used them and apparently send your turbo in a lovely box marked Happy Birthday :D

cheers chris will see wot garage qoute and compare, and thats new not reconned,thats a good price i guess really.

Yosser
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:18
cheers mate i hope your right turbo ok but for me they tell me its goosed i believe dont know any different.mick is good that i can tell,are you the guy with black 850 with yellow decals on car or am i way off,just a quick (as she says) can you tell me link or somethin for ebay turbo plz

Yes, thats me :)

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nforsyth/volvo/awesomeRR.JPG

Assuming the car has a 16T (I think it does??) then I think this is the correct turbo:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220338316980

Alan M
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:27
Try JAWharehouse on ebay as they have 19t turbos new for £485+delivery. I would say that your problems will be down to minor faults other than the turbo though to be honest.

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:29
cheers yosser,good call for comin all the way from your homeland,long haul that,would you buy from him.

Enigma666
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:29
Yes, thats me :)

Assuming the car has a 16T (I think it does??) then I think this is the correct turbo:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220338316980

Nice car Yosser :D

But surely the V70R has the 19T not the 16T otherwise it's a T5 :help::rolleyes:

Yosser
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:32
Nice car Yosser :D

But surely the V70R has the 19T not the 16T otherwise it's a T5 :help::rolleyes:

You may be right, thats where my knowledge ends.....

That seller does SEEM to be reliable enough - but obviously any purchase would be your call Marky.

Don't be rushed into it!

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:43
You may be right, thats where my knowledge ends.....

That seller does SEEM to be reliable enough - but obviously any purchase would be your call Marky.

Don't be rushed into it!

i trust him but still scared tho yosser its scarey to think your turbo is deed,cheers the tall man manchester ha ha

Enigma666
Tuesday 27th January 2009, 23:52
The guy is very trustworthy and sadly turbos don't last forever :(
Still think it's not your turbo though mate, you have your list of things to test ;)

irf
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 00:01
Still think it's not your turbo though

+1

iirc your actual torque peak was quite high suggesting it's not the turbo but how it's being controlled thats at fault.

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 00:03
Irf, there is also a DV26 which I thought might be at fault (sure there was another post somewhere about that) where one of the pistons can be stuck and leaking pressure....that or the bcs or a pipe somewhere possibly....can't believe I missed IRF on Saturday....I really must make more effort to not stand outside smoking lots lol

irf
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 00:14
believe me, you haven't missed a thing, be grateful:biggrin:

tbh i only have superficial knowledge and even that has been learnt from others.

marky had a conversation with Tim Williams (who does know his onions) and from what i could gather, either the actuator is too tight(very easily checked and fixed), faulty boost control(again, easily fixed) or something else i can't remember.

basically markys car is overboosting then the car seems to be trying to protect itself. if the initial boost surge was fixed the torque curve would probably look a lot healthier.

a failing turbo surely wouldn't have the capability to overboost, no?

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 00:36
Correct mate, the BCS is the IPD heavy duty so shouldn't be that...actuator arm is a strong possibility too.

From what Mark and I have spoken about he is swapping the BCS for the factory one to see if that helps and getting the actuator arm checked :D

There was some codes about the speed sensor that made me think of limp home?

Loadsamiles
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 01:58
Item number: 320312804846 wots this rubbish or ok

:hidesbehi

PNuT
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 05:20
Green injectors should be fine for the remap :D
Downpipe mod is essential, in fact to get the most out of it you would need a 3" downpipe ideally and a full cat back exhaust (ideally 3" but 2.5 if you are feeling wimpy :P)
Custom oil and water lines.
Forged rods are most likely needed.
Good remap and you are away :D

green injectors wont work on a standard remap

downpipe mod is not essential

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 05:41
believe me, you haven't missed a thing, be grateful:biggrin:

tbh i only have superficial knowledge and even that has been learnt from others.

marky had a conversation with Tim Williams (who does know his onions) and from what i could gather, either the actuator is too tight(very easily checked and fixed), faulty boost control(again, easily fixed) or something else i can't remember.

basically markys car is overboosting then the car seems to be trying to protect itself. if the initial boost surge was fixed the torque curve would probably look a lot healthier..

a failing turbo surely wouldn't have the capability to overboost, no?
cheers irf its all too confusin for me this,do you think this guy is havin me over,i think hes genuine but i am nieve when it comes down to turbines,am gonna get car back and have a think,hes gonna get me some prices together and i really need to think then wot to do,confused confused so confused.i have pm'd tim to see wot he thinks.

Yosser
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 09:55
I didn't realise it had the IPD HDTCV - you know there have been issues with these??

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=104225

Also, they are adjustable:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=110763

Got to be worth checking. Try and fit a standard one of someone elses car just to check it.

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 10:13
green injectors wont work on a standard remap

downpipe mod is not essential

Downpipe mod IS essential for non 19T turbo and I think the V70R already has green injectors does it not?

Yosser, I mentioned those issues to Mark, but he's only had the valve about 3 months tops so it should be ok (fingers crossed)

Alan M
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 11:20
Downpipe mod IS essential for non 19T turbo and I think the V70R already has green injectors does it not?

Yosser, I mentioned those issues to Mark, but he's only had the valve about 3 months tops so it should be ok (fingers crossed)

Green injectors aren't on that car are they as standard, they come on the later model R. A downpipe mod IS NOT essential to run a 19T. You can just use the CHRA in the original turbine housing.

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 11:44
Not to run a 19T, and possibly not a hybrid...very true however if you want the most out of a turbo then a performance DP is recommended and to hit certian figures it required.

Cross communications I think :( Mark on the phone was talking about big power mods not 19T replacement mods :D

Yosser
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 12:15
Returning to Mark's problems...

It really sounds like a job for Baxter Basics :) - all the vac lines need checking, the i/c pipes need checking, and swap the BCS for another one to rule it in/out.

It doesn't sound bad or expensive, but might be annoying!

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 12:23
Totally agree Yosser....he is getting a few new pipes today and the mech has his original bcs (which he knows works) so it should all be sorted by the weekend and we should have a happy Mark again :D

irf
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 19:16
marky, pm sent regarding the weekend.

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 19:42
irf pm'd mate

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:00
well wot can i say but thanks to all for good advice,when we next meet brews are on me wohoo lol,clamped actuator open and shut and the turbo went to 12 psi which is better than 9 psi.so gonna check ipd cv cant believe it could be wrong cheers yosser and hopefully buy an actuator from somewhere if anyone knows where from and also replace some pipe work.spoke to turbo technics and the guy said theyve never sold an 18t for my car,that got me thinkin,it could well be turbine but am doubtin it more and more,for them to say that cant believe it hope im not the first eh,cheers everyone its made me feel a bit better yesterday put myself on suicide watch lol

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:06
Happy days mate :)
12 psi is certainly better but still not right :(
You should be looking for closer to 17psi in the end (I would think based on my T4 anyway)
Looks like it's not the turbo though, not gonna suddenly flow 12psi if it was at fault :D

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:25
cheers chris could be actuator need settin up maybe and ipd control valve,fingers crossed

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:30
Yes mate, fingers crossed, at least you have a standard BCS to swap with the IPD to check :D actuator should only be a 10 minute job too :D

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:41
two hours im doin it lol

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 20:51
Lol you are adjusting the actuator and wastegate mate? :D should be fun then :) it's really straight forward mate, just take your time :)

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:18
where can i get new actuator from and yes if i can boost up to 17 psi then i will but not gettin too giddy,not yet anyway:wink:

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:32
actuators sadly only come on the turbos themselves from volvo....perhaps scour ebay for a broken one? Not sure what pressures the actuators are set to and I suppose you could always go aftermarket or possibly try that JAWarehouse see if they have any.

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 21:56
surely must do new parts for them then

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 22:24
Sometimes mate, not 100% sure, never checked them. If all else fails you could go aftermarket like the ones from the Garretts or something :)

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 22:37
tell me more plz

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 22:45
Well, if someone is wanting to hold more boost through a turbo than the standard actuator can provide then you go for an uprated one, HKS, Greddy, Garrett etc, you can then knock up a custom mount and fit that....be careful though as you don't want too strong an actuator as the arm will not open at all and you will kill the turbo double quick :(

MARKY70RRR
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 23:19
gonna phone rufe tomoz but gonna try ipd valve first that yosser pointed out,top man a good read if it is this wont believe it ,the more i read things n stuff the more i think not turbine fingers crossed,if i bought a standard actuator how much boost could you get out of it

Enigma666
Wednesday 28th January 2009, 23:22
Rufe will tell you they come as part of the turbo mate, but definitely worth a shot...you never know :D

Not sure about the OEM actuators tbh :(

PNuT
Thursday 29th January 2009, 20:35
forge motorsports would be my choice to contact, they make various actuators for td04 turbos on scoobys & also some saab models which may well fit.....