PDA

View Full Version : 2.5LPT convert to T5?

Bison
Monday 26th January 2009, 12:14
I know this has probably been answered in other threads on the forums but I am in a rush and don't have time to look.

I have found a mint, I mean mint, 1997 Volvo 850 2.5 LPT in Dubai and it is manual, over here that is basically as rare as rocking horse ****.

It's only done 19,000kms since new!! Would you believe it, Swedish couple bought it new, and then they both got company cars so it get driven round the block once a week to and serviced to keep it maintained.

They are now looking to sell, and wether or not I can convert it to T5 turbo and ECU I will probably buy it anyway, slam it on some 19's and be done with.

Can it be done, if not, what can be done?

Bison

Dangerous Dave
Monday 26th January 2009, 13:20
Standard BHP should be 193 (same as mine). Off the shelf remaps claim to up this to 230-235 (depending on what other mods you do i.e performance filter, exhaust, etc).

You can put a 16T on it, injectors, DP, cat back system, and custom remap should take it up to about 280. Gotta be careful though, as the 2.5 walls are thinner than on the 2.3, and there's a general feel that this makes it weaker. Also the compression ratio is higher than on a T5 so you gotta be careful with the boost at low revs.

HTH

timbo_1975
Monday 26th January 2009, 13:46
I would add.....be -very- careful with boost levels at low revs... A custom re-map would be the way to go.

The small 13g turbo will limit it after about 4500rpm, - thus a 16 would be the way to go, but once again you would need to tailor the map to keep boost (i.e. torque) down til you had somewhere in the region of 3500rpm showing.

A good job done and it would feel like more like a Naturally aspirated 3.5 litre motor.

Tim.

dangerstevie
Monday 26th January 2009, 19:15
to keep the boost down get a boost controller, greddy one or apexi should do the job very well, on the expensive ones you can taylor the boost at given rpm's