PDA

View Full Version : why do volvos have the appeal over scoobys etc...

preacher38
Sunday 25th January 2009, 01:00
hi there
i have a family and wanted a good family vehicle with some grunt and as the audi rs6 was out of my reach a mate said try a volvo , well seeing as i had a 850 2.5 before i bought my hearse as everyone has lovingly called it i thought why not , and have not looked back since , but may i ask as to why other people have got their 850r's and t5's and v70r's and v40's etc .

PNuT
Sunday 25th January 2009, 04:44
hi there
i have a family and wanted a good family vehicle with some grunt and as the audi rs6 was out of my reach a mate said try a volvo , well seeing as i had a 850 2.5 before i bought my hearse as everyone has lovingly called it i thought why not , and have not looked back since , but may i ask as to why other people have got their 850r's and t5's and v70r's and v40's etc .

quick safe reliable with plenty of room

volvokid
Sunday 25th January 2009, 06:53
Love the styling, its not common, one of the most comfortable seats you can get in a car, awesome sound system, safe and its a Volvo!!

zoomungus
Sunday 25th January 2009, 07:37
nobody expects to be crapped over by a boxy old volvo lol i just love to see their faces!

i bought my 850 t5 to cart around my event stuff, its solid, safe, its the quickest car to warm up that ive ever had. 3-5 mins from cold, cheap insurance, its comfortable and the design is awesome!

Mrsmopp
Sunday 25th January 2009, 10:58
quick safe reliable with plenty of room

What Pnut said and the fact that they come with all the luxuries you dont get in most other fast family saloons

yorkshire R
Sunday 25th January 2009, 12:14
one of the reasons i chose a volvo is because the insurance....

when i first passed my test my friends had pug 205 gti's, xr2/3i's, nova gte's etc...showing my age now!!

i seen a lovely black 440 turbo at a local garage and he told me insurance group 10 and never looked back..except for a few different cars inbetween

iv even changed friends minds from saying there a ''grandad'' car or ''its a volvo''

Pliskin
Sunday 25th January 2009, 12:30
Hi Vince,
I bought my 854 at auction in 1999, whilst originally looking for a small city runaround type thing.

Because it wasn't an estate the dealers ignored it and I got it for a steal.

Since that time I can quite happily say it has been the most "complete", well equiped and capable car I have ever owned.

Regards and see you tomorrow.

flyingbrick
Sunday 25th January 2009, 13:56
I know its been said before.

But I love the wolf in sheeps clothing thingy......:smileypul

Pete_T5
Sunday 25th January 2009, 14:36
Comfort, styling, reliability, safety, equipment level, smart design features, understated performance (with my old T5) & fuel economy (with my current D5). I don't know what it is about the seats but no other manufacturer comes close for comfort. They're the only cars i don't get backache in on long journeys. And i love the fact they're heated this time of year too! Standard sound system is awesome.

Saaamon
Sunday 25th January 2009, 15:06
Subtle, safe, comfortable, cheap to insurance and for the money there's nothing that comes close to straight line perforamce :)

Saaamon

My T5
Sunday 25th January 2009, 16:51
Scarily quick,subtle,cheap to insure,practical for a large family,good spec and best of all the "what the hell was that" look when you blow a hot hatch or so called performance car away!

preacher38
Sunday 25th January 2009, 17:32
i agree with the comments abot people in their so called " performance cars " had a muppet on the m62 in a new bmw 530 being a ££££ and tailgating me in the outside lane , the look on his face was priceless when i left him , and as for comfort i went to cornwall in the old gal last year and it was such a stress free drive with it being so comfortable and as everyone says they are very reliable .... dont see many at the side of the road with the hazards on ....

vince.

mikouk
Sunday 25th January 2009, 18:19
I like Volvo's because friday I was zooming down a twisty B road having great fun. The next I had it loaded up with ten bags of rubble in the back, 4 bits of plasterboard on the roof and a trailer full of fire wood on the back. I'd like to see someone get that amount of diverse practicality out of a scooby!

Hunter
Sunday 25th January 2009, 21:07
2.5 litre turbo with 4WD, my kinda car :) Last five cars have been similar (2x Subarus, 3x Mitsubishis) :D

walter leever
Sunday 25th January 2009, 21:29
I bought it 7 years ago because one of my 2 dogs didn't stop growing.:slap:

and he was looking to me through the back-vieuw mirror like;"he man it's time

for a bigger car",so out went the williams(sorry)and enter the volvo.:shhh:

I aswell as alot of others thought volvo was an "old man" car,and thought

the seller was taking a piss at me,saying it had 250horses,i said"sure"and

looked at him as if he was mad/drunk.:drunk:

15 minutes later i floored it and thought"sweet Jezus"and bought it on the spot.:beer:

SO THE REASON:fast(very),roomy,safe,reliable and a timeless design,i still

love it to bits.

Storm-Troll
Sunday 25th January 2009, 21:44
Brought mine coz it goes with my Pipe & Slippers..

walter leever
Sunday 25th January 2009, 21:50
Brought mine coz it goes with my Pipe & Slippers..

Wanted to post that first,but then i made up an epic story:shhh:

JelT5
Friday 20th February 2009, 08:46
Sold my Transit Connect (which was a pile of ££££e) last October and decided on a T5 because:
(1) I was moving to France, giving up being a plumber to teach music full time and I wanted a quick, reliable, comfortable car to make journeys back to the UK (smuggling etc lol)
(2) I'd always fancied one
(3)

nobody expects to be crapped over by a boxy old volvo lol i just love to see their faces!

zoomungus says it all...

wegal
Friday 20th February 2009, 12:12
A proper car with a turbo charger. Wanted a car with a turbo and the choices where pretty limited ( didnt want a weasel)

scooby = plastic fantastic and every one would think I was a drug dealer
Mitsubishi = Oh god no. Owned one before not a tuurbo model but a galant - most expensive car on the planet to fix.
Exotica - not enough money.

Then I got taken for a ride in a mental s40 ( cheers slomo) and decided then and there it was going to be a volvo. They dont feel plastic, they dont break, they are comfortable and no one thinks Im a drug dealing boy racer.

Rufe
Friday 20th February 2009, 13:38
around the time i bought my c70 i was looking at a various cars to buy, and was getting tempted to go japanese. i did consider a few different performance jap cars but then eventually i thought about the C70 T5. To start with the C70 was cheaper than most of the other cars i had looked at. as a bonus it was going to be much cheaper to run as my daily driver, and quite likely to be more reliable anyway. I knew the C70's well for obvious reasons, where i had no real idea about any of the jap cars or how they were to live with, so eventually thought it would be more sensible to get a volvo seeing as i would have many benefits of doing so by working in a volvo dealership. I am glad i did now, the car is a real jeckyl and hyde... a very comfortable car, very refined and smooth, but when you want it to be it can be a monster, with more than enough power to see off pretty much most cars that will try it on, it does this while looking pretty inconspicuous, no big spoilers and body kits or massive exhausts or intercoolers showing. the C70 has only ever let me down on one occasion in almost 3 years, and that was because of a dead battery thanks to a faulty boot lock unit. Not bad for a 10 year old daily driver running that sort of bhp lets be honest.

Simon

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th February 2009, 14:14
C70 is not that practical - though with effort you can get a lot in it - just that the appatures are not so big. I still like the way my car looks. I havent really seen anything I would like more - without going into serious money.

My only regret is these rims.

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/C70_Silver_19s/bgi_rear_ns.JPG

within a year - they looked knackered.

When I get the time I will get them done properly

I guess I would like to do something more impressive with the engine before I finally give in and buy something with kiddies in mind.

PaulZX
Friday 20th February 2009, 15:48
I wanted cossie power without the chavvy car, and I've got 5 kids, so more seats were needed. :worship:

Now she's got an 806 pug 8 seater, I've taken over the boot in the T5, and put a chavvy 3000w subwoofer in there.... :doh:

Bob France
Friday 20th February 2009, 23:48
I got overtaken by a T5 in Italy when I was doing 130mph in a mates alfa,looked like I was in reverse,then I saw a programme on telly about the plod in Wales using T5's to chase ram raiders in scooby's etc,I was sold immediately.I used it for work everyday in London for call outs [lots of stop start] never let me down.Got to be one of the best all round cars on the road.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 21st February 2009, 00:19
before i finally give in and buy something with kiddies in mind.

xc90?

flyingbrick
Saturday 21st February 2009, 00:31
ovlovs are made by swidish blonde female babes......

Dont anyone tell me any different.....Please......

cameron
Saturday 21st February 2009, 16:12
I sort of stumbled on the T5.

I was looking for something with 7 seats and as F...F...Fo...Ford Galaxys and the like were too much money ( i had 1K ) my mate said to me on the way home from another wasted viewing, " why not go for an estate car ? "

I looked at stuff like Pug 405 tdi and Old mercs and then stumbled on an ad in the Loot for my first Volvo 850 T5.

It was a 1 lady owner car and was only being sold as they bought a V70, so it was sat doing nothing.

In the end i payed £650 with 10 months mot and 5 months tax, it was on a 95 N reg with 104k on it and the CD spec, so all the bells and whistles and 7 seats.

I was well chuffed on the test drive when she said " floor it, shock yourself " so i did and ive never looked back :D

Long Live the Ovlov !

I'll never have another brand of car :B_thumb:

Lee

Storm-Troll
Saturday 21st February 2009, 18:31
Wanted to post that first,but then i made up an epic story:shhh:

lol..... Another reason I brought My R is.. How many R's do u see on the road.. and how many Scoobies are flying about.... Nuff said..... its all in the numbers.:banana:

Bob France
Saturday 21st February 2009, 21:11
Spot on storm troll,I looked for 18 months before I found an R that finally ticked all the boxes [Carpy's old R].Not quite as rare as rocking horse s#*t,but going that way!!! lol

thebadger
Saturday 21st February 2009, 22:13
I agree with ST, the number of uber loud, and lets be honest, ugly scoobies kicking about is getting to be depressing.

I got my V70 as I needed lots of boot/load space (which my last car did have more of.. but meh..) and I also wanted a bit of performance!

The Volvo will always tick both boxes & can usually upset most hot hatch drivers, old bmw drivers, any ford driver, etc, etc.

They rarely see the volvo as something to worry about... till it has left them standing.

Raced a focus ST once.

He gave in after I left him 3 times!

dob
Saturday 21st February 2009, 22:31
cant do 150mph with a wardrobe in the back of a scooby!!!!
and i have never seen another manual R in gunmetal grey. (took me over a year to find mine)
dob

t5lover
Sunday 22nd February 2009, 16:11
i was mad into rangerover p38 and classics and rover sd1 vitesse and at the time i had a lovely rangerover p38 4.6 v8 all the bits had a few probs then thought i would sell it and i saw my t5 estate on ebay and brought it there and then i went to guys house and thought i broought a volvo lol not to happy about it really then i took it down the road and that was me sold i will never look back to any rover again volvos all the way!!!!

Saaamon
Sunday 1st March 2009, 18:58
lol..... Another reason I brought My R is.. How many R's do u see on the road.. and how many Scoobies are flying about.... Nuff said..... its all in the numbers.:banana:

The only R's i see are my mates cars.

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 1st March 2009, 19:33
The only R's i see are my mates cars.

I see loads of R's :worship:but also have an Evo as well so guess i am lucky the reaction you get on the road to the two cars is totally different in the Evo people will let you out at junctions and not hog the outside lane :shifty: but in the Peril people tend to want to get you out of the way and take no notice of you behind them as volvo's are only viewed by the misinformed as slow and boring :bow_kneel :)

oh how silly people can be.....

Russ

jdavis
Sunday 1st March 2009, 21:11
but in the Peril people tend to want to get you out of the way and take no notice of you behind them as volvo's are only viewed by the misinformed as slow and boring :bow_kneel :)

oh how silly people can be.....

Russ

so true, i've had so many near misses in the v70 lately, none of which have been my fault!

danny-R
Monday 2nd March 2009, 16:34
i'm on a mission to be the fastest plasterer in the north-east!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd March 2009, 09:51
i'm on a mission to be the fastest plasterer in the north-east!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do that involve using some sort of speed trowel?

This one does upto 155rpm

http://www.concrete-catalog.com/multiquip_whiteman_walk_behind_power_trowel_hpha36 48h.html

I found on the internet reports of one guy who can do over 200 metres of roughing in 1 day and skim most of it too. (whatever that means)

thebadger
Tuesday 3rd March 2009, 10:41
so true, i've had so many near misses in the v70 lately, none of which have been my fault!

Get a white P2...

For some obscure reason all the fast lane motorway traffic just gets right out your way!

Also everyone drives at 30mph in front of you in town!

The joys! :rolleyes: