PDA

View Full Version : Nivomats or standard shocks on rear?

siamblue
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 23:40
As some of you might know i have had lowered springs fitted all round now courtesy of trusty Dave Red and his torque wrench

What i want to know is what do Nivomats look like? Reason i ask is my car is real low at the front but on the rear there is about 2inch gap between arch and tyre, When i get a lower profile tyres soon the gap will be even bigger,
Is it probably because the car is ex plod and had these as standard or it might be just S70 T5 standard shox, Is there a way of telling between the 2 and if so then i would get S70R shox to replace the rears to bring it all into line.

Gary

nikgallagher
Thursday 12th May 2005, 08:17
Are you gonna take all the back apart again Gary! I thought you were changing springs and dampers before? Sorry to deviate!

Al115
Thursday 12th May 2005, 10:09
I thought Nivomats were only fitted to Estates?

Suppose that it's possible that the police fitted them to the Saloons as well, seems unlikely though.

Alastair

Martinr
Thursday 12th May 2005, 10:35
Nivomats are self levelling. Like Alastair I think these are only applicable to estates.

They are very pricey to replace!

siamblue
Thursday 12th May 2005, 14:11
It's only a 3 bolt job to replace the rear shock, I have heard that the Police because they have all of their emergency gear in the back they uprate the rear suspension, Maybe it's just the difference between the S70 and the S70r that makes the difference in ride height.As i have lowered springs now i want that level look on my car.

Redbrick
Thursday 12th May 2005, 15:36
What i want to know is what do Nivomats look like?

OK, when fitted there will be a rubber gaiter at the bottom and the top half is wider than a coke can, way fatter than a standard shock absorber. Shame, I've just sold mine and put them in the post this morning, I could have taken a picture.

JackT5
Thursday 12th May 2005, 22:55
Ummm, plod did fit them to saloons cos mines got them. I'll go along with redbricks description although i'm sure mine aren't quite that big in diameter.

siamblue
Friday 13th May 2005, 00:21
Mine have got rubber gaitors on the bottom and they are quite wide at the top.I didn't think they looked standard did you Wobbly Dave?
So looks like i have Nivomats too,Plus i tried to compress one at the weekend and it was too strong to move at all.

Berts70R
Friday 13th May 2005, 12:06
I replaced my springs with genuine ones and shocks with monroe. The shocks are the same on the t5 as they are on the R its the springs that are lower

siamblue
Friday 13th May 2005, 14:18
Many thanks for that Bert much appreciated.