PDA

View Full Version : white top injectors

Niles
Saturday 24th January 2009, 00:15
my car is running orange injectors ('96 80 T5), I've got a rica 304, modified jetex pipe soon to be de-catted, also, soon to be fitted fully refurbed 16T & me7 manifold, lots of other mods including a Walboro 255 pump, I wont bore you with the full list of things done. Can I fit a set of white injectors ok? Straight swap for a drop more fuel at full blat? Turbos going to be pushing 18-ish psi. Ta!

volvolised
Saturday 24th January 2009, 00:53
my car is running orange injectors ('96 80 T5), I've got a rica 304, modified jetex pipe soon to be de-catted, also, soon to be fitted fully refurbed 16T & me7 manifold, lots of other mods including a Walboro 255 pump, I wont bore you with the full list of things done. Can I fit a set of white injectors ok? Straight swap for a drop more fuel at full blat? Turbos going to be pushing 18-ish psi. Ta!

Have you got the whites yet as i have some for sale (not cleaned)..in answer to the thread you seriously need a custom map, how far modded is your car going to be from even a generic 304 map to handle...loads....great mods but they arent plug and play .....if it works it wont be safe (prob bend your rods,) and you wont get anywhere near the best from it...get a ebc might protect the engine from boost spike if not mapped for the mods.....

Niles
Saturday 24th January 2009, 01:02
all the mods to my car have been considered & installed with reliability in mind. I have a set of white tops waiting for me, I have 1st dibs on a set from a guy very local to me. My car handles power fine. I've also spoken to Hamish @ HLM & Russel at RT, both say the things done to my car are safe & can handle more 'ooooooomph', its very fast as it is, I just don't want it to run lean with more air from the 16T.
A custom map is on my mind tho, when I spoke to Hamish @ HLM he said that a custom map isn't necessary yet. Still lots of room for improvement & performance upgrades before a full fat custom map is/will be required.

walter leever
Saturday 24th January 2009, 01:05
so you have the 850R set-up(nice)goes like stink:wave23d:

volvolised
Saturday 24th January 2009, 01:11
all the mods to my car have been considered & installed with reliability in mind. I have a set of white tops waiting for me, I have 1st dibs on a set from a guy very local to me. My car handles power fine. I've also spoken to Hamish @ HLM & Russel at RT, both say the things done to my car are safe & can handle more 'ooooooomph', its very fast as it is, I just don't want it to run lean with more air from the 16T.
A custom map is on my mind tho, when I spoke to Hamish @ HLM he said that a custom map isn't necessary yet. Still lots of room for improvement & performance upgrades before a full fat custom map is/will be required.

I'll stand corrected then... but not from the bit that you wont get the best from it without a custom map....but i still think :hbomb ::doh: i do hope all goes well for you but be careful.....

PNuT
Saturday 24th January 2009, 08:26
the obvious thing to do would be fit a wideband afr meter

Enigma666
Saturday 24th January 2009, 09:05
Ok...with larger injectors and a larger turbo...for starters the car will not run as well as it should because the map is not configured for the air flow of the 16T properly. The whites are larger so if anything you will run rich but at less duty cycle for the injectors. To get the most out of the setup go custom map. It is unlikely you will run lean but there are no guarantees due to the larger turbo (although it's not really any massive increase)

HTH

Niles
Saturday 24th January 2009, 10:59
the obvious thing to do would be fit a wideband afr meter

I know nothing about wideband afr's. Would you please be kind enough to explain what benefits it would have & are they a mare to install?

BruceT
Saturday 24th January 2009, 11:13
Benifits of a Wideband AFR are imense, even on a standard car - Really.

It measure the richness or leaness of the fuel so you can monitor it yourself to see at WOT (Or any throttle posistion for that matter) your going lean, normal or rich or anywhere inbetween.

With it been "wideband" its not just "Lean or Rich" like a Norrow band AFR... you get a FULL scale of exactly what is happening, in real time.

With your mods its a must imo. Some people say its a MUST on any car before ANY tuning.

Niles
Saturday 24th January 2009, 11:34
are they hard to install? Wheres a good place to get one? (sounds expensive already)

BruceT
Saturday 24th January 2009, 12:07
I think a few people are using Innovate Wideband AFR.

Ive never fitted one but you have to tap into the exhaust (I think) and cost about £180-200+ I think for a decent kit.

But, if it saves your engine from running lean (Ie, you see its lean once and sort the problem) rather then running lean, without knowing and blowing/damaging an engine which would cost £££££ a £200-300 bit of kit is good money...

volvolised
Saturday 24th January 2009, 13:55
I was going to get to the afr's last night but was getting late and you guys have summed it up. I have the innovate wideband on mine IIRC it will cost you about £230 ish, you'll need a spare boss on your downpipe to fit a sensor to if not got one on current downpipe one can be welded on.....if fitted before a custom map will help the mapper significantly when live mapping..

Saaamon
Sunday 25th January 2009, 01:35
You'll need a custom map either way, you can't simply put the injectors or 16t turbo in and expect it to work to its full. If your going down that route why not run whites and an 18t, if you have a later 15g it will bolt straight on to your downpipe, for the work involved its really not worth upgrading to a 16t.

Saaamon

Tim Williams
Sunday 25th January 2009, 08:53
If you don't need your car to get to work or for any other important duties then the worst you could have to do is change the engine if the fueling is lean. If you do need the car it would be wise to heed the warnings about an AFR gauge.

I would only trust the advice of someone saying your car will be fine after those mods if they have checked the car over correctly for the mods or have supplied you with an insurance under written guarantee. Ask yourself will they pay out if it goes bang...

cragmaz
Sunday 25th January 2009, 12:05

Be VERY,VERY careful with the fuelling and boost, i know 1st hand what happens when it all goes pete tong. :slap:

When i first got my T5, it was running a 19t, too much boost and too lean on orange injectors, along with a suicidal map , i ended up having to replace the engine, as the bottom end gave up big stylee.

Along with the replacement engine, i put in a set of blue injectors in and am currently running a standard ecu, sounds wierd, i know, but had it on the dyno last sunday, and everything is ££££ on putting out a healthy 248.9 BHP, with 12psi of boost, she drives very nice.:)

The old "mental" ecu has had its chip removed and wiped clean, and when my brother in law (with the dyno) gets back from holiday, were gunna live map it, but still keeping the boost sensible, gunna aim for about 16psi or so, and we should make about 275/280 bhp, which is well enough, and more importantly SAFE
18/19psi is right on the limit of the standard bottom end, and if you get the fuelling ever so slightly wrong its curtains, people are ok giving advice over the phone and saying that it should be ok, but you need it custom mapping on a dyno, where you can monitor AFR`s, and boost throughout the rev range.

My advice is just be very,very careful :worried:

Niles
Sunday 25th January 2009, 14:53
thanks craig. My reasons for going for a 16T are exactly for the reason you mentioned re 19T,way to much boost etc. I've considered all the way along tweeking my car not to go to mad to quickly. Hence the 16T. I found these links very useful & take advice & ideas from these sources.

http://www.wothrline.com/Cars_engine/HW/fuel_injectors.htm

And very interesting.......http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=10961