PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Noise??!

dannt5
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 22:30
Ive had a odd noise for about a week or so.Just after the cars started it makes a noise like the power steering pump is whinning,so i decided to swop the pump...but also thought id do the water pump & the V belt pully at the same time. Imagine my joy when i stripped the timing belt to find the idler pully seized solid!!!! When i did the belt 2yrs ago it had a full pully kit & it hasnt done that many miles either.Think i was pretty lucky it didnt snap the belt & leave me with full rebuild....again:grumpy:

Saaamon
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 23:33
That was a close call!!

AndysR
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 23:39
Blimey that was lucky.. :)

Although disappointing a part fitted only two years ago has failed already when I am sure they should last longer. Was it genuine Volvo?

dangerstevie
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 12:17
Did the noise go away when it was warm? or just random because i have the same noise as you have described

dannt5
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 23:14
It was a genuine part & should def last longer than 2years,more like 5/6 or 70,000miles! im just pleased i caught it when i did. The noise did go away when hot so i think i wouldnt drive your much further without getting it checked mate.

james
Sunday 5th June 2011, 07:43
hello there i was reading an old problem post

i think i have the same noise like a buzzing fuel pumpish whyne , the noise on mine is only constant on tickover if i rev my car slightly or up the revs it stops , do you think the cam belt tensioner has gone on mine i only had them changed 2 years ago like yours?? obviously i dont want to be driving her if im going to snap the belt and possibly kill the engine

cheers james

PHIL V70R
Sunday 5th June 2011, 09:55
Ive had a odd noise for about a week or so.Just after the cars started it makes a noise like the power steering pump is whinning,so i decided to swop the pump...but also thought id do the water pump & the V belt pully at the same time. Imagine my joy when i stripped the timing belt to find the idler pully seized solid!!!! When i did the belt 2yrs ago it had a full pully kit & it hasnt done that many miles either.Think i was pretty lucky it didnt snap the belt & leave me with full rebuild....again:grumpy:
same here on the v70r..till its warm it sings a bit, strange sort of a noise will be checking mine late..:shockedbi

james
Sunday 5th June 2011, 13:50
hello anybody got any other suggestions to this problem? cheers james

AndysR
Sunday 5th June 2011, 14:10
The noise you maybe hearing is the oil cooler pipes resonating when the engine is cold. Ever since I've been running mine on thinner oil for the first few minutes of the engine running there is a noise as if the power steering is on full lock, only slightly muffled. I've investigated the noise and it's the sound of the oil cooler pipes vibrating when the engine is cold, I can only assume that the oil thermostat is not completely closing when cold so there is a small amount of oil bypass when the engine is cold and the oil pressure is high, I've had new pipes, cambelt, water pump, tensioners, pas pump and air con compressor. All for different reasons other than this particular noise but changing all of the above have made no difference to the noise and it's been doing it since about 88k when I changed oil grade, it's now on 106k in that time the noise and duration haven't altered. My brothers S70 has also been making the same noise since switching to a thinner fully synthetic oil.

Perhaps this is the noise your hearing, in any case it's worth investigation to make sure it's not something else that's more serious...

james
Sunday 5th June 2011, 14:27
The noise you maybe hearing is the oil cooler pipes resonating when the engine is cold. Ever since I've been running mine on thinner oil for the first few minutes of the engine running there is a noise as if the power steering is on full lock, only slightly muffled. I've investigated the noise and it's the sound of the oil cooler pipes vibrating when the engine is cold, I can only assume that the oil thermostat is not completely closing when cold so there is a small amount of oil bypass when the engine is cold and the oil pressure is high, I've had new pipes, cambelt, water pump, tensioners, pas pump and air con compressor. All for different reasons other than this particular noise but changing all of the above have made no difference to the noise and it's been doing it since about 88k when I changed oil grade, it's now on 106k in that time the noise and duration haven't altered. My brothers S70 has also been making the same noise since switching to a thinner fully synthetic oil.

Perhaps this is the noise your hearing, in any case it's worth investigation to make sure it's not something else that's more serious...

hi and thanks for the reply, when i get my fuel pump sorted hopefully monday or tuesday i will get onto looking at the cam belt and tensioner see if that is all ok, i have allways used the same oil 'carlube 10w40 semi synthetic' for three years and this noise has only just cropped up within the last few weeks, i have had a new radiator fitted recently but dont think that has anything to do with it? the noise stops as soon as i press the accellarator?? i cant remember now if the sounds stops once the engine is hot i havnt drove it in a few days now i'll let you know soon. am hoping its simple and not deeper seeded
thanks again james