PDA

View Full Version : Water loss confusion!

mikouk
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 23:21
My dads losing water from his car. He keeps filling it up but its still going through a tank a week. He's had it pressure tested with no results and theres no water inside the car so its not the heater matrix.

Any ideas guys and girls? its a 2001 P2 V70 T5 by the way.

Also he has a rattle behind the passenger side vent. Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark

Loadsamiles
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 04:32
My dads losing water from his car. He keeps filling it up but its still going through a tank a week. He's had it pressure tested with no results and theres no water inside the car so its not the heater matrix.

Any ideas guys and girls? its a 2001 P2 V70 T5 by the way.

Also he has a rattle behind the passenger side vent. Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark

Yeah it's probably a split hose.

Mine was doing it 2 weeks ago.

It was loosing water at the strangest times and not others.

The split was next to a jubilee clip and only the size of a pin. when the temp got up to operating temps it started spraying out, but it did still hold pressure in the expansion tank.

Check all hoses near their clips.

I fixed mine with a pair of scissors. I just cut 25mm off the end and re-terminated the hose.

PNuT
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 05:28
also check the cap itself.....

water can also be lost as the car cools down if a jubilee clip is not tight enough as the diferent parts expand/contract diferently

mikouk
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 09:01
Thanks guys, but would those problems have not shown themselves during the pressure test?

Enigma666
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 09:27
Not likely, unless they pressure tested the system beyond its normal operating pressures. Even then it's all about hose expansion rather than the pressure being put through the system.
Check it over night...measure it last thing at night then again in the morning and see what the outcome is, that will give you more idea of the issue at least :)

Baj
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 16:12
I had a leak on the inside of a 90deg bend in a hose. Was a bugger to find. A tiny hole and only leaked once the pipe warmed up.

Get it up to temp and give all the pipes a good wiggle. Watch for boiling water in the face :)

It should really be leaving obvious puddles somewhere.

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 17:59
I had a small leak next to the top hose, only showed up when the car was hot. Had the thing checked but it didn't show up until someone opened the bonnet when she was really hot and noticed a small drip of water.

Fixed with the help of a screwdriver.

CONDYBOY
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 21:44
Go-on be a devil, put some washing up liquid in the cooling system and start the engine, let it come up to normal temp and look for the bubbles.

daveforber
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 00:29
Water loss in my (limited) experience is due to any of the following, in order of cost:

1. Poor attachment of a water hose clip
2. Split hoses (coolant-coloured puddles)
3. Leaking radiator caps (it boils away slowly - you may see steam)
4. Leaking radiator (look for crystals of coolant on it)
5. Failing water pump (some leak to say they're on the way out, don't know if Volvo's pumps do this)
6. Head gasket (see if the engine temp is running very high and/or there is mayonnaise on the oil filler or radiator cap)

1, 2 and 4 can be temporarily repaired with something like RadWeld, which is often a controversial recommendation!

cez97t5
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 01:02
HI
Please check the contimination in engine and transmission oil
Check in night time with hand light for a steam from any hose connections and from radiator caps when engine in a normal temperature and running in idle mod or time to time force engine to 3000-4000 rpm
İf you using OAT (organic acid technology) antifreeze red or orange color the location of the lost area of cooland need to be have film at the same color at cooland color
good luck
Of the short time ago I be have the same problem and find them from the radiator caps in steam faze in night from car light and use chemichal treatment for fix radiator leaks, but not use all treatment because have risk to pluging radiator tube, need to be careful when using the same treatment.

01c70t5
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 02:16
common problem is the expansion cap failing... check it for signs of hot coolant leaking, or run it up to temp and check for a leak.

if not, it's a pipe and a bugger to find!

mikouk
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 11:20
Go-on be a devil, put some washing up liquid in the cooling system and start the engine, let it come up to normal temp and look for the bubbles.

Is that ok to do that?!!!!