PDA

View Full Version : Making it outrun a 1.25 fiesta?

Dgp850
Monday 19th January 2009, 23:32
In the same way I'd like to win the lottery, I want to find some cheap and easy way of boosting performance; I cannot usefully pull away from my mates 1.25 fiesta until the top end of 4th gear, which leads me to believe that either the car is just plain too heavy for its power output, or something is strangling it. I appreciate that on a 1995 car, its not going to be as quick as it once was, but its disappointing to struggle with a tiny engined hatch. I am in full time education, so money is incomprehensibly tight. Weight reduction aside, what would you say is the best way of spending around £100 on a N/A 2.0 20v, engine cleaning and restoration of any lost power, or performance modification? I know good power gains are hard to come by on the non-turbo models, especially for such a tiny sum of money, but I am so very miffed that my Volvo's ridiculous fuel consumption isnt alluded to by any straight line clout. Or am I merely misjudging torque and power curves and their respectively produced optimum shift points? I always thought i had to clock up a redline shift due to that gutless area that seems to hang below 3.5k rpm.

Thankyou, Daniel

AndysR
Monday 19th January 2009, 23:37
A decent service goes along way and I have heard that these engines love the rev's how true that is I shall leave for someone else to clarify though

PaulZX
Monday 19th January 2009, 23:40
I can't wait till you get a T5, you'll love the difference.

Dgp850
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 00:20
If i could just magic a t5 engine in there and have everything else sorted out for me, esp insurance, i would probably weep like couple getting married. I have been at various gatherings and had people mutter 'Is that a t5' and walk round the back of the car to check, and then be disappointed. I am planning on cracking out some injector cleaner and assorted goods of that nature. I run the car on V Power in the hope itll help with the inevitable decline in engine condition as time wears on. Because the car has never had any real problems, nothing has been replaced, so its 145k into engine wear and muck. Getting tappety too. Although I have consulted father dear and he insists there is nothing to worry about and he knows his stuff. In fact sometimes i wish something would go wrong enough for me to want a new engine. I say that, but i dont mean it.

cheers guys :)

wegal
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 09:48
Your never going to get massive performance from that engine. I have an 850 with the same engine that we use as a work car. its utterly guttless, however if rev the tits off it it will go. Try injector cleaner, new air filter, plugs oil and filter.

The 1.25 fiesta engine is modern by equivelent and will probably be putting out as much bhp as your block, its just not trying to lug around all that weight. The 2.0 850 was built for old people to chug around in, not young un to race around in. soryy but its never going to be a quick car.

timbo_1975
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 10:23
Definately a stage 0 tune up will help alittle, if it is fundementally healthy underneath.

The first 850 we had was the 2.0 20v and i have to say it was disappointing- very little happened before 3500rpm as you say- very typical of first generation small capacity multi-valvers.

You wont get more than ~5hp or so from your £100. Save the money for the pub.

The single most effective acceloration improvement method is the one you have mentioned- weight loss.

If it helps- the 1.25 fiesta's are well known to be alot more sprightly than they have a right to be, and they're in a light body shell that allows it to handle respectively...

Tim.

PaulZX
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 12:12
A straight through exhaust with a decat pipe might get things flowing a bit earlier than 3500rpm...

lance
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 14:07
I had an 850 2.0 20v but it was 8 years ago the car was newer then and had 82k on the clock if I remember rightly 0-60 was around 10 seconds and it maxed out at just over 125 mph, okay not the fastest car but if you kept the revs up it wasnt too bad although 85 mph 5 up on a steep hill she didnt pull very well

woz
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 14:30
In the same way I'd like to win the lottery, I want to find some cheap and easy way of boosting performance; I cannot usefully pull away from my mates 1.25 fiesta until the top end of 4th gear, which leads me to believe that either the car is just plain too heavy for its power output, ......
Thankyou, Daniel

Suggest you spend £100 and get a 1.4 fiesta.
Actually you should get £500 for the volvo and save £200 pa in petrol, so that would leave you with 800 to spend.
But if you need the space of the Volvo , you could try a citroen BX - they are quite light and VERY cheap. My 1.4 was guite nippy and fitted more in the back than my 850 estate. (Really!!)
W

Saaamon
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 22:24
Do some overtime and buy a T5! I'm 19 and my 850R is worryingly cheap to insure considering the power and the young driver group that i fall in to.

Saaamon

AndysR
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 22:34
Do some overtime and buy a T5! I'm 19 and my 850R is worryingly cheap to insure considering the power and the young driver group that i fall in to.

Saaamon

If you don't mind me asking... to the nearest hundred what is your insurance premium per annum? :)

Saaamon
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 23:04
If you don't mind me asking... to the nearest hundred what is your insurance premium per annum? :)

From Admiral - 2 1/2 years driving 2 NCB, £1211 fully comp.

AndysR
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 23:13
From Admiral - 2 1/2 years driving 2 NCB, £1211 fully comp.

Thats cheap for your age... does your other half know your having an affair with your insurance broker! lol

Saaamon
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 23:21
Thats cheap for your age... does your other half know your having an affair with your insurance broker! lol

Haha!

Saaamon

Dgp850
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 10:32

Saaamon

Thats incredible! It gives me hope at least! 19 with an R... envy of all your mates much?!? 1200 is right on the money, just need that tasty couple of years experience.

Saaamon
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 00:12
Thats incredible! It gives me hope at least! 19 with an R... envy of all your mates much?!? 1200 is right on the money, just need that tasty couple of years experience.

I get the odd comments of jelously, "its an old mans car" - "its an estate".. But thats part of the fun really. How old are you may i ask?

Saaamon

Dan850T5
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 00:30
I pay £130 a month third party fire and theft and im 20 so you have a very good deal there mate, but i am selling mine now

Dgp850
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 00:45
I get the odd comments of jelously, "its an old mans car" - "its an estate".. But thats part of the fun really. How old are you may i ask?

Saaamon

Im a wee bairn. 17, 18 in June. I do consider myself lucky enough to have a good insurance deal on a 2.0 as a first car, though I get the same 'old mans car' jibes, but there are a select few who respect it for being quite a beast compared to the other 1.1 and 1.2s that knock around college. It may not be for much longer though, as im out of a job. Nightmare.

Saaamon
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 08:41

No His Other Half Does Not Know!
(Abbie)

zoomungus
Thursday 22nd January 2009, 09:46
get a t5 or a solid fuel rocket used to aid takeoff on the big transports............not recommended