PDA

View Full Version : Better MPG out my T5

cameron
Saturday 17th January 2009, 16:44
A while back i wasnt getting any higher than 15mpg around town and 30mpg on a run,:(

Changing from a manual to an auto i thought it was to be expected, along with the extra power from the HLM 304.

But yesterday i flushed the engine and put new oil in her ( Castrol GTX 10w 40 as it states on top of my oil filler cap ;)), along with new sparkies and an oil filter.

Now im getting 18+ around town and 35+ on a run, just shows what a diference the little changes make :B_thumb:

Lee

zoomungus
Saturday 17th January 2009, 23:45
full boost= 7.2mpg in mine :p

zoomungus
Saturday 17th January 2009, 23:47
How do you flush the engine?

cameron
Sunday 18th January 2009, 00:52
I bought some Wynns engine flush mate.

Put the contents of the can in the engine and leave it tick over for 15 minutes then let it cool for 10 minutes before you drain all the old oil out.

Replace with nice new oil

Easy job seems to make a bit of a difference

Cheers

Lee

zoomungus
Sunday 18th January 2009, 18:55
sound. do think this would clean the pcv too?

My T5
Sunday 18th January 2009, 19:09
I tend to get better mpg when the wife is in the car for some reason??!! Otherwise i get ear ache for some reason!!

dangerstevie
Sunday 18th January 2009, 19:23
The wynns engine flush is well worth doing at every oil change, it helps remove carbon deposits in your engine (barring your turbo). I cant see it making a difference to the PCV system because thats an external breather system. that will require work all on its own.

zoomungus
Sunday 18th January 2009, 19:24
I tend to get better mpg when the wife is in the car for some reason??!! Otherwise i get ear ache for some reason!!

thats strange because i also get better mpg and a constant drone in my left ear when the mrs is onboard too, thought it was a wheel bearing but its too irritating to be that...................

dangerstevie
Sunday 18th January 2009, 19:27
just plant your foot and the irritating drone will soon be drowned out by the song of the 5 pot.......however MPG will suffer lol

zoomungus
Sunday 18th January 2009, 19:54
The wynns engine flush is well worth doing at every oil change, it helps remove carbon deposits in your engine (barring your turbo). I cant see it making a difference to the PCV system because thats an external breather system. that will require work all on its own.

ah...but the pcv has an oil separator and i thought that maybe some of the flush would find its way into the pcv and out of the oil return thus cleaning the gauze and saving me a job till i have the time. maybe??

zoomungus
Sunday 18th January 2009, 19:55
just plant your foot and the irritating drone will soon be drowned out by the song of the 5 pot.......however MPG will suffer lol

er................mpg i care not, so let the foot planting begin!

SteveRuss
Friday 27th February 2009, 13:54

http://www.forteuk.co.uk/ (Forte) make the best cleaners I have ever used. I got wind of the company some years ago. You can only buy it if your trade though but you can get it on Evilbay as well..

SteveR

callyuk
Friday 27th February 2009, 14:07
I bought some Wynns engine flush mate.

Put the contents of the can in the engine and leave it tick over for 15 minutes then let it cool for 10 minutes before you drain all the old oil out.

Replace with nice new oil

Easy job seems to make a bit of a difference

Cheers

Lee

Dont forget oil filter will need changing too when engine flush is used

callyuk
Friday 27th February 2009, 14:09
http://www.forteuk.co.uk/ (Forte) make the best cleaners I have ever used. I got wind of the company some years ago. You can only buy it if your trade though but you can get it on Evilbay as well..

SteveR

Found forte and year ago and its a great product although i havent used the engine flush just the fuel treatment

850 2.5 10v
Friday 27th February 2009, 14:10
I had my oil changed yesterday (Mobil Super S 10/40) too (no flushing as I was recommended this should be avoided)

Reason being it shifts off crud / dirt etc in the engine which may have been stuck harmlessly out of the way.

If its not all completely flushed out it can mean you end up clogging the oil filter and other oil transit areas very quickly which causes other problems of its own...

So best avoided I'm told.

callyuk
Friday 27th February 2009, 14:13
age of the car can come into it but iv never had a problem as long as its done right

cameron
Friday 27th February 2009, 17:57
Cally oil filter was done at the same time :D

Cheers for the heads up though :B_thumb:

callyuk
Friday 27th February 2009, 19:33
I wasnt saying you hadnt changed it was just advising incase people didnt know about doing it as you hadnt said it in you short how to :) sorry if it came across the wrong way

cameron
Friday 27th February 2009, 19:37
No offence taken, crossed wires i think matey :D

Change the oil, change the filter, par for the couse and common sense really ;)

callyuk
Friday 27th February 2009, 19:39
tis indeed but im sure there would be one that would come back and say "you never told me to change the oil filter and now iv nackered my engine"

Axl
Friday 27th February 2009, 21:14
Now im getting 18+ around town and 35+ on a run, just shows what a diference the little changes make :B_thumb:

Lee

How the hell anyone can be so precise about 3mpg god knows...maybe 5+ but 3 doubt it, I know I couldnt.

cameron
Friday 27th February 2009, 22:21
Onboard computer tells all buddy ;)

My T5
Saturday 28th February 2009, 22:40
I average 17mpg in mine.Mostly due to having no roads long enough to have a decent blast just the odd mile of straightish road to get your foot down!

Volvostorm
Saturday 28th February 2009, 23:00
I get between 19-20 out of mine, just changed the plugs, will have to see what happens, it does feel smoother though :)

Axl
Sunday 1st March 2009, 01:24

And do you believe them!

The only true way to work it out (imo) is fill till the first click, do 100 miles or so and fill again.

Storm-Troll
Sunday 1st March 2009, 01:30

lol Mine Tells Lies.... I think it just likes to stop at garages for the break....!!!