PDA

View Full Version : Reverse lights not working

dangerstevie
Saturday 17th January 2009, 11:46
I have finally found out why i cant see anything when i reverse the car......because the reverse lights aint working! So i have checked the bulbs and they are fine, the light clusters work perfectly, so it pretty much leaves the sensor and the wiring to the lights. As yet i have tested neither, are there any common problems with the gearbox sensor packing up or any other fault that will commonly cause the reverse lights to fail?

5seaterT5x2
Saturday 17th January 2009, 13:05
I have finally found out why i cant see anything when i reverse the car......because the reverse lights aint working! So i have checked the bulbs and they are fine, the light clusters work perfectly, so it pretty much leaves the sensor and the wiring to the lights. As yet i have tested neither, are there any common problems with the gearbox sensor packing up or any other fault that will commonly cause the reverse lights to fail?

is it an auto? if so it's likely the PNP switch not the end of the world i paid i think £95 for the switch new and fitted it myself, fiddlyish but nothing major

cameron
Saturday 17th January 2009, 13:38
What he said /\ /\ /\

A weee bit fiddly but not too hard :B_thumb:

Cheers

Lee

850twr
Saturday 17th January 2009, 13:40
i have the same fault, but mines manual.

5seaterT5x2
Saturday 17th January 2009, 14:02
i have the same fault, but mines manual.

not that aquainted with them but i guess there gotta be a switch somewhers?

guess there will be someone along in a bit who knows about em ;-)
personally just slightly off track autos give me a pain on these cars and never again, or maybe i just bin unlucky? ;-)

Niles
Saturday 17th January 2009, 14:06
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/pnpswitch.htm

PNP switch from the USA, good company. worth buying from them.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/15613/nm/1994_1997_Volvo_850_Turbo_PNP_Switch_Aftermarket/category_id/208

gazbak1
Saturday 17th January 2009, 16:03
if they are both Manuel cars it will be the switch on the gearbox common problem.

Gazbak1

dangerstevie
Saturday 17th January 2009, 18:13
Yes mine is a manual too, where is the switch on the Gbox? is it failry easily accessable/ in plain view or is it a total pig

gazbak1
Saturday 17th January 2009, 18:27
no easy job you might have to cut and solder new wires as i think they changed the plugs on the new switch's

any way under the air box on top of the gearbox there should be a large bolt looking thing with 2 terminals and 2 wires coming off.(il try and find a pic)

gazbak1
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/gazbak1/850%20gearbox/850gearbox2.jpg

dangerstevie
Saturday 17th January 2009, 21:26
Thanks for the reply, i just read the volvospeed bay 13, and realised where it is and how much of an easy job it is. Ill be fixing that as soon as i can get a new switch.

mexybhouy
Sunday 18th January 2009, 06:12
mines a 98 v70r awd auto, same problem but if i touch the gear selector slightly they come on! must be a fault with both manual & auto box swiches? another little gremlin no doubt!!!!!!!!!

96T5Andy
Sunday 18th January 2009, 10:02
Thanks for the reply, i just read the volvospeed bay 13, and realised where it is and how much of an easy job it is. Ill be fixing that as soon as i can get a new switch.

the reverse light switch for manual is available from partsforvolvos.com for less than a tenner if memory serves correct. very easy to do even I managed it.