PDA

View Full Version : cambelt change

nathT5
Thursday 15th January 2009, 21:39
how much is the going rate for a T5 cambelt change?
also what parts are needed, what is involved in the job and how long should it take???

thanks.

MrMopp
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:07
If your mechanical knowledge isnt too bad its a DIY job nath :)

nathT5
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:34
not sure about that :worried:

t5 stealth
Friday 16th January 2009, 20:29
if you arnt sure then i would leave it alone as it will cost you a lot more if you get it wrong,
it should only take about an hour if you know what your doin & with the right tools,infact im doing mine tomorrow lol.
if a garage does it then its probably a couple of hundred quid (depends where u go)
the belt isnt expensive,the hydraulic tensioner doesnt have to be changed according to volvo,if you change the tensioner then that part is nearly £100.00 .

t5 pete
Friday 16th January 2009, 21:17
while have the cam belt done i would change the serpantine belt too

t5 stealth
Friday 16th January 2009, 21:22
while have the cam belt done i would change the serpantine belt too

yep thats wot im doin tomorrow aswell lol

Alan M
Friday 16th January 2009, 22:12
Changing the necessary pulleys and belt can be done in around an hour if done a few times before and on a first go wont take too much longer as its a very easy job if you have attempted jobs like this in the past. This link gives you a step by step if you want to tackle the job.http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt2.php It is advisable to make a tool to lock the cams in position before carrying out the work or buy one but you can do it without. I find it easier to cut the older belts off than squeeze around the bottom of the engine block as the new belt is easier to get on.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Friday 16th January 2009, 22:27
mines dew in not too distant future, so thanks for the link Alan

t5 stealth
Saturday 17th January 2009, 02:20
if u use a tipex pen or nail varnish you can mark everything up before you remove anything,then you just make sure all the marks line up when you finished

dangerstevie
Saturday 17th January 2009, 11:40
You want to mark everything even if you use a locking tool. Belt and braces.

cameron
Saturday 17th January 2009, 13:44
Quality Link Alan :B_thumb:

Im pretty good at mechanical stuff, but not sure id tackle this on my own :confused:

Maybe a job for Adam @ Readview when it needs doing ;)

Cheers

Lee

nathT5
Saturday 17th January 2009, 19:11
any ideas what a decent independant garage would charge???

t5 stealth
Saturday 17th January 2009, 20:03
as i said before,probly cost about £200 in averidge garage inc parts