PDA

View Full Version : 850 diet

nathT5
Thursday 15th January 2009, 21:26
what will a poverty spec ex-fuzz T5 estate weigh?
ive been offered one again, quite cheap and i,m thinking again about a race car project.
also, has anyone any experiences of weight loss? figures of seats, trim and airbags that can be lost?

thats the car, not you :biggrin:

cameron
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:05
Are they not about 1700kg :confused:

Cheers

Lee

Saaamon
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:30
Kerb weight for an 850 is 1417kg i believe, not sure if thats for an estate or saloon. I'd be pretty interested in how much the seats and other interior trims weigh aswell.

Saaamon

nathT5
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:31
Are they not about 1700kg :confused:

Cheers

Lee

more like 1400 to 1600 depending on spec i think...

cameron
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:49
Maybe im thinking of my big fat CD Spec with me the Mrs and 4 kids in it :D

Ive seen somewhere the T5 855 is about 1500kg basic spec, think it was on a techy bit on the Autotrader site.

Cheers

Lee

Tomcat
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:50
First thing I'd do is ditch the big piece of fibreglass/kevlar that sits under the headlining. My old ex cop t5 had this and it weighed a ton.

t5 pete
Friday 16th January 2009, 21:26
theres a lot to be striped on the 850's im sure you could get around 200kg+ theres all the seats and replace with bucket seats all the lining door cards rear window motors air con pump etc etc etc etc

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 17th January 2009, 07:58
You will be able to get down to under 1300kgs by removing :

Headlining
door cards
carpets
soundproofing
rear seats
Heating/air system
Side windows (for Polycarb)
Electric window motors
Removing all the unused wiring
Remove bonnet hinges
Door handles
Cut the dashboard in half......plus other bits

I'll remove approx another 100kgs easily by removing:

The Front seats weigh approx 23-25kgs each
sunroof to remove.
bonnet to replace
get some GRP wings made.
change the wheels.......
There is a strenghtening girder accross the floor under the rear seats that I've been told I can remove, but so far I haven't had the guts to cut it out..

The_Rapid_Tank
Saturday 17th January 2009, 09:53
hmmmm i temped to strip my t5 lol will go alot faster i recon.

dangerstevie
Saturday 17th January 2009, 11:34
Best way to do it is to strip it to a bare shell and only put back what is required to make it run and road legal. i.e, leave the subframes, suspension, (no heatshields) exhaust, motor + wiring that is required (you would be surprised how much all the excess wiring would weigh) then ditch all your windows barring the windscreen and replace them with plexi ones (will save prob 50kg's alone!), then tear out all sound deadening and fit 1 lightweight seat and away you go.

nathT5
Saturday 17th January 2009, 19:19
sounds good, they say -45kg is worth half a second a lap on the track.
and would also make a difference on the strip if the weight loss does,nt hamper grip.

tempting...

dangerstevie
Saturday 17th January 2009, 21:28
Hell yeah it would make a difference, the lighter you can get the car the better yor power to weight ratio is and hence the faster your car will be everywhere, (maybe only round the corners when you have addressed the weight distribution of the car after being stripped, easy to do with coilovers)

Mental Wealth Doctor
Sunday 18th January 2009, 21:13
wheels make a big difference, a kg off a wheel is equvilant to 10 kg in the car, so some lighter alloys,