Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:44
u have a slip diff, its a limited one u want ;p

volvolised
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:51
Quaife QDF12J.....

Tomcat
Thursday 15th January 2009, 22:55
Gripper.....

I'd like a slip diff too, then again there's loads of things I'd like but can't afford.

p fandango
Thursday 15th January 2009, 23:11
Gripper.....
WARNING, please avoid the Gripper diff

850twr
Thursday 15th January 2009, 23:31

why whats wrong with em? i nearly bought one for my old capri.

p fandango
Friday 16th January 2009, 04:21
why whats wrong with em? i nearly bought one for my old capri.
a friend of mine has one fitted to their car & has now been off the road for 2 years despite 2 failed atempts by Gripper to fix it. The first time the diff failed (almost causing the car to crash as it unexpectidly caused the car to serwe violently) the customer was made to pay for the diff to be removed, which as its a gearbox out job isn't cheap. For both the manufacture & a retailer to later admit was because of a "known fault" & under customer rights shouldn't cost the customer anything

RT MECHANICS
Friday 16th January 2009, 06:17

Hi P F

Thats not quite a fair statement i have sold a few grippers without a problem and have one on my own car :)

Russ

p fandango
Friday 16th January 2009, 06:29
Hi P F

Thats not quite a fair statement i have sold a few grippers without a problem and have one on my own car :)

Russ
Hi Russ,

it is a fair comment going by my own experiences, another retailer & the manufacture admitted he knew there were "known problems" yet the car in question has still not been fixed

Duane

RT MECHANICS
Friday 16th January 2009, 06:32
Hi Russ,

it is a fair comment going by my own experiences, another retailer publicly admitted he knew there were "known problems" yet the car in question has still not been fixed

Duane

Hi Duane

That was quick :) As i said I have had no problems with the Gripper one customer has had there diff for 2-3 years without fault :)

Russ

zoomungus
Friday 16th January 2009, 06:34
i want slip diff, fed up with 1 wheel drive under large foot action. 750 squid plus fitting :(

p fandango
Friday 16th January 2009, 06:37
Hi Duane

That was quick :) As i said I have had no problems with the Gripper
bored at work mate lol

i appreciate you may not of had any problems, but as i say i know someone who has & their car is still off the road & well out of pocket because of they failed to fix it

one customer has had there diff for 2-3 years without fault :)
can't be fair off needing the plates replaced then can it

Duane

p fandango
Friday 16th January 2009, 06:45
i want slip diff, fed up with 1 wheel drive under large foot action. 750 squid plus fitting :(
for around £500-600 you can get Racelogic traction control, a very good system which has been shown to take about a second off 1/4mile times. This system monitors spin & feeds in as much power as possible while maintaining traction, unlike the TRACS system which just kills power dead when it detects spin

Alan M
Friday 16th January 2009, 08:01
What about the quaiffe ATB diff? Is that the one mentioned earlier in the post^. I know of one being on a focus ST225 since 2004 with no problems so far and many miles and track days under its belt. It may be worth your while having a look at those.

zoomungus
Friday 16th January 2009, 17:07
What about the quaiffe ATB diff? Is that the one mentioned earlier in the post^. I know of one being on a focus ST225 since 2004 with no problems so far and many miles and track days under its belt. It may be worth your while having a look at those.

er could not see one for the 850, wish they did a gear box for same

volvolised
Friday 16th January 2009, 19:59
er could not see one for the 850, wish they did a gear box for same

The quaife QDF12J will fit an 850 or s/v70 M56 gearbox...

Alan M
Friday 16th January 2009, 20:16
Speak to a guy at Competition Transmission Services called Bernie. He will be able to advise you on what will work for you.

zoomungus
Friday 16th January 2009, 20:45
ah ha thanks Al!

t5 stealth
Friday 16th January 2009, 20:46
look for a crashed st focus..............6 speed slipper,
i know someone that had 1 sitting around....was tempted but couldnt be bothered lol

zoomungus
Friday 16th January 2009, 21:09
hmmm..........i see your point, i really want it fitted for me

zoomungus
Friday 16th January 2009, 21:10
for around £500-600 you can get Racelogic traction control, a very good system which has been shown to take about a second off 1/4mile times. This system monitors spin & feeds in as much power as possible while maintaining traction, unlike the TRACS system which just kills power dead when it detects spin

how does the tracs work?

t5 stealth
Friday 16th January 2009, 21:23
how does the tracs work?

badly

zoomungus
Friday 16th January 2009, 21:35
your not wrong lol

Alan M
Friday 16th January 2009, 22:01
The ST comes with a standard open diff and will need a LSD fitted to the M66 box if you want it and to go 6 speed. There is a bit of work involved in fitting an M66 but a guy on this site has done it to a red 850 estate but I can't remember his name.

t5 pete
Saturday 17th January 2009, 06:53
Wheres the best place to get them from and which one do people reccomend also how much are they?

p fandango
Saturday 17th January 2009, 13:10
how does the tracs work?
TRACS is intended as a safety device not a performance one. As soon as TRACS detects spin from any of the wheels it cuts 100% of the power for a brief second, it then reapplies the power & if it still detects spin cuts the power again. Racelogic will feed in as much power as it can before limiting power, if you've got enough traction for 50% throttle as an example it will give it

Al115
Saturday 17th January 2009, 18:03

Funny, I've heard nightmare stories about the Racelogic stuff as well... messing with the fuelling when it shouldn't. I guess it just goes to show that there's always a bad story to tell about every product! :)

p fandango
Saturday 17th January 2009, 22:24
Funny, I've heard nightmare stories about the Racelogic stuff as well... messing with the fuelling when it shouldn't. I guess it just goes to show that there's always a bad story to tell about every product! :)
totally agree, any product can fail for numerous reasons no matter who its made by. How the company reacts & deals with the situation once a customer has a problem then shows the true qualities of the manufacturer

having a customer pay a garage to remove the faulty item when knowing full well several others have already failed due to inferior parts used goes to show the honesty of the company involved.

Please i've got many more examples if you'd like to carry on

Redbrick
Saturday 17th January 2009, 23:28
Racelogic whilst a lot of fun is very very hard to set up properly, took weeks of tinkering to get remotely right. I NEVER had traction issues in my R in my signature, that was Racelogic with the manual R box (with sort of LSD fitted as standard).
Someone got a bargain when they picked it up for £2500 a few years ago.. sadly missed.. occasionally.

Tim Williams
Sunday 18th January 2009, 10:58
Racelogic can play havoc on drive by wire cars and even on earlier cars is no match for a Quaife ATB diff, you do not want to cut power because one wheel is spinning you want to redistribute the power cue Quaife!
A lot of us are aware of your friends supposed issues with diff in here car, my understanding is that she ended up taking it to a Volvo dealer of HER choice and the car received a clean bill of health, is this not correct?

Is your friend also aware of the totally different on road manners of a FWD car with a Quaife ATB fitted, this may be the bit of the drive now that she is unhappy with.

As a good will gesture the next time she is at your house for a full day I will collect her car and exchange the gearbox and diff for a standard T5R one and return the car, all of this for free and I have never even met you, her or the car!

If anyone is still reading this they can read all about the story here http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4433&hl=quaife

850twr
Sunday 18th January 2009, 12:46
TRACS is intended as a safety device not a performance one. As soon as TRACS detects spin from any of the wheels it cuts 100% of the power for a brief second, it then reapplies the power & if it still detects spin cuts the power again. Racelogic will feed in as much power as it can before limiting power, if you've got enough traction for 50% throttle as an example it will give it

i always thought the 850 tracs worked by applying the front brakes, and this earnt it bad press for eating front pads?

p fandango
Sunday 18th January 2009, 13:07
A lot of us are aware of your friends supposed issues with diff in here car
Hi Tim, theirs nothing "supposed" about it, i've been in the car & it isn't right & the item was/is faulty

my understanding is that she ended up taking it to a Volvo dealer of HER choice and the car received a clean bill of health, is this not correct?
i'm afraid your understanding is wrong, yes the car was taken to a main dealer but no it wasn't given a clean bill of health, having seen the report myself it says nothing of the sort. The retailer involved has been very sparing with the facts (on several forums)

Is your friend also aware of the totally different on road manners of a FWD car with a Quaife ATB fitted, this may be the bit of the drive now that she is unhappy with.
when the diff was first fitted it worked fine & she loved how it drove, & yes it did have totally different road manners to a normal diff. Once the problems started & the diff sent back to the manufacture for the first time he admitted it was faulty

As a good will gesture the next time she is at your house for a full day I will collect her car and exchange the gearbox and diff for a standard T5R one and return the car, all of this for free and I have never even met you, her or the car!
thank you for the kind offer, however having spent out so much money the car should have the upgraded (working) item which was paid for. Once the first repair attempt failed the manufacture had the car whole, unfortunatly when she collected the car it was returned with a list of other issues (which are in the dealer report) which also need sorting out

If anyone is still reading this they can read all about the story here http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4433&hl=quaife
the link appears to be Don complaining about getting a bad reputation, not facts about what have happened (which only a few people know & are not public knowledge)