PDA

View Full Version : Wiper issue

thebadger
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 21:57
Hi there, having a complete sod of an issue.

My rear wiper is not finishing its "cycle" when on intermittent & stops wherever it fancies on both settings so I have a chav look rear upright wiper!

That's not happening... so...

The net result is my back window's getting all dirty.

I see this as either...

a switch issue

a relay issue

or it's wiring!

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

gazbak1
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 22:25
a common problem is the wiring in the tailgate on the left hand hinge.

worth a look!

gazbak1

thebadger
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 22:33
It's deffo getting power... just being a touch tempremantal.

gazbak1
Wednesday 14th January 2009, 00:08
could be the motor sticking have you tried lubricating the motor?

gazbak1

thebadger
Wednesday 14th January 2009, 00:16
not yet, as I'm knackered! (bit like the wiper).

I'll have a play with it tomorrow night, weather permitting!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 14th January 2009, 00:32
I had a problem with my renault like this. There is a switch in the mechanism that activates when the wiper is in its 'parked' position, telling the motor/relay circuit to stop. On my renault the wire had worn on the bulkhead and broken. I just repaired the wire and it worked fine.

It could be the switch is broken, the wires are damaged, or something completely different.

thebadger
Friday 13th February 2009, 17:22
*** Update! ***

Ok, spoke to my garage about this issue last week & my mechanic has been away looking for answers from Volvo dealers & technicians.

The result.....

Not clear, volvo say the motor would not operate if there was an issue.

There is no relay for the rear wiper, so that can't be the issue.

Last call was to a former volvo special engineer, he reccomended a call to a softwear expert...

His opinion is that the process softwear is corrupt & will need reloading, my mechanic agrees with this, tho the car will need to go to him to have this done! :(

I'm sick of the boy racer "center parting" look that the rear wiper keeps taking up!

Need to get this fixed!

cornclose
Friday 13th February 2009, 17:34
Software for a rear wiper ? What next...

I'm not saying it isn't software related, I've no idea how this is setup in the Volvo. I'm just suprised that it's controlled by software!

Rufe
Friday 13th February 2009, 18:22
there is a relay for the tailgate wiper motor.

It is relay 2/16 (This is in the REM in the cargo compartment, 3rd one down from top left corner i believe). im in the house now so cant check but i would guess its going to be pn 9441161 (or something like that) and will be around £11 approx. if your interested further send me a pm for monday.

probably worth trying this first i would say.

Simon

Dangerous Dave
Friday 13th February 2009, 18:32
The only other thing I can think of is the wiring goes up to the tailgate hinges, and I think I read somewhere that people had experienced broken wires around that area due to the movement when opening the boot.

thebadger
Friday 13th February 2009, 20:54
Tried the relay and.....

Same, parks where it wants!

Took the relay out all together & the wiper did not respond, so you are right Simon, but I have no clue what's left next to the motor or the software.

Have you ever dealt with a dud wiper issue like this Simon?

Also, can I have a price on a motor if it is the issue? :)

Thanks anyways!

BTW bomb, you did mention the cable before & no, all the connections are working, lest the wiper couldn't move!

v70torslanda
Friday 13th February 2009, 21:07
Is the wiper arm firmly fixed to the spindle? I'm thinking the rear wiper might have been frozen to the screen when, for example, you selected reverse and it has stripped the fitting.

Undo the nut, remove the wiper arm and check the spline on the spindle to see if it's full of swarf. While the arm is off, check the cycle of the motor - dab some tippex on the spindle - and see if it stops in the same place consistently with the blade off. If it does then clean the swarf from the spindle and refit the wiper arm - check which side it parks on as they vary with year.

HTH, luv'n'stuff

J