PDA

View Full Version : Cars back and blazing

Justin
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 21:17
Hi all, as some of you saw the V70R was not quite on true form last saturday, so a trip to VT was in order.

Firstly, throw away your BSR boost gauges, you may as well use a sun dial to measure boost :rant:

She has had, obviously a remap to 310BHP.
New plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, HT leads, top mount, cambelt, full service on oil and antifreeze, ITG filter, DS2500 pads (by god they work) new serpentine belt, and a full inspection by the man himself, not to mention the little things like actuator adjustment etc. She now runs like silk, and flys at a touch of the pedal.

Point im making is this, the car has been looked after like you have never seen, low miles, and fvsh, yet after buying it at a very good price i have still had to throw another £***.** at it. So to all would be ex plod buyers, DONT.

Full wax and photo shoot to come on Sunday, (wobbly dont know yet like, its a suprise lol)

Cheers ;)

fraz13
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 21:22
Howdy mate

Glad to hear yer new babys all sorted out, a look forward to a wee look one day ;-) Very nice indeed it is :D

steveT5
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 21:23
Whats up with the BSR gauges J ?
I'm all worried now !

Justin
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 21:25
££££E

Mine reads at least 0.1 bar less than what it is doing, it rattles off throttle and doesnt return to zero when the engine is off.

If anyone wants mine they are welcome to it, just the P&P, or i may send it back to PFVonline for a refund yet, i dunno.

Someone find me a nice gauge that tells the time as it were :)

Justin
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 21:25
And Fraz where ya been mate ?

mulletboy2
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 22:13
Good news Justin :) See why I bought my car from a man in-the-know now? :D *smug mode off*

As for boost guages, can't help with analogue ones I'm afraid, although I'd guess it's the case that the more money you throw at it, the better it's likely to be .. However, I still stand by my affection for digital ones such as the Apexi AVC-R.. ok, they may come with lots of abilities that you don't want to hook up because of letting them override the ECU's abilities to sieze control when it needs to, but they still represent good VFM when you consider the accuracy, and aesthetic appeal :)

Incidentally, I just had a PM from the guy who did the banners. Sorry it's taking so long mate, but hopefully the end result will be worth the wait :B_steerin

fraz13
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 22:24
Av been here mate :wink: works overtaking ma spare time just now :( so havent been on durin the day much, Moppy mailed me earlier to ask the same question from u, so thanks :wink: av replied but basically just said it all here hahahh Dont worry a aint desertin everyone :D am here 4 the long haul so :haha:

GuyD5
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 23:45
am here 4 the long haul so :haha:

Better be there at Loch Lomond Fraz, looking forward to seeing you then mate :)

Regarding the comments on the BSR guage ... I fitted one to my car a couple of weeks ago and I took her in to VT because the guage reckoned that the car was spiking to 1.7 bar every time it hit full boost ... VT's accurate guage showed that there was no spike .... it's just that the guage doesn't work properly. Bag of poo basically :)

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 00:37
So wots the theory with buying ex plod cars ? Is there any science behind your comments Justin, other than probability ? So you bought a minter car but it still wasn't right but it's Ok. But if u buy ex police and it aint right its the wrong way to go ? I dont understand as i'm on my 2nd plod car and had no probs YET in over 2 yrs or 20,000 miles. You going to droip on good, bad or indifferent when or wherever u buy from in my book. :bricks:

Traduk
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 00:42
There is probably a very good reason why the BSR boost gauge is nowhere near as good as VT's and I would guess that the price of VTs precision instrument compared to the BSR's £30 has the answer. Another factor in the build of the much more expensive VT gauge is probably some inbuilt damping to cater for minute fluctuations and give a true reading as opposed to jumping about with every minute change in pressure. Adam has had the VT one on my car and I was very impressed.

I have a BSR boost gauge waiting to be fitted and as the dash has to come out for an air-con evaporator failure it will go in when that job is done. The BSR gauge came with pipe and a "Y" shaped "t" connector. The through part of the "t" is open at both sides at approx the internal pipe diameter. The tee off part has a brass insert with a tiny pin hole drilled through it. IMO that pin hole will act as a restrictor and both slow the reading (preventing over-spike readings) and prevent the rattle fluctuations seen by Justin which I would guess are the re-circulator valve bleeding off boost on throttle back.

If a gauge doesn't zero and under-reads then its probably faulty but I cannot understand why BSR provided a restrictor "t" if it wasn't a needed part and the results are not satisfactory when the pipe is plugged straight into a raw feed (minus "t"). I think that the pipe between the restrictor and the gauge is like a slow fill\release balloon and acts as a damper which enables the gauge to act as expected. Other gauges may have such a device within the gauge but BSR did not make the "T" with a brass insert for no good reason.

Of course it doesn't help that the kit comes without any instructions.

Liam

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 00:46
Have to confess that I kinda got both J and Guy on the BSR buying spree. I am disappointed. The quality is not great and more over the accuracy is pants.

I have decided to take mine and shove it in the bin. I cannot sell it coz I dont wanna inflict the ££££ on someone else.

Loooking for somut with the range I require - with the accuracy to boot.

Sorry J and Guy :hidesbehi:

Traduk
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 01:01
Dave,

Don't want to make you feel even more guilty but reading your threads swayed me in the direction of BSR :smile:

I haven't fitted it yet and it may stay forever in the jiffy bag. Such is life. I would be interested in any other that does the job because with a V70 T5 I haven't got one at all (thanks Volvo).

regards, Liam

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 01:05
I am deeply apologetic. My BSR has been OK to be fair. I was impressed by the simple and nice looks. I may hold onto mine but Justins makes a funny rattling noise and Guy's was out there in neverland?

If you have the receipt - send it back IMHO.

I mean initially I was thrilled coz it gave the impression it was ok. Arse!

Really sorry. :pants:

Traduk
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 01:28
Dave,

No need to feel guilty in any way. We can all only go on our best judgements and with the recommendations the gauge was getting it looked good for what is really not a lot of money. No worries mate.

In the grand scheme of things it is nothing but another gem of yours may have saved me a bundle.... I had the ATF flushed and replaced last week. I had it checked (post Rica) and at 57K it was well past its best. All that extra power needs nice red blood in the auto's veins so that it what it now has. The stuff that came out was anything but red and decidely not healthy for the box.

Regards, Liam

GuyD5
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 07:47
Hi Liam

There is probably a very good reason why the BSR boost gauge is nowhere near as good as VT's and I would guess that the price of VTs precision instrument compared to the BSR's £30 has the answer.

yes indeed :)

but I cannot understand why BSR provided a restrictor "t" if it wasn't a needed part and the results are not satisfactory when the pipe is plugged straight into a raw feed (minus "t"). I think that the pipe between the restrictor and the gauge is like a slow fill\release balloon and acts as a damper which enables the gauge to act as expected. Other gauges may have such a device within the gauge but BSR did not make the "T" with a brass insert for no good reason.

Mine is plumbed in with the y-piece (ME7) and the brass restrictor unfortunately doesn't damp as I think it's supposed to. Take it out and the result on the guage is identical.

Saving up for a better (ie. more expensive) one now :)

Al115
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 08:38
This is interesting. I have a BSR gauge too and I think it's great. Spot on with the larger boost gauges that we plumb in from time to time to check the boost properly.

It was making a horrible rattling noise, spiking, etc when I put it in without the restrictor that Liam describes. Then I put the restrictor T-piece in, and everything solved!

Odd eh.

Could it be the restrictors at fault and not the gauges? I presume that you chaps with the malfunctioning gauges have the restrictor in place for starters?

Alastair

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 09:06
I bought said gauge for Steve for his B'day. Other than rattling he still seems to really like it. Admitedly he doesn't use it for anything other than cosmetic gains and it seems thats all its useful for!

Kinda wish I hadn't wasted my cash tho! :B_blite:

x

swordy21
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 09:55
I am quite pleased with my gauge.

see previous thread - http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1709&page=2&pp=10

It also makes the rattley noise mentioned with the BSR one, I initially put that down to a leak, but checked and nothing. At the mo - it is installed directly on the xmas tree thingy, but the hose supplied was too short, so extended using the T piece as a straight through connector. The leg with the brass restrictor in is simply used to store the spare blanking cap.

I may switch these round to see if the restrictor has any effect on the "tttthhhhhrrrrrpppppptttttt" noise, but as this only happens on full boost, (and I drive like a pauper saving up for his next squirt of opti-gold), not really very often.

TBH don't expect the thing to be as accurate as VT's , but then it is sold as a cosmetic thing, however the numbers it indicates seem to be as expected for a car of this age and mileage.

Cheers

lance
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 11:05
Im happy with my £20 tim boost gauge everyone recomended in the first place very accurate even though it only measure upto 1 bar in numbers, it proved accurate against VT monster gauge.
I still only plug it in now and then! I will one day get round to making it a permanant feature.

Ian C70T5
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 11:13
I have sent back my BSR gauge to VPonline.. mine made mental noises on full boost..

I have been looking into some "pretty" carbon fibre autometer ones.. liked the Blitz one too. I think i'll go autometer, except thats PSI rather tha Bar.. wont hurt

Ross9
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 14:15
Jacqs rattled, didnt sit at 0, and under read by about 0.1 bar, it's gone, now an ornament on a shelf somewhere and a nice Blitz one in it's place that reads up to 1.5 bar, ideal.

Ross

Justin
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 14:25
Ross where did it come from, link me up please

;):worship:

steveT5
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 14:31
My BSR rattles like hell also, it must be a common fault. I e-mailed them, and they seemed suprised and told me to check the installation. They said that they would change it if i sent it back with the receipt, but it seems like a lot of p***ing about for a £30 gauge. Especially if the one that they send you also rattles, which would probably be the case ! Time to change it.

steveT5
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 14:37
This is interesting. I have a BSR gauge too and I think it's great. Spot on with the larger boost gauges that we plumb in from time to time to check the boost properly.

It was making a horrible rattling noise, spiking, etc when I put it in without the restrictor that Liam describes. Then I put the restrictor T-piece in, and everything solved!

Odd eh.

Could it be the restrictors at fault and not the gauges? I presume that you chaps with the malfunctioning gauges have the restrictor in place for starters?

Alastair
Er, no ? I just thought it was a tee piece and threw it away. so thats why it rattles then ? :slap:

GuyD5
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 14:43
mine doesn't rattle .... but with or without the brass restrictor in the y-piece, the guage whips round and hits the stop when it gets full boost ... works ok the rest of the time, just shows a massive spike when the car goes ballistic :)

It'll stay where it is until I can afford a new one .... be a while yet :)

Ross9
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 14:56
unfortunately I don't know where it came from Justin, it was "borrowed" from my mates tuning garage as he had it lying and plugged it onto the hose the BSR one sat on. I shall ask if he knows where he got it, in all likelyhodd it came out of someones car when an electronic boost controller was put in etc, which has a digital read out anyway.

He does sell them though, not the blitz ones, but good ones that are just over £100 iirc, they are electronic, come with their own MAP sensor, have programmable warning light for overboost, and a peak boost recall, all on just your average size cylindrical needle guage. Not sure if they are sold from The Garage, or from One Performance, which is a different one man company that uses the same premesis, if its one performance they can probably sort you out one mail order. I can find out next time I am in if you'd like, which is unfortuantely for my wallet, quite regularly lol.

Ross

Ross9
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 15:06
though a quick search found this

http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/universalparts.htm , theres a blitz one on there that reads to 2.0 bar, not the same as the one we have, not that pricey either though :)

Ross