PDA

View Full Version : 940 turbo estate - what to look out for

Babybadger
Friday 9th January 2009, 11:01
Hi guys,

My mate is thinking of joing out frat club, and buying a 940 GLE turbo manual estate. It has 150k mileage , what should he be looking out for? I only know the 850's. Its up for £500

Wobbly Dave
Friday 9th January 2009, 11:04
Buying an 850?

Babybadger
Friday 9th January 2009, 11:05
Are they that bad....? He's not a nutter, and needs to carry some tools about...

DuncVolvoTurbo
Friday 9th January 2009, 11:42
As a good solid workhorse you can't buy better than a 940. As long as it has been serviced regularly serviced, then there is no reason why it wouldn't last a further 150k. There really isn't that much to look out for, the 2.3 engines in these beasts are bullet proof.

There are the ususal items, of the fuel guages being temperamental, and the door cards rippling, but that is common to all newer 940s.

I personally love the 940s, so would definately recommend one!

gtiteen
Friday 9th January 2009, 12:12
we got a 97 940 2.3 lpt. I think we had an issue with the steering rack a while back, but i have a feeling it was something to do with the volvo main stealers cocking up.

Only issue on ours at the moment, which has just ticked over 150k, is that the gearbox sometimes doesn't take reverse when you put it in (auto).

HTH Dave

flyingbrick
Friday 9th January 2009, 19:41
Steering racks and brake master cylinders were the only faults on them from memory. Cant go wrong with them just check if these parts have been replaced.

rogerhechorister
Sunday 11th January 2009, 16:24
I did a big big post on all the things I knew of once - but now I can't remember which forum it was on. It could have been voc, rwdvolvos, southwalesvolos, here, T5D5 or turobricks - but I use the same user name on each so that makes it a bit easier to find...
If you want to go looking.

Now what comes immediately to mind?

Sunshine roof
Aircon
Heater matrix
Heater valve
Seat heaters
Air control flaps
Shocks
Warped discs (might be my driving)
Overdrive on M46 boxes
Light bulbs inside the dashboard
Temperature gauge
Fuel gauge
Fuel pumpS
Water pump
Drip from corner of radiator = excess coolant pressure might be head gasket
Pressure build up in header tank = probably head gasket
"Puffing" when oil filler opened - might just be breather - or might be rings/bores/headgasket
Usual somke colours in exhaust
Rack ends/Track rod ends
antirollbar and front suspenders rubberbits
Check exhaust with care
Little tin heat shield near steering box
If turbo - probably blowing somewhere on manifold/downpipe - manifold is a pig of a job and you usually lose the rubber seal of the turbo oil return.
Check ALLL hoses with care. ANy coolant hose can lose you water and hence engine
Beware of the water seal behind the water pump
Check carefully for oil drips - if at back of engine you may need to take the engine or gearbox out to cure!
If it's reluctant to go into first or reverse (manual) - probably needs new clutch
The old ones (with splitter) the foglights are no longer available
THe automatic aerials are no longer available
nasty rattle when cold that reduces when hot is probably piston slap on no 2/3 - may well run fine for another 40,000 miles, many do it.
Clacking noise from valves on twin cams - needs new hydraulic lifters, not cheap - but you might get lucky and find a thorough flush and new oil fixes it.
Check ALL electric windows, and the headlamp wipers.
Tailgate wiper may be stuck bearing or broken wiring

That's all that springs immediately to mind...

But I might have forgotten something.