PDA

View Full Version : front and rear dampers

adey
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 20:31
hi all im thinking of lowering my car even more , what id like to do is put more of a thread on my dampers so i can lower or rise my car when and if i want , im after any one in the south midlands area who could put me in touch with anybody who could help with this thanks

Big Pete
Thursday 8th January 2009, 19:32
An easy way which I did and had running for about 2 years on my old 740 and worked brilliantly is cut the springs. The car sat about 100mm lower than stock on cut Jamex springs and it stiffened up the more that was cut. I ran the very good Bilstine Sprintline dampers.

When the car was jacked up the springs still sat firmly in their cups. However, if you are using adjustable height dampers, yeah you would be best to get more thread.

shaun850
Thursday 8th January 2009, 19:39
Still want the ABS ecu mate?

adey
Friday 9th January 2009, 10:07
iv already got harder and lower suspension on it but just want to be able to pull it down sum more

Al115
Friday 9th January 2009, 10:58
Cutting the springs? Careful with that one. They're rated for their full length, you cut them and they can take less load!!!

Coilover suspension is the only way I know of doing this safely.

adey
Friday 9th January 2009, 11:10
Cutting the springs? Careful with that one. They're rated for their full length, you cut them and they can take less load!!!

hi yea i dont won't to cut the springs , i would like to put more of a tread on the dampers them self , so if i wont to drop it i just do them up more or i can rise them back to where they started

Big Pete
Saturday 10th January 2009, 10:30

Yeah completely agree, it was back in my younger boy-racer max power days. But never had 1 problem and like I said it stiffened the suspension up HUGELY.

I used to take the 740 to Sweden for Volvo car shows and used to learn the tricks of the trade off the Swedish Volvo modifiers, and there is a LOT of them!

I remember 1 guy who the year before I spoke too quite a bit said he would come back with a sweet 744 the next year. Anyhoo, the next year I met up with him and his friends who all had NICE modified Volvo's, one was a Volvo 945 with a Corvette V8 engine in it, well he had his Volvo 744 with Volvo V90 front end, B230FT engine with 16valve head, he was running 17x7" rims with the lowest possible rubber and it was approximately 150mm lower than stock ride height, the car was LOW!!! He used Koni shock with cut rods to allow for extreme lowness (was done at Koni in Stockholm, where his friend worked, who also built me some for mine!), his car was so low he only had 1 complete coil on the fronts to keep the car up!!!!!!! It was locked in place by special brackets so it would pass the Swedish MOT and so wasn't dangerous if you jumped a bridge etc. He showed me and to jack it up he got out pieces of wood from the boot and made steps infront of the front wheels, then he drove up these and then it was high enough to get the jack under it! Then eventually after the wheels dropped about 2" you could just see the single spring coil, it was CRAZY!!! This was his daily driver, but he only had about 1" below the bottom of the engine and the floor, it looked sweet as a touring car but for daily use, crazy, but it looked awesome next to a stock 744.

You may ask why, but his 744 was known as the lowest in Sweden on standard suspension setup, not coilovers, air suspension or hydraulics etc. So he loved that...............

LesRED850R
Saturday 10th January 2009, 10:40
Yeah completely agree, it was back in my younger boy-racer max power days. But never had 1 problem and like I said it stiffened the suspension up HUGELY.

I used to take the 740 to Sweden for Volvo car shows and used to learn the tricks of the trade off the Swedish Volvo modifiers, and there is a LOT of them!

I remember 1 guy who the year before I spoke too quite a bit said he would come back with a sweet 744 the next year. Anyhoo, the next year I met up with him and his friends who all had NICE modified Volvo's, one was a Volvo 945 with a Corvette V8 engine in it, well he had his Volvo 744 with Volvo V90 front end, B230FT engine with 16valve head, he was running 17x7" rims with the lowest possible rubber and it was approximately 150mm lower than stock ride height, the car was LOW!!! He used Koni shock with cut rods to allow for extreme lowness (was done at Koni in Stockholm, where his friend worked, who also built me some for mine!), his car was so low he only had 1 complete coil on the fronts to keep the car up!!!!!!! It was locked in place by special brackets so it would pass the Swedish MOT and so wasn't dangerous if you jumped a bridge etc. He showed me and to jack it up he got out pieces of wood from the boot and made steps infront of the front wheels, then he drove up these and then it was high enough to get the jack under it! Then eventually after the wheels dropped about 2" you could just see the single spring coil, it was CRAZY!!! This was his daily driver, but he only had about 1" below the bottom of the engine and the floor, it looked sweet as a touring car but for daily use, crazy, but it looked awesome next to a stock 744.

You may ask why, but his 744 was known as the lowest in Sweden on standard suspension setup, not coilovers, air suspension or hydraulics etc. So he loved that...............
GDay! Thanks Pete ! you tell a great story , if you can link us to the cars/pics you speak of even better !! How about a picture show of your "low-riders " !! On ya Bloke !

Big Pete
Saturday 10th January 2009, 13:26
GDay! Thanks Pete ! you tell a great story , if you can link us to the cars/pics you speak of even better !! How about a picture show of your "low-riders " !! On ya Bloke !

Wrote that wrong they were 16x7". I used to have plenty of photo's from 2001 to about 2004 onwards when I used to go there to visit Vallakra Traffen, then windows on my PC died and corrupted a LOT of my photo's, some I managed to retrieve but most were sadly lost. Now I use an Apple Mac so its all good.

Here is a few photo's I still have of us in 2001. The green 945 is the one which had a corvette V8, V70R front bumper etc, the blue one is the 744 with the V90 front end, very low, much lower than it looks in the photo I have to say, considering it was on 16".

I put some of mine in there before it got wrecked at Vallakra when it was SUPER low on Air Suspension. That's me in the blue top and light shorts. I also have photo of my 745 in my personal folder on this forum. My 745 was on 19" rims, and the car would go NO lower on the front as the tops of the front tyres rested on the top of the inner wheel wells! I also had about 1" of space below the engine when the car was decked out.

Search for Vallakra Traffen on Google and I'm sure your find plenty of modded volvo's and probably plenty of mine aswell from back then.

adey
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 14:39
hi just found somewhere where i can get the new thread done , so will keep you posted on how its going