PDA

View Full Version : Texaco havoline synthetic oil (???)

cragmaz
Monday 5th January 2009, 22:49
Texaco Havoline Synthetic oil (?!?!) - Today, 22:25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Called into a morrisons petrol station tonight for some de-icer, and noticed a big display of "Havoline" oils, Had to do a double take at the prices.

5w/30 Fully Synthetic @ £15.99 for 5 litres!!!!, Very, very tempted to get some, but thought i would seek a second opinion, so......, is it any good????

Thanks in advance

Craig

Babybadger
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 11:04
Texaco Havoline Synthetic oil (?!?!) - Today, 22:25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Called into a morrisons petrol station tonight for some de-icer, and noticed a big display of "Havoline" oils, Had to do a double take at the prices.

5w/30 Fully Synthetic @ £15.99 for 5 litres!!!!, Very, very tempted to get some, but thought i would seek a second opinion, so......, is it any good????

Thanks in advance

Craig

Halvoline is superb, volvotuning used to use it.... but get 5w40 fully synth for our cars.....

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 12:07
Whats the best oil to use in an 2.5 10v (ie non-turbo with 150k)

I'm using GTX 'high mileage' oil just now.

Any advice welcomed.

Sorry for slight hijack...

hamish
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 12:11
Halvoline is superb, volvotuning used to use it.... but get 5w40 fully synth for our cars.....

No we didn't!!!
We used Valvoline for a while .
Shell now.

With regards Texaco Havoline 5w30 Semi, I would say that will be a good oil especially at this time of year for a T5.

Regards,
Hamish.

Babybadger
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 13:25
No we didn't!!!
We used Valvoline for a while .
Shell now.

With regards Texaco Havoline 5w30 Semi, I would say that will be a good oil especially at this time of year for a T5.

Regards,
Hamish.

Sorry Hamish , I did say you 'used to use it'. I have used it since I had my car serviced by you in 2004 and can vouch that its good quality. Sorry for any misunderstanding..... ;-)

As to 5w30 or 5w40 , this will start tongues-a-wagging, the doors to hell will open.....I trust Hamish's judgement here....

hamish
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 22:25
Sorry Hamish , I did say you 'used to use it'. I have used it since I had my car serviced by you in 2004 and can vouch that its good quality. Sorry for any misunderstanding..... ;-)

As to 5w30 or 5w40 , this will start tongues-a-wagging, the doors to hell will open.....I trust Hamish's judgement here....

Hi BabyB,
Nothing to apolagise about:)
I would add that I would prefer a 5W40 especially when the weather warms up in May! That 5W30 is going to be ideal with the current ambient temperatures and every day driving. I wouldn't think a 5W30 is going to be right for hard driving in August.

It is a good price for a retail forecourt! Give it a wirl you could do alot worse.

Regards,
Hamish.

Terminator
Thursday 8th January 2009, 13:10
Unless you are using it for track days or do not change your oil regularly,(every 5000 or 10000 miles) I do not believe that the additional cost of fully synthetic over semi synthetic is worth it unless you can find a stonking deal like Fletch has.

I use Fuchs Titan 10W40 semi synthetic which is a great all year round oil and can be obtained quite cheaply from GSF, Opie Oils, or in bulk on Ebay.

850twr
Thursday 8th January 2009, 13:20
I believe that Volvo recommend/use 10W40 Semi Syth but may be mistaken.

yes, 10w40 semi - castrol magnatec

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th January 2009, 13:26
I use what ever Hamish puts in. I try to change mine (maybe excessively) every 5K miles or so.

850twr
Thursday 8th January 2009, 14:17
I use what ever Hamish puts in. I try to change mine (maybe excessively) every 5K miles or so.

if you want your t5 to last, thats the best way to go about it.

Babybadger
Thursday 8th January 2009, 15:49
Hamish said to me that when you enjoy yourself and the motor is on full boost there is a little red hot turbo spinning around on the end of the engine.....they need an oil that can handle the heat and lubricate the engine properly at the same time....... 5w40 Fully Synth for me works well, and my turbo is still going even though it has had a little wear since 2004.....

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th January 2009, 16:09
My 19T has been on all my T5s since the 850R - mileage must be approaching 90K in total and is still running well.

cragmaz
Thursday 8th January 2009, 22:26
Finally bit the bullet and went to go get the havoline, only to find they had sold out!, typical!!!!

decided to buy some shell Helix Ultra 5w/40, fully synthetic, (endorsed by ferrari, wooooooo!!!!), bit expensive for 6L like, but top quality, (i think)

Anyone used this stuff???

Cheers

Craig

Alan M
Friday 9th January 2009, 08:01
Finally bit the bullet and went to go get the havoline, only to find they had sold out!, typical!!!!

decided to buy some shell Helix Ultra 5w/40, fully synthetic, (endorsed by ferrari, wooooooo!!!!), bit expensive for 6L like, but top quality, (i think)

Cheers

Craig

Thats a good oil. I was going to use it but bought another brand at the last minute. It is expensive but if you like your car why not use it.

hamish
Friday 9th January 2009, 10:33

Cheers

Craig

Craig,

Excellent Oil. It is without doubt the best oil available. Which is why we use it in our workshop as our Premium Oil. Not cheap but then the best never is. It is not only endorsed by Ferrari but also Wing Commander Wobbly Dave!!!!!

Regards,
Hamish.

John Dexter
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 07:31
Opie Oils do sell Shell Ultra f/s oils and give a discount to a wide range of clubs but when visiting their clubs page although the VOC is there the VPC is not. Any reason why?
The T J Morris chain Home Bargains had some on the shelf, 4 litres @£9.99 but they appear to be like Costco, have a bargain purchase which is unlikely to be repeated.
Opie oils price for 5 litres was £37.99 for the general public or £34.19 for "members". All prices include VAT but shipping will need to be added and it should be borne in mind that they are based in Cornwall.

basky
Thursday 2nd December 2010, 22:43
i use morris motorsport 10 50 fully synth
i have done in all car,s and will in the volvo track slag.

my other track ran it with no prob,s and my evo use,s every day
changed every 4k and if been on track even earlier.
but again not cheap but like hamish said you pay for what you get

and i get it cheaper than most.....