PDA

View Full Version : Phase II V70 heater panel illumination

princepugh
Monday 5th January 2009, 15:38
Anybody able advise whether or not the bulbs behind the heater control panel are easy to replace on the Phase II V70? I've lost illumination on the drivers side temperate control, which is annoying.

From memory on the Phase I these are tiny bulbs held in a tiny plastic retainer which break as soon as you look at them!

Advice welcome.

Ta

PP

thebadger
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 00:03
they are small bulbs...

They are easy to get out tho, it goes...

Pen holder, screws, panel. (assuming that there are no screws in from the stereo area like I have)

The one you mention is flickering on mine right now..... need to have a look when it's warmer!

Baj
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 01:40
As per recent audio discussions:

Do not unplug the HVAC unit and do not have keys in ignition at all.

princepugh
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 10:52
Cheers guys, aiming to take a look this weekend - assume what you're saying is, remove the pen holder, remove the heating control panel from the surround but don't unhook any of the connectors?

Is this SRS related?

straight5
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 11:01
Definately dont disconnect. I have just recently done that (Im an idiot) and have blown the whole panel. Now mine is dead. Got a 2nd hand unit from a breakers but the STC button, alarm zone button and the rear window heater button all dont respond, plus the panel/fans etc stay on for 30 seconds after switching off car. Quoted £475 for a genuine volvo part, which I can't afford and Volvo main stealer says I can't make the 2nd hand work properly in my car. Although I dont totally believe that.

princepugh
Saturday 17th January 2009, 13:06
Got the blighter out without wrecking anything, they're a bit better design than the ones I remember on the Phase I. Suppose these are genuine Volvo items only?

thebadger
Sunday 18th January 2009, 20:48
I replaced mine with a 12v led setup.... easy!

You can get one hundred from hong kong for about £6.

bit of diy with a solder iron, & playing till you get the polarity right!

easy tho!

straight5
Monday 19th January 2009, 10:02
I replaced mine with a 12v led setup.... easy!

You can get one hundred from hong kong for about £6.

bit of diy with a solder iron, & playing till you get the polarity right!

easy tho!

What are the chances that someone who knows a bit about electronics could repair my "blown" HVAC unit. I cleverly disconnected it and reconnected with battery still connected and it is now completely dead. The 2nd hand replacement one I have fitted works on the heater and air con controls, but the rear windows/mirror heater and STC and Alarm Zone buttons are all dead. If my blown one cant be repaired what is the chance that the 2nd hand one can be made to work? I cant afford the £475 I was quoted for a new "blank" one.

princepugh
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 09:20
Didn't bother with the soldering job - for information Rufe can supply these bulbs. They're electronic climate control part code 307 39 358.

thebadger
Saturday 24th January 2009, 10:05
Didn't bother with the soldering job - for information Rufe can supply these bulbs. They're electronic climate control part code 307 39 358.

But once again, it's a bulb.... It will blow, sooner than an LED.

£6 for 100 with resistors, use the small screw plates from the previous bulb.

EASY!