PDA

View Full Version : P2 V70 Radio Removal

Pete_T5
Sunday 4th January 2009, 19:47
I want to hook up my ipod to the stereo so need to know how to remove the head unit. Any ideas ?

t5 stealth
Sunday 4th January 2009, 22:01
what unit is fitted

Loadsamiles
Monday 5th January 2009, 03:26
I want to hook up my ipod to the stereo so need to know how to remove the head unit. Any ideas ?

Un screw it and pull it out.

Don't forget to un-plug it.

Pete_T5
Monday 5th January 2009, 18:57
Head unit is HU-803. I guess you have to remove the centre stack bezel first to find the screws. How do you do that ?

mikouk
Monday 5th January 2009, 19:23
Head unit is HU-803. I guess you have to remove the centre stack bezel first to find the screws. How do you do that ?

I am planning to do the same thing and I have the same HU. I think you have to remove the pen holder at the bottom of the stack with a screwdriver then work your way up. If I get a chance I will photograph the haynes manual page.

I will be interested how you do it eventually though as I want to do the same thing.

Have you searched the forum as there are a couple of people who have done it.

Good Luck
Mark

Baj
Monday 5th January 2009, 20:13
-Pull off penholder.
-Undo 2 screws (torx) - DO NOT drop them down the hand hole or you will be scratching hands and dismantling gear trim.
-Pull bottom of AC unit towards rear screen until about 15 degrees off normal then slide fingers up the edge as far as your pain threshold will allow.
-Place thumbs above fingers against front of consol side trim (ie not on the AC unit) and use as leverage while wiggling/pulling AC unit at perpendicular angle (ie tward you and upwards slightly).
It is held in at the top with clips. You will probably find one side pops before the other. They are tight buggers.
-Once done undo the 2 screws now exposed.
-Tilt HU as per AC. Once bracket at the bottom is clear the HU needs to drop down 10mm or so then it should come clear.
Top of HU bracket:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/bajw92/bits/mon2.jpg

You dont need to remove the battery as long as you:
DO NOT UNPLUG THE AC UNIT.
DO NOT HAVE KEYS IN THE IGNITION AT ALL.
Treat AC unit with love, it has delicate bits.

If it looks like this you have gone too far :)
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/bajw92/bits/interior.jpg

mikouk
Monday 5th January 2009, 23:25
Hi Baj

Just out of interest, what type of HU is that in the piccy? Some sort of tv? I thought they only came out of the centre speaker?

Cheers

Mark

Baj
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 02:42
Thats my homebuilt 8" touchscreen for the PC with electrics in a 403 cage.

mikouk
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 09:10
Thats my homebuilt 8" touchscreen for the PC with electrics in a 403 cage.

Wow, not an optional extra then? LOL

Baj
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 13:13
No
More here if interested
http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8865

01c70t5
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 16:07
It's a bugger to do - removing the AC fascia took more force than I was happy using. Yet I've to do it all again this weekend to rescue my CDs again.

Pete_T5
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 22:48
Thanks for that Baj. LOL at that stripped interior pic!

screwloose
Thursday 26th February 2009, 23:21
Hey Baj,,,

when you gutted you intereior was it to fit aftermarket speakers too ;)

i am after a oem passenger door speaker, if you ripped one out bud ??

Cheers
Nev

Baj
Friday 27th February 2009, 03:45
Nope. They were good enough :)

thebadger
Friday 27th February 2009, 10:15
Try... http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=213784&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2610&groupid=2610&subgroupid=4599&componentid=0&make=36&model=V70&year=2001&graphicID=9712360&callout=10&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

The Center panel is a double din, made to fit volvo part!

This replaces the HU & makes the interior look exactly as it should!

I think I paid £50 all told for my one, but remember to tell them the colour of the trim, or they will cancel your order!

thebadger
Friday 27th February 2009, 10:19
Alternativley... http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=213784&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2610&groupid=2644&subgroupid=9561&componentid=15710&make=36&model=V70&year=2001&graphicID=9712380&callout=3&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

For just a frame instead... but the first one has a surround for your aftermarket stereo!

Baj
Monday 2nd March 2009, 03:59
I have yet to find a thirdparty stereo surround that is a) the right shape and b) the right colour.
Ended up building my own.

That frame is the cast metal frame as shown on my screen pic. Not much use by itself. It bolts onto the OEM HU

thebadger
Monday 2nd March 2009, 11:25
Yeah, but the first one is a surround, with the proper top lip to hold it into the console & if you keep the screws from the HU, you can secure down the way through it into the HAVAC unit which then makes it soild as a rock!

Previously my stereo fell out if I used the noisy pedal too much!

Might be a few quid more than the aftermarket ones... but worth it in the long run!

The unit I have shown is a double din face plate, which is near impossible to get for a pre 2004 V70/S60.

Minor adjustment saw my pioneer head unit slide in without a problem! I also added some extra holes for the cage to hold it!