PDA

View Full Version : Down pipe

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:01
i woz lookin the other day at a thread about exhaust and seen someone with a downpipe with a mechanicalflap thingy on it.cant find it anywhere, can anyone help looked really good.thanks.think it woz on S series.

Enigma666
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:34
I saw that on swedespeed I think it was.
Not sure it was here mate.
Think it was on an S60R.

Wombatbomb
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:36
i woz lookin the other day at a thread about exhaust and seen someone with a downpipe with a mechanicalflap thingy on it.cant find it anywhere, can anyone help looked really good.thanks.think it woz on S series.

Pedro (P. Fandango) has one on his 850.

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:36
think it might of been might, its an 850. The cut-off valve is universal so can be custom fitted to anything

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vOFiVLFTKiI

Enigma666
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:39
What exactly is that all about? It's attached to the dp so does it serve as an alternative to the IPD RIP kit or similar?

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:43
What exactly is that all about? It's attached to the dp so does it serve as an alternative to the IPD RIP kit or similar?
you open it to bypass the exhaust system

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0c1e2f82b8.jpg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84

Enigma666
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:44
So basically it is like having just an open ended dp on the car then (and should free up some ponies) :)

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:46
So basically it is like having just an open ended dp on the car then (and should free up some ponies) :)
:B_thumb:

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:50
topman fandango thats it ,do you know anymore about it,cheers. where youget these from.

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:53
topman fandango thats it ,do you know anymore about it,cheers
what do you want to know?

its made by QTP & had to have it imported from America, got Custom Chrome to do the welding for me

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 4th January 2009, 19:59
hi fandango how much did it cost,and how good is it,am most impressed,does it make a difference,sounds fit!!! wouldnt mind one.have you got web address.cheers.

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 20:06
hi fandango how much did it cost,and how good is it,am most impressed,does it make a difference,sounds fit!!! wouldnt mind one.have you got web address.cheers.
this is who i brought mine off ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QTP-QTEC30CPS-3-Electric-Exhaust-Valve-SS-Cutout_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el11 77QQhashZitem140275854855QQitemZ140275854855QQptZM otorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories). I've only used it a couple of times tbh, scared the **** out of the Astra drive when i sped past him with it open tho lol

Enigma666
Sunday 4th January 2009, 20:10
What happens about CELS with this as surely it would make the O2 sensor have a minor fit lol

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 20:14
What happens about CELS with this as surely it would make the O2 sensor have a minor fit lol
850's are single sensor & the valve is "just" after it so it doesn't affect it

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9825dde352.jpg

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 4th January 2009, 20:28

OH BUGGER dint think of that does it make a big difference if you bi-past o2 sensors, must do,orrrr, wont run right will it,mines a98 v70r awd,

Enigma666
Sunday 4th January 2009, 20:30
The V70R has 2 sensors (pre and post CAT) I think it would throw a CEL personally every time you used it.

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 4th January 2009, 20:58
hideous,really wanted one aswell,sound really well errrrrrr! cheers any way.oh well wot instead then

PNuT
Monday 5th January 2009, 08:19
The V70R has 2 sensors (pre and post CAT) I think it would throw a CEL personally every time you used it.

the rear sensor is actually only half way thru the cat.....

so what would the 02 sensor be sensing to throw a light if you bypassed it?

Enigma666
Monday 5th January 2009, 10:22
In this instance a massive increase in air flow, which would cause it to throw a CEL most likely. Not 100% sure though :)

LesRED850R
Monday 5th January 2009, 11:28
So cancel the CEL ........... How often would you use it to make that a prob ??

Enigma666
Monday 5th January 2009, 11:50
Good point well made....the other option (and one that would most likely be used anyway) is an O2 baffler thing, that spaces the O2 sensor out so it thinks it is flowing less air than really is (useful for 3" DP) maybe this would work....all depends on the placement of the O2 sensor and what the ECU will do to retard the timing etc when it throws a CEL. Not much point going into 'limp home mode' every time you use it is there :)

PNuT
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 09:56
Good point well made....the other option (and one that would most likely be used anyway) is an O2 baffler thing, that spaces the O2 sensor out so it thinks it is flowing less air than really is (useful for 3" DP) maybe this would work....all depends on the placement of the O2 sensor and what the ECU will do to retard the timing etc when it throws a CEL. Not much point going into 'limp home mode' every time you use it is there :)

so you are saying it will throw a light via the maf? due to increased air flow? the o2 sensors measure oxygen content not gas flow

Enigma666
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 10:26
yeah I know, but as a consequence of having an open pipe they get too little (or if you use a 3" straight through too much).
That is what the spacer rings are used for, to make sure the O2 sensor is fooled into thinking it is getting the right amount of o2

PNuT
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 20:04
in my experience these cars dont need spacers if the cat is removed.....

Enigma666
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 20:08
Always a bonus then :)
I only have the T4 to go by and it is more for prevention than anything.
If the 70's can get away with it then even better :)