PDA

View Full Version : Bloody boot

stainesy
Sunday 4th January 2009, 14:30
since the weather has been getting colder my boot dont seem to want to stay open.

keeps closing on my head LOL

do these have the gas piston thingys that hold the boot open? how can i adjust or replace the bits that hold the boot open?

redbaron
Sunday 4th January 2009, 14:34
i think it should have gas pistons somewhere in it,as far as i remember my fathers 855 had piston lifters

walter leever
Sunday 4th January 2009, 14:59
it looks like your lifters need replacing.:sorry:

not expensive and a fairly straightforward job.

gr,walter

t5 pete
Sunday 4th January 2009, 15:22
Yeah my gas struts need doing new ones are on ebay and pfv for £17.63 you will need to remove the plasitc strips either side of the of the boot to access them.

stainesy
Sunday 4th January 2009, 15:42
Yeah my gas struts need doing new ones are on ebay and pfv for £17.63 you will need to remove the plasitc strips either side of the of the boot to access them.

are they in the boot door or in the roof of the car?

walter leever
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:27
are they in the boot door or in the roof of the car?

in the roof

cameron
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:36
Yeah as stated before in the roof, bit of a fiddly job as well iirc.

Lee

walter leever
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:52
it's easier if you've a 2nd person.

1 To hold the boot lid open

1 to replace the gas struts

cameron
Sunday 4th January 2009, 17:57
Yeah i found that out the hard way unfortunatelly.

Lee

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 4th January 2009, 18:23
I've done a how-to on it, as the VS one was a bit vague, its not that fiddly really.

See here http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15665

zoomungus
Sunday 4th January 2009, 19:07
my boots the same lol

badger1980
Monday 5th January 2009, 18:52
If u have the spare cash u could go for something trick and fit the electric lifters so a touch of a button and it would open it's self and close in the same mannor

woz
Monday 5th January 2009, 19:06
my boots the same lol
... and they are BLOODY heavy.
Takes me two hands to get it up (fnarrrr) and it comes down with a fearsome bang unless v. careful. Its not a difficult job, just fiddly getting the balljoints to "snap" on - use the HOWTO linkled below - it gets round the tricky bits nicely. Get a helper or some big bits of wood to support it while you are doing it - and keep yer bits out of the way.

Had to replace mine twice already and have lived with both struts gone completely for 6 months - courteousy of all the oil weeping out of them. Cant face doing it again just yet.

Good lluck.
W:>)

stainesy
Monday 5th January 2009, 19:21
If u have the spare cash u could go for something trick and fit the electric lifters so a touch of a button and it would open it's self and close in the same mannor

where would i get them from?

badger1980
Thursday 8th January 2009, 05:54
Dont think there are specific kits made to do this but if u measured the strut when its fully extended u should be able to match them up to a linear actuator there's abit about them on the link but i think u would be looking at importing them just though it would be a trick idea been thinking it over myself but no spare funds to put into the project this early after Christmas ill try to help in any way i can if ure giving it ago
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/

LesRED850R
Friday 9th January 2009, 09:49
where would i get them from?
GDay Bloke ! Hows the new Bairn ? With the struts make an effort to get good quality . Mine were repaired and i know from working alongside hydraulic experts in the past that its hard to get good techs as they have to not only use the best prts/seals but the utmost care and cleanliness or they loose pressure/fail and you are up for the whole job again. Mine are a bit saggy in the cold after 3 years but in 30* C summer days [ today was sunny and 28*C albeit with a cool breeze ] they can be like rockets !! Which indicates a poor job done and poor quality fluid i expect too. Good luck !