PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma!!!

VolvoPaws
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 04:11
Morning all. I see there are some viewing, even at this ungodly hour!

My dilemma is this -

I have an 855 T5 which many of you have helped with technical problems over the years, but is needing more investment. The rear axle suspension bushes need replacing, a new battery, blower fan and other bits and pieces, and more worryingly some rust just starting to bubble through on the front wing above the bumper.

But, the engine is superb! 120k not been thrashed and pulls like a train.

So, what do I do??? Risk more money on repair bills, or look at a replacement - probably a D5, and possibly AWD? Looking at the figures I could get a 163 D5 AWD, chip it to 200bhp and have reasonable performance with better handling?

Or would I still miss the T5? I wouldn't miss the understeer, or the fairly constant maintenance, but that roar is not to be missed. And is it better the devil you know? There's no guarantee that a newer car won't need work.

How does the D5 compare, and what are your thoughts on AWD?

v70torslanda
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 11:38
Don't know how it compares on a day to day basis but here's a few D5 factoids.

O-60 in - don't care. Pulls like a train. Only ever beaten by someone who's really trying.
Max Chat - I haven't taken it over 125mph. Not cos it won't, cos I can't go that fast any more.
Did 3000 miles in a fortnight in France. Average 42 mpg.

Don't buy a Nautic Blue Pearl model cos Scooby drivers and ****heads in Peugeots suddenly start behaving themselves when you appear behind them. You especially must not wear Hi-Viz when driving said dark blue Volvo. Don't know why!

If you are used to sorted T5 handling then you will need a trip to PowerFlex for front bushes and, if its done over 60k, Bilstein or whoever for decent shocks.

AWD is great. If it breaks it is a money pit. If its down to you to pick up the tab then don't buy one.

DSTC is a must. Far better than STC.

John

VolvoPaws
Sunday 4th January 2009, 15:22
Cheers for that John. Impressive fuel consumption compared to what I'm used to.
Do you find you still get wheelspin with the DSTC kicking in?
And what makes you say the awd is a money pit. I've done lots of searching and can't find much reference to its reliability (or otherwise).

thebadger
Sunday 4th January 2009, 15:59
The AWD system is dear to repair... I've heard of nightmares!

The P2's are lovley machines to own & drive, I also prefer the interior of the P2 as I feel its a bit boxy in the p1's & deffo in the 850s.

The only bits to watch for are... the droplinks wear out quick, especialy on the D5's.

The tyre wear should be looked at before you buy an AWD, if one set (front or rear) or just one tyre is very worn, this may be a cause for concern. Either a Diff is out or the AWD system is gubbed! Run away!

Also the upkeep is a bit higher, ideally all the wheels should be re-tyred at the same time.

Costly things to run AWD's!

RobbieH
Sunday 4th January 2009, 16:13
Don't know how it compares on a day to day basis but here's a few D5 factoids.

Don't buy a Nautic Blue Pearl model cos Scooby drivers and ****heads in Peugeots suddenly start behaving themselves when you appear behind them. You especially must not wear Hi-Viz when driving said dark blue Volvo. Don't know why!

John

Isn't that the best reason to buy one?

If I'm feeling particularly malicious I love just trolling along at 65-70 in the inside lane and watching everyone in the fast lane come tear arseing up and then hit the brakes.
Never worn hi-viz though. There's another good idea :mischievo
Mines "Mistral Green", maybe low key looks are best?

v70torslanda
Sunday 4th January 2009, 18:56
Isn't that the best reason to buy one?

If I'm feeling particularly malicious I love just trolling along at 65-70 in the inside lane and watching everyone in the fast lane come tear arseing up and then hit the brakes.
Never worn hi-viz though. There's another good idea :mischievo
Mines "Mistral Green", maybe low key looks are best?

ALL Gtr Manchester and Sth Yorks plain wrapper cars are dark blue. Traffic cars are still white but GMP are replacing their traffic cars with BMW. Its summat to do with them building specific 'police spec' cars rather than converting production line models. For the same reason they've gone back to BM for the bikes. The R's are the only bikes with Home Office approval and the P*nEurope*ns have killed too many officers.

VolvoPaws. My car only has STC. You have the choice of no wheelspin/bogging off the line or being able to smoke the tyres in a straight line at 60. I drove a DSTC D5 at MIRA on a Volvo day out. Sadly budget constraints meant I couldn't afford one with DSTC when I bought mine. My b-i-l has a 54plate SE which you can chuck into roundabouts at 50per, it just sorts itself out.

J

v70torslanda
Sunday 4th January 2009, 19:07
And what makes you say the awd is a money pit. I've done lots of searching and can't find much reference to its reliability (or otherwise).

When I worked at the main stealer we had to supply a propshaft for a warranty job. I remember the retail price being nearly a grand. This was because a CV joint at the rear of the prop had failed. It couldn't be replaced. Most AWD-specific components are only available as assemblies. This is what makes them so dear to repair. By comparison to FWD cars they are so few as to not appear on the radar so to speak. I think I've only ever seen a couple of AWD D5s excluding XC models.

BTW Tyre wear. You will at best see 14,000 miles out of a front pair less if you drive it like a loon. A rear pair will last about twice that. By comparison AWD means that you will get 14 k out of the rears as well. It's just dear. You don't need it.

J

thebadger
Sunday 4th January 2009, 22:58
The DSTC is sweet, no sideways from a rapid start unless the road is a river, also if you are used to an FFW drive system, it's much more fun!

I have heard that STC is a bit of a joke for chucking it around corners & stuff.

v70torslanda
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 21:49
You don't 'chuck it around corners' anyroad. You guide it, don't shove it.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving my ex-boss' 530d Sport. More power than a T5 fer cryin out loud! Traction light on almost permanently in frost but a driver's car, no doubt.

Strangely I preferred the D5. Not as quick but at least I feel vaguely in control!.

thebadger
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 23:52
I've yet to feel the car "out of control".. the DSTC always catches you just before the imminent death moment.

Just an opinion, but the FWD is just as good as AWD. AWD is easier to break & dearer to run.

It really is your choice on what you want to get & use it for.

A T5 would be mince for towing lots as I guess the temptation to floor it whilst towing could wreck a car.

A D5 is a good choice if that's your area.