PDA

View Full Version : airbox pipe

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:36
was looking at some stuff on the web and came across this pic.

noticed the pipe coming from the air filter box to the front of the car.
what do you make of this?
has he cut a hole above the filter and fitted a small cold air feed?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/025__scaled_600_003.jpg

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:41
Its not a cold air feed mate, its the pipe from the Air Pump. It pumps exhaust gasses into the intake for emission control purposes (I think).

My 850 had one (until I removed it). Not sure what engines it was fitted to though.

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:41
its a secondary air system AKA SAS

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:43
oh right. never seen that before. thought id ask.

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:46
a better pic

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:50
My cousins V70 T5 has the same airbox (with the hole in the top) but with a bung to block it off.

I removed mine after the pump mountings broke (thin rubber things), and all its associated pipework, it was bloody heavy. All the control relays are still connected, so that the ecu doesn't throw a code.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:55
Volvo call it the 'Pulsed secondary air injection system' or 'PAIR'

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 21:05
Volvo call it the 'Pulsed secondary air injection system' or 'PAIR'

does it make any diferance to the car?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 21:31
Well, its supposed to do something to the exhaust emissions (lower them?), but put basically it pumps some of the burnt crappy exhaust gasses into the airbox which then goes through the MAF, turbo, intercooler, throttle body and back into the cylinders to be burnt again.

I'm not sure on its effect performance wise, can't be much, if anything at all, but its less shiz goin through the intake system.

badger1980
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 00:20
u should find there's one on the bottom of the air box got one on mine just waiting for a pipe to go to where the snow shield used to be making it a forced induction