PDA

View Full Version : Reverse flow intercooler pipe work

My T5
Thursday 1st January 2009, 18:28
Where can you get them from? I understand that the reason for changing the pipework is the air flow to the engine is shorter creating boost quicker and cooler air.Is this correct?

t5 pete
Thursday 1st January 2009, 20:34
Ipd usa do one the other thing is to make your own

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 18:15
If you PM Rufe, I think he said once he could get the original one that was fitted to the early 850's from Volvo.

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 19:16
how does the pipework go on the revers flow jobbie?

i no the pipe from the turbo goes strait across the engine to the intercooler but what about the other pipes?

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 19:25
how does the pipework go on the revers flow jobbie?

i no the pipe from the turbo goes strait across the engine to the intercooler but what about the other pipes?

The top pipe from the turbo to the top of the intercooler and then the from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle housing

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 19:36
The top pipe from the turbo to the top of the intercooler and then the from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle housing

where does the pipe from the bottom of the intercooler normaly go?

anybody got any diagrams of both systems?

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 19:37
where does the pipe from the bottom of the intercooler normaly go?

to the turbo

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 19:51
to the turbo

right let me get this right

normaly the top boost pipe comes from the top of the turbo acrooss the engine and down the side of the engine to the bottom of the intercooler.

so where does the pipe from the top of the intercooler normaly go to the throttle housing?

so what pipes need to be changed when reversing?
do you need a diferant throttle housing samco bit?

My T5
Friday 2nd January 2009, 19:54
throttle body housing i think.

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:09
This is getting confusing to fit the reverse flow you will need to get rid of your old i/c setup all you have to do is run a pipe from the turbo to the top of the intercooler then a pipe from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle housing inbetween the pipe from the bottom of the intercooler and the throttle body there is a pipe that goes to the idel controll valve

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:09
where can i get the revers flow piping from? i want the realy nice polished metal one iv seen a few people have on here.

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:10
where can i get the revers flow piping from? i want the realy nice polished metal one iv seen a few people have on here.

Ipd or make your own

My T5
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:12
Probably a custom jobby mate!

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:12
Ipd or make your own

nice1 what the web address for them? is it wwwipd.com?
nope just tried that and got real estate LOL

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:15
its www.ipdusa.com

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:17
Early intercooler piping

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/reverse.jpg

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:18
its www.ipdusa.com

bloody hell $395 for a few pipes?

what do i need to make my own?

Tomcat
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:21
Here's the direct link....Reverse IC piping (http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=1849&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1)

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:22
Here's the direct link....Reverse IC piping (http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=1849&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1)

cheers but i found it.

$395. whats that in £? im crap with stuf like that?

what bits would i need to make my own?

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:23
bloody hell $395 for a few pipes?

what do i need to make my own?

That why i said make your own you will probley make one for around £100 all you need is a good lenght of pipe and then all of the silicone elbows
i think you will need 3 x 90 bends, a T peice for your bov, a rew straight joints and another Tpeice for the pipe to the idel controll valve

Tomcat
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:26
cheers but i found it.

$395. whats that in £? im crap with stuf like that?

what bits would i need to make my own?

With the pound being crap at the moment that won't be far off the price in pounds!!, then you've got shipping and of course import tax. You'll probably be looking at about £500.

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:28
That why i said make your own you will probley make one for around £100 all you need is a good lenght of pipe and then all of the silicone elbows
i think you will need 3 x 90 bends, a T peice for your bov, a rew straight joints and another Tpeice for the pipe to the idel controll valve

ok nice1 mate im gona give it ago.

anybody made there own and no exactly what i need?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:33
Or a more detailed.....

Reverse piping
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/reverse2.jpg

Normal piping
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/nonreverse.jpg

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:41
Or a more detailed.....

Reverse piping
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/reverse2.jpg

Normal piping
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/nonreverse.jpg

nice1 mate that helps loads.

Volvostorm
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:55
Yeah, thanks thats a great help :)

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd January 2009, 21:01
Well strictly speaking the reverse piping was the original, but volvo changed it supposedly because in colder/icy weather (in sweden and other cold countries) the cooler air coming from the bottom of the intercooler caused the throttle body/flap to freeze up/ice up. So they swapped the pipes around so that the slightly warmer air from the top of the intercooler went to the TB thus solving the problem.

But since it doesn't get anywhere near as cold in this country (or not often anyway) the reverse IC setup is fine.

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 21:03
Well strictly speaking the reverse piping was the original, but volvo changed it supposedly because in colder/icy weather (in sweden and other cold countries) the cooler air coming from the bottom of the intercooler caused the throttle body/flap to freeze up/ice up. So they swapped the pipes around so that the slightly warmer air from the top of the intercooler went to the TB thus solving the problem.

But since it doesn't get anywhere near as cold in this country (or not often anyway) the reverse IC setup is fine.

yeah and it looks alot cooler to LOL

walter leever
Friday 2nd January 2009, 22:32
You can get them from www.europeantuning.com

they cost 379 euros,that's where i got mine(ipd version)

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k390/Walterleever/DSC00094.jpg

p fandango
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 09:34
http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08472/t53459.jpg
to make your own, you need.

? = whatever size pipe you want to use

top turbo to IC top pipe
1 x straight reducer (turbo top - ?)
1 x 90degree (? - ?)
1 x 45degree (? - ?)
1 x 45degree reducer (? - IC top)

bottom IC to throttle body pipe
1 x 90degree reducer (bottom IC - ?)
1 x 45degree (? - ?)
1 x 90degree reducer (? - throttle body)
will need a 19mm T-piece to connect the idle control valve

turbo inlet pipe
1 x 90degree reducer (turbo inlet - ?)
1 x 45degree (? - ?)
will need a 9mm T-piece to connect the PCV (inless running a catch tank) & you'll also need a 40mm collar welding in to fit the MAF sensor

you'll also need about 3metres of pipe & 18 jubilee clips

stainesy
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 09:47
http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08472/t53459.jpg
to make your own, you need.

? = whatever size pipe you want to use

top turbo to IC top pipe
1 x straight reducer (turbo top - ?)
1 x 90degree (? - ?)
1 x 45degree (? - ?)
1 x 45degree reducer (? - IC top)

bottom IC to throttle body pipe
1 x 90degree reducer (bottom IC - ?)
1 x 45degree (? - ?)
1 x 90degree reducer (? - throttle body)
will need a 19mm T-piece to connect the idle control valve

turbo inlet pipe
1 x 90degree reducer (turbo inlet - ?)
1 x 45degree (? - ?)
will need a 9mm T-piece to connect the PCV (inless running a catch tank) & you'll also need a 40mm collar welding in to fit the MAF sensor

you'll also need about 3metres of pipe & 18 jubilee clips

nice1 mate. i will be using a catch tank. at the mo mine is venting to atmos as it has broken under the manifold so its leaking crap onto the bottom intercooler pipe. but its still fine to drive and i have blocked the hole in the air pipe to the turbo so i will sort that when i get a chance in a few weeeks. should be ok till then

volvokid
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 16:44
I'm going to order the RIP kit from IPD, Just have to wait for them to get the new style in stock.

redbaron
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 18:06
is it really that simple?what about the silicone hoses,are they simply bends or do i need to get special bends made up?

p fandango
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 20:26
is it really that simple?
ish, you will need several pieces welding (T-piece for the idle valve, PCV & MAF collar)

what about the silicone hoses,are they simply bends or do i need to get special bends made up?
nope all brought off the shelf, even all the angled reducers were brought straight off ebay (seller called nicenewcar)

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3f5496234a.jpg

pangster
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 20:48
Is there really any noticeable benefit for doing this?.. seems like a lot of hassle (and expense) if there's not.. I've read a few posts on it and am still unclear as some people say it makes a difference and others don't... hmmm..

zoomungus
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 20:58
i am so going to this when i get time!

p fandango
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 21:25
Is there really any noticeable benefit for doing this?.. seems like a lot of hassle (and expense) if there's not.. I've read a few posts on it and am still unclear as some people say it makes a difference and others don't... hmmm..
i had the factory reverse flow as standard so can't say if there is a difference between normal, when i upgraded to my own spec pipes i also fitted a modified 960 throttle body which made a huge difference

pangster
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 21:28
i had the factory reverse flow as standard so can't say if there is a difference between normal, when i upgraded to my own spec pipes i also fitted a modified 960 throttle body which made a huge difference

LOL! - fair enough.. be interesting to see exactly what the difference between the two are though and if there is any benefit to doing it..

t5 pete
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 21:30
When i fitted myne the pick up was a bit quicker but nothing much i think the main reason ppl fit this is due to how nice the pipes look

volvokid
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 21:31
LOL! - fair enough.. be interesting to see exactly what the difference between the two are though and if there is any benefit to doing it..

Pm chad he says there is defo a diffrence when he boosts.

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 22:10

What was modified about the Throttle body Pedro?

p fandango
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 22:24
What was modified about the Throttle body Pedro?
i smoothed it out internally mate, had quite a ridge inside like the 850 one does

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/cb4c81f1f8.jpg
960 on the left, 850 on the right

850twr
Sunday 4th January 2009, 00:26
thats huge in comparison! is it a straight bolt-on swap? altho i guess my standard hose wouldn't go over that. and can the TPS be swapped between the two?

Tomcat
Sunday 4th January 2009, 01:41
Yup, we defo need more info on this swap please.

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 06:44
thats huge in comparison! is it a straight bolt-on swap? altho i guess my standard hose wouldn't go over that. and can the TPS be swapped between the two?
it does bolt straight on but the manifold opening needs enlarging, & yes you'll need a 76mm pipe onto it (standard is 55mm). The TPS does fit straight on but angled the opposite way so the 3 wire need extending

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 06:51
Yup, we defo need more info on this swap please.
it does take quite alot of the slow speed drivability out of it, very jerky at around town speeds. I fitted the enlarged MAF, enlarged reverse flow kit & new cone filter at the same time so can't confirm what made the most difference out of the lot (but i do know i like it :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQAYXfmhco

Enigma666
Sunday 4th January 2009, 10:38
Nice brake squeel there Duane lol somebody didn't copper grease them bad boys up properly lol

p fandango
Sunday 4th January 2009, 10:40
Nice brake squeel there Duane lol somebody didn't copper grease them bad boys up properly lol
or copper grease them at all thinking about it lol

Enigma666
Sunday 4th January 2009, 11:12
:buttkick: lol

850twr
Sunday 4th January 2009, 22:45
nice vid fandango, should of given it a bit more tho :p lol, glad to see im not the only who has a loose led/alarm thingy on the dash.

p fandango
Monday 5th January 2009, 05:08
nice vid fandango, should of given it a bit more tho :p lol, glad to see im not the only who has a loose led/alarm thingy on the dash.
the video was the first time i'd drove it with the new pipework so took it easy incase any blew off (don't worry she'll be back on the strip as early as poss this year). As for the alarm LED i've binned that now, too heavy lol

dangerstevie
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 12:27
IMHO the enlarged throttle body is not required until you are flowing LOTS of air, like 500+ bhp. The std bore throttle gives excellent drivability and very good flow, if you absolutly have to you can smooth off the tiny bolts that hold the butterfly in position, that will help keep the air slightly more laminar and less turbulant but it really wont make much difference. As duane said the larger throttle makes things jerky and makes the throttle more of a switch. it will also mess up your fuelling at part throttle because the throttle is letting in much more air for any given degree of throttle movement. You could be at 100% flow at 60-70% throttle opening with a throttle that big, yet the ECU would only see it as 60-70% of max flow and therefore only fuel for that causing it to run erratically etc etc. But the RIP setup i think is worth doing, colder is better.

p fandango
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 06:23
i don't know the theory side of much engineering (& tbh prefer trial & error & find out for myself) but there are a few things baffling me there

IMHO the enlarged throttle body is not required until you are flowing LOTS of air, like 500+ bhp. The std bore throttle gives excellent drivability and very good flow, if you absolutly have to you can smooth off the tiny bolts that hold the butterfly in position, that will help keep the air slightly more laminar and less turbulant but it really wont make much difference.
you say the 55mm standard throttle body would be enough to flow 500bhp, yet weren't happy with your canistor filter because it would strangle the engine!!

As duane said the larger throttle makes things jerky and makes the throttle more of a switch. it will also mess up your fuelling at part throttle because the throttle is letting in much more air for any given degree of throttle movement. You could be at 100% flow at 60-70% throttle opening with a throttle that big, yet the ECU would only see it as 60-70% of max flow and therefore only fuel for that causing it to run erratically etc etc. But the RIP setup i think is worth doing, colder is better.
i agree the throttle is opening sooner because of the bigger butterfly, but the ECU will still measure the correct amount of air being used from the MAF. Even with the bigger opening won't the engine only use the amount of air it needs? The standard ECU is very adaptive & learns what is going on from other sensors. I'm running a totally standard ECU & when fresh won't even tick-over my engine, after every crank the ECU trys different settings & now runs fine

as i said i already had the reverse flow, & just upgrading to 3" pipe & the throttle body has made enough of difference i can feel that i want to get it re-dyno'd because i'm expecting a 5-10bhp increase (which i don't believe is solely down to the pipework)

dangerstevie
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 12:26
The canister filter was tiny and would not flow anywhere near enough as the throttle body can, yes the engine will suck in the same amount of air but at a lower throttle opening with the bigger throttle, ie it needs less opening to flow the same amountso the TPS reading will be low for that given amount of air and therefore the fuelling and ign timing will be out, maybe not by an auful lot but it will be out.

The standard throttle body is plenty big enough for a street motor with lots of power.

p fandango
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 14:10
what i was trying to point out tho is that the map position isn't just figured out from the TPS overwise they wouldn't of bothered fitting a MAF sensor, the axis on the maps i've seen were labelled "load" & "rpm"

dangerstevie
Friday 9th January 2009, 09:59
And to calculate the load the ECU will use TPS as a multiplier in the fuelling algorithms. so your fuelling will be out.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 9th January 2009, 10:40
If anyone wants - I can get on a train and fetch to Birmingham any kits you'd like from ET. It's about an hour by train from Den Haag. Small stuff like intercooler pipes will fit quiet easily into my hand luggage and I do return regularly to the UK

850twr
Friday 9th January 2009, 14:32
i agree the throttle is opening sooner because of the bigger butterfly, but the ECU will still measure the correct amount of air being used from the MAF. Even with the bigger opening won't the engine only use the amount of air it needs?

Makes sense to me fandango, fueling IS done off the MAF, not the throttle position sensor. and as you said the the ecu does learn and adapt.

redbaron
Friday 9th January 2009, 18:46
@ wobbly dave,you're letting yourself in for quite a haul,you'll be inundated with requests now, '' can you bring me lights with you'' etc

dangerstevie
Friday 9th January 2009, 19:36
Ok guys, think what you like about the throttle body, its your own call

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th January 2009, 10:38
@ wobbly dave,you're letting yourself in for quite a haul,you'll be inundated with requests now, '' can you bring me lights with you'' etc
so long as things are not too large or heavy - I can usually oblige. I guess the major question is - which is cheaper and more convenient. I have a feeling that TNT post will work out better in most cases. I can only carry up to 10Kg and a certain size on as hand luggage - plus no liquids more than 100ml. I wouldnt really wish to have checked luggage if possible.

LesRED850R
Monday 12th January 2009, 11:28
Makes sense to me fandango, fueling IS done off the MAF, not the throttle position sensor. and as you said the the ecu does learn and adapt.
Thats why there is a group [ in USA Volvospeed forums ] that work with the standard ECU and modify as much as they want , ie big injectors,turbos,TCVs , exhausts,etc . They dont need to EX$$PEND on ECU so save a LOT! Worth a look or try.

PaulZX
Friday 23rd January 2009, 16:02
I'm gonna get the piping together over the next month or so (I've got new wheels and those sexy angel-eyes to buy first) and surgery shall be performed....

Flatout Phil
Saturday 19th June 2010, 15:49
So does a BOV no longer go in the top pipe with a RIP? Assume the function alters as the flow has been reversed?

p fandango
Saturday 19th June 2010, 16:43
So does a BOV no longer go in the top pipe with a RIP? Assume the function alters as the flow has been reversed?
sorry for the delay, PM'd now

brett craig
Saturday 19th June 2010, 19:43
can you post the answer to the dumpvalve question please mate, so i know what to do with mine when it arrives next week

cheers muchley

orse
Saturday 19th June 2010, 21:40
I am presuming the dump valve principle is still the same.That being it should be position in the turbo pipe work as close to the throttle body as possible.So with the rip pipework this would be in the pipe from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle body.Confirmation appreciated

Flatout Phil
Saturday 19th June 2010, 22:49
I am presuming the dump valve principle is still the same.That being it should be position in the turbo pipe work as close to the throttle body as possible.So with the rip pipework this would be in the pipe from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle body.Confirmation appreciated

This seems to concur with Duane's thoughts on the matter. So assume this is correct.

p fandango
Sunday 20th June 2010, 01:10

This seems to concur with Duane's thoughts on the matter. So assume this is correct.
yeh, as close to the throttle body as possible