PDA

View Full Version : quiet polybush???

nathT5
Thursday 1st January 2009, 17:45
after a run in t5pete,s car yesterday i found out my new top mount polybush is too quiet.
his sounds like its running filterless throttle-bodies and no bonnet but mine is far too tame compared.
it is fitted correctly and everythings fully tightend up so whats gone wrong, any ideas? :confused:

My T5
Thursday 1st January 2009, 18:57
Hi,what make is it mate?Ive got a powerflex one (blue/purple in colour) and its loud on acceleration.In fact similar to having a cotton cone style air filter fitted.I know you can get ones from pfv that are quiet(i think they are black)

stainesy
Thursday 1st January 2009, 20:25
i have a powerflex to and sounds awsome

t5 pete
Thursday 1st January 2009, 20:30
Hi nath it might be a silly question but its the only thing i can think of did you put the metal sleve inside the two poly bushes

nathT5
Thursday 1st January 2009, 22:01
it is the purple powerflex one and yes i did fit the steel sleave inside :confused:

stainesy
Thursday 1st January 2009, 22:23
is the other end of the arm that holds it atached proply to the body?

t5 pete
Thursday 1st January 2009, 22:32
is the other end of the arm that holds it atached proply to the body?

Yep every thing is atached proply and dog tight

t5 pete
Thursday 1st January 2009, 22:35
it is the purple powerflex one and yes i did fit the steel sleave inside :confused:

well honestly nath i havent got a clue then i cant see why it should sound different to myne

stainesy
Thursday 1st January 2009, 22:38
that is an odd one. unless there is a reason not to do with the polly why it dont?
just a thought

shaun850
Thursday 1st January 2009, 22:44
Probably mean's all of your other engine mount's are in Very good condition.

t5 pete
Thursday 1st January 2009, 23:00
Probably mean's all of your other engine mount's are in Very good condition.

The only other mount i would have thought that would come into consideration is the firewall mount but most people i have spoken to have the same results as me when fitting the poly bush

stainesy
Thursday 1st January 2009, 23:05
what air filter do you have?

t5 pete
Thursday 1st January 2009, 23:06

I think its a standard one nath has with a drilled air box

PNuT
Friday 2nd January 2009, 04:38

superflex ones are also purple & very quiet....

Alan M
Friday 2nd January 2009, 09:04
I have a powerflex item and mine is fairly quiet which I am very happy with.

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 09:08

do you mean a standered paper filter in the air box?

as when i changed my mount to a powerflex i changed my air filter to a K&N panel filter at the same time. so im not sure if it was the polly mount or the filter that made the diferance in sound or a mixture of both.

Alan M
Friday 2nd January 2009, 09:13
The K&N panel filter doesn't really make to much of a difference in noise output from the exhaust (not on mine anyway). Stainsey I think the drilled airbox may make a difference in noise but it can be a bit of a performance restriction sucking lots of hot air in from the engine bay.

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 09:25
im realy happy with my engine sound. its realy throaty and beefy sounding since i put the polly bush on. not a fan of drilling holes in things just for a a better sound. the car sounds good as it is. dont understand why people would wona reduce good air for the sake of a sound

zoomungus
Friday 2nd January 2009, 10:32
dudes, am i missing something here? polly bush is suspension right? so whats it got to do with the engine sound? or am i being blonde? i will be poly bushing when i get the time a any info is good

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 10:58
dudes, am i missing something here? polly bush is suspension right? so whats it got to do with the engine sound? or am i being blonde? i will be poly bushing when i get the time a any info is good

polly bush in the top engine mount we are talking about.

if you look just above the yellow boost pipe on my engine you will see the purple polly bush we are talking about mate

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/4.jpg

zoomungus
Friday 2nd January 2009, 12:01
mines still a black rubber thing, thanks for the info

AndysR
Friday 2nd January 2009, 15:29
My brothers S70R had a poly top mount fitted when he bought his car but it was alot quieter than mine despite being the same make. It then materialised that the other mount bush on the torque mount and an engine mount were in poor condition. After having these renewed the noise is now as loud as mine so might be worth checking your other mounts :)

nathT5
Friday 2nd January 2009, 15:30

yes its a standard filter but i know its not that.
ive just been for a run with NO filter atall and it sounds no different.
but as said before, maybe all the other mounts are good so the top-mount is not carrying much weight?

and the drilled airbox is now taped up as it sounds no better on a turbo engine.

nathT5
Friday 2nd January 2009, 15:32
My brothers S70R had a poly top mount fitted when he bought his car but it was alot quieter than mine despite being the same make. It then materialised that the other mount bush on the torque mount and an engine mount were in poor condition. After having these renewed the noise is now as loud as mine so might be worth checking your other mounts :)

which bush are you talking about? the one near the bulkhead on the opposite end of the mount?
if so, that one seems ok.

y2blade
Friday 2nd January 2009, 15:35
"quiet/noisey poly bush" "my poly bush is to quiet" "my poly bush sounds great"

....wtf are you guys on about? :confused:

nathT5
Friday 2nd January 2009, 16:10
its all about the top engine mount.

changing the original rubber one for a polybush transfers the engine vibration sounds to the bulkhead.
its a bit of a boy-racer mod but "SHOULD" sound awesome when floored if you like that sort of thing.

some sound like theres a fire-breathing V8 on steroids under the bonnet but mine does,nt :mad:

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 16:18
its all about the top engine mount.

changing the original rubber one for a polybush transfers the engine vibration sounds to the bulkhead.
its a bit of a boy-racer mod but "SHOULD" sound awesome when floored if you like that sort of thing.

some sound like theres a fire-breathing V8 on steroids under the bonnet but mine does,nt :mad:

yeah when i floor mine it sounds like a turbo V8 and then my big ass dump valve kicks in. love it. almost has the purple of a scooby but nicer

y2blade
Friday 2nd January 2009, 17:21
yeah when i floor mine it sounds like a turbo V8 and then my big ass dump valve kicks in. love it. almost has the purple of a scooby but nicer

so this polybush makes a 5cyl sound like a V8????
and it almost has the "purple" of a scooby?????? :confused: i'm even more confused now

AndysR
Friday 2nd January 2009, 17:58
which bush are you talking about? the one near the bulkhead on the opposite end of the mount?
if so, that one seems ok.

Yeah thats the one, did you take the mount off and look at it properly or are you just checking it visually whilst its still on the car?

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 17:59
basicly fitting a powerflex top engine mount maker your car sound awsome when floored and even when pulling away.

AndysR
Friday 2nd January 2009, 18:03
basicly fitting a powerflex top engine mount maker your car sound awsome when floored and even when pulling away.

Agreed :)

nathT5
Friday 2nd January 2009, 20:47
Yeah thats the one, did you take the mount off and look at it properly or are you just checking it visually whilst its still on the car?

i,ll check again as i cant remember but it looks good and theres no play in it atall.

AndysR
Friday 2nd January 2009, 21:10
i,ll check again as i cant remember but it looks good and theres no play in it atall.

Oh if there is no play then maybe it is as loud as it should be and you expected it to be louder?? :)

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 21:17
when i fitted mine i did it as my standered one was buggered and i thought sod it il get a polly. i didnt no that it changed the engine tone.

i had to pull over 3 times thinking sumit was rong with my car after doing it LOL.
till i asked on here and found out it wa normal. does sound awsome tho LOL

t5 pete
Friday 2nd January 2009, 21:22
Nath where did you get your bush from is it the powerflex one or the superflex one

pangster
Friday 2nd January 2009, 22:45
"quiet/noisey poly bush" "my poly bush is to quiet" "my poly bush sounds great"

....wtf are you guys on about? :confused:

seems like this topic has been discussed on here before.. a long time ago! lol!:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5687

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5706

I've got one on mine and noticed a difference in sound:

http://www.paullynch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/enginebay1.JPG

Although I've since changed all the engine mounts as well.. makes sense that it will be louder as the noise cannot be absorbed by the soft stock OEM mount so is transmitted through the bulk head.. every sound after all is a vibration..

:smile:

850twr
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 01:00
Although I've since changed all the engine mounts as well.. makes sense that it will be louder as the noise cannot be absorbed by the soft stock OEM mount so is transmitted through the bulk head.. every sound after all is a vibration..

:smile:

u nailed it pangster

nathT5
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 11:37
Nath where did you get your bush from is it the powerflex one or the superflex one

i got it off someone on here (not sure who?) and it came in a powerflex box :confused:
i,ll have to check the numbers on it :shifty:

stainesy
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 11:45
i got it off someone on here (not sure who?) and it came in a powerflex box :confused:
i,ll have to check the numbers on it :shifty:

my powerflex one has the words powerflex on both sides

nathT5
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 12:03
right, all mine has around the edge is PFF88-105, that is a powerflex part number.

stainesy
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 12:41
right, all mine has around the edge is PFF88-105, that is a powerflex part number.

duno then mate.
maybe powerflex do ones with a slitely diferant polly compound. if that makes any sence

just a thought:insane:

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 12:02
Reviving an old thread. This is worrying I know, but I want to QUIETEN K** VOL down a bit - and am thinking of returning to a standard top bush. Currently has purple Powerflex one. Donut question, but how tricky to refit a standard bush - will it need a press etc.? Or is there a quieter solution?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 16:24
Reviving an old thread. This is worrying I know, but I want to QUIETEN K** VOL down a bit - and am thinking of returning to a standard top bush. Currently has purple Powerflex one. Donut question, but how tricky to refit a standard bush - will it need a press etc.? Or is there a quieter solution?

Shame on you for wanting to quiet down the 5 pot chatter! ;) Its possible to refit the standard bush, but you will have to remove to whole arm, and yes, you'll have to use a press. I did read to make the standard bush last a bit longer, fit it 90 degrees out, i.e 3 o'clock, not 12.

You, should heard them when you have a poly bulkhead mount, it like having the engine in the cabin with you! :D

p fandango
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 16:40
You, should heard them when you have a poly bulkhead mount, it like having the engine in the cabin with you! :D
i've got that pleasure to come, i've not even started BT since i fitted it. Also got the poly gearbox mounts, plus no sound deadening so think it might be a bit noisey in there lool

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 17:11
I've got a poly gearbox mount to fit, which, I think will be soon, as I'm getting some nasty clunks on taking up the drive! Even that, or she's busy munching a driveshaft or two

p fandango
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 17:21
I've got a poly gearbox mount to fit, which, I think will be soon, as I'm getting some nasty clunks on taking up the drive! Even that, or she's busy munching a driveshaft or two
i've got the bigger mount done (well in, just needs compressing to get the bracket over) & got the smaller one to do, going to be fun as i can't get the bracket off so got to drill it while on the car lol. I'm hoping its going to exaggerate the noise quite nicely with all these poly mounts

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 19:03
Shame on you for wanting to quiet down the 5 pot chatter! ;) Its possible to refit the standard bush, but you will have to remove to whole arm, and yes, you'll have to use a press. I did read to make the standard bush last a bit longer, fit it 90 degrees out, i.e 3 o'clock, not 12.

Yes, Dave who I bought the car of was keen for me to put one on. Its not that I don't like the sound, it is great, but after a couple of hours it starts to be a bit intrusive...
Mind you, as an Imp owner, the R is more like an RR when it comes to comparing noise and vibration levels...

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 19:12
[quote=Flatout Phil;308297but after a couple of hours it starts to be a bit intrusive...[/quote]

Turn the radio up then! ;) :dgrin:

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 19:13
but after a couple of hours it starts to be a bit intrusive...

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 19:14

Result!

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 19:14
Sorry, double post