PDA

View Full Version : squeal on start

850twr
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 15:54
The last week or so, since we've had this colder weather i've been getting a squeal with every first daily start up, its not loud and is the sort of noise id associate with a auxiliary belt or similar, the noise goes up and down with the revs, and lasts around 2-3 minutes if left ticking over, or 1-2 minutes if driven.

The strange thing is when i lift the bonnet to have a listen the noise seems more pronounced at the gearbox side of the engine? could this just be the way the noise is being transmitted around the engine?
the belt appears to be in good condition, but i guess u never know till its off.

Any thoughts would be very helpfull.

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 18:13
As it's possibly coming from gearbox side? is it manual? could be the clutch thrust bearing? try starting car with foot on clutch?

abdul
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 19:13
probably your fan belt

zoomungus
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 19:21
sometimes I get a small farty noise when I pull away quickly, i know this sounds funny but its true and its not the wifey!

Hunter
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 19:41
The last week or so, since we've had this colder weather i've been getting a squeal with every first daily start up, its not loud and is the sort of noise id associate with a auxiliary belt or similar, the noise goes up and down with the revs, and lasts around 2-3 minutes if left ticking over, or 1-2 minutes if driven.

Most likely the water pump and/or idler pulley bearings.

850twr
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 22:19
ok thanks for info guys, from inside the car it sounds like its coming from the belt end of the engine, but it is very minor and as said only happens on a very cold start up, i'v also removed the insulation from under the bonnet so that may not be helping. think ill see how it goes.

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 22:24
ok thanks for info guys, from inside the car it sounds like its coming from the belt end of the engine, but it is very minor and as said only happens on a very cold start up, i'v also removed the insulation from under the bonnet so that may not be helping. think ill see how it goes.

is it manual or auto? if coming from gearbox end not certain how it could be waterpump or pulleys. if it's manual i'd go for thrust bearing next time you start it put yer foot on clutch first right down then start it, good luck

850twr
Thursday 1st January 2009, 00:09
yea it is a manual, it doesn't sound like a thrust bearing problem to me, but ill try dipping the clutch tomorrow just to rule it out. thanks and

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!

also noise from a worn thrust bearing wouldn't go up and down with the revs would it?

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 1st January 2009, 00:20
yea it is a manual, it doesn't sound like a thrust bearing problem to me, but ill try dipping the clutch tomorrow just to rule it out. thanks and

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!

also noise from a worn thrust bearing wouldn't go up and down with the revs would it?

yes i think it probably would

V70Stu
Thursday 1st January 2009, 23:25
to elimate the auxillary/fan belt noise you could try "Comma Belt Dressing". Previously I have used it to rejuvinate the fan belt on an Espace. Purchased from a local motor factors.

stainesy
Thursday 1st January 2009, 23:45
my aux belt sqeeks in the morning on first start up. sometimes it sqeeks for ages all the way to work. its not a loud sqeek tho its kinda like 2 small birds talking to each other under the bonnet. but then i have weeks when it dont make a sound. i bought a new aux belt for mine about 2 months ago and its still in the boot brand new LOL