PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pressure regulator - where is it/how to test?

daveforber
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 23:40
Hi all, been a while.

I've had my V40 2.0T for around 9 months now, and ever since I've had it, it's been a bit of a pig to start. It'll crank for quite a long time before having to be coaxed in with a little throttle, followed by plenty of blue smoke, then all's fine.

Anyway, it's annoying me now. I replaced the HT leads (not the coils) recently, and the sparkies and fuel filter were done after I had it, probably 6 months old now.

From a little Googling, it looks like it could be the fuel pressure regulator.

Firstly is there any particular test I can do to check the FPR (preferably without spending lots of money).

Secondly, where is it (I'm happy to fiddle with some guidance - tell me which pipe it's in and it'll be fine)?

And finally if I replace it with a universal FPR like R-Spec's (http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=448) or a cheaper one from Fleabay, does anyone know what pressure to set it to?

As always, many thanks in advance.

timbo_1975
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 08:39
A reluctance to fire from cold and needing very careful throttle is almost always the CTS - ECU doesnt know the engine is cold- so no extra fuel.

Tim.

Enigma666
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 11:40
Secondly, where is it (I'm happy to fiddle with some guidance - tell me which pipe it's in and it'll be fine)?

It's actually attached to the fuel rail at the end of it but I would agree with timbo here, it is unlikely to be an FPR.

And finally if I replace it with a universal FPR like R-Spec's (http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?mai..._image&pID=448) or a cheaper one from Fleabay, does anyone know what pressure to set it to?

It is possible but the dimensions all need to be the same etc, you can also fit an adjustable FPR from ebay but that would involve making a return line to the tank.

Best bet is if you think it really is that, shout Rufe (from this forum) and ask him for a price on an FPR but he has had some bad news recently so leave it a little before doing that :)

daveforber
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 17:08
Thanks for the replies.

I might replace the FPR anyway as they're cheap on Fleabay. I can understand the CTS being a culprit (had a similar issue on a motorbike), but the gauge in dash is reading correctly (i.e. cold when it's cold, moving slowly upwards as you'd expect).

Also blue smoke and a stink of petrol on startup makes me think it's fuel related (i.e. too much rather than too little) ... unless that's a symptom of the CTS too!

daveforber
Friday 1st May 2009, 20:43
Just to bring this one to a close, it was the FPR. I finally got round to replacing it today.

The location on the T4 I think is is on the left side of the car (as you sit in it) above the vac pipe where the boost gauge is usually plumbed in. On my car, a 2.0T it's under the fuel rail, which has to come out (with the injectors according to VADIS). As I'm a bit ham-fisted I didn't want to mess up injectors or cause a fuel leak, I had it done.

So, if yours is cranking for an eternity warm or cold, running a bit rough to start with and pumping out blue petrol-stinking smoke, check out the FPR.

Starts on the button (almost) now.