PDA

View Full Version : Removing the funnel infront of the rad!

cameron
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 21:01
A lot of people have told me to remove the funnel that feeds the air into the engine, the one just in front of the radiator near the horns.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/14T5.jpg

Does this make any difference at all and is it worth the while ?

Cheers guys.

Lee

stainesy
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 21:11
do you have a normal panel filter?

cameron
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 21:14
I have a pipercross performance panel filter stainesy.

Cheers

Lee

stainesy
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 21:19
I have a pipercross performance panel filter stainesy.

Cheers

Lee

i have a K&N pannel filter and i was thinking maybethere is a better way of getting air to it. not sure about removing the cold air feed tho.

was thinking of removing it and replacing it with a better cold air feed coming from one of the lower grills on the bumper.

woz
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 21:53
i have a K&N pannel filter and i was thinking maybethere is a better way of getting air to it. not sure about removing the cold air feed tho.

was thinking of removing it and replacing it with a better cold air feed coming from one of the lower grills on the bumper.

I wouldnt - you wont get the effect you are hoping for for the following reasons...
A) The air on a hot day is warmer nearer the road ( ever noticed the heat haze?)
B) You will pick up water and lots of crap, salt, grit, road kill etc. and will for evermore have to avoid fords and deep puddles to save your beloved engine.

The standard setup is pretty good, it is in front of the rad and picks up air off the pressure wave sitting in front of the matrix at any useful speed.

That said, I modded mine ( previous thread long ago) by turning the angle of it to face the front and painted the inside of the mouth bright red. Subtle, but make it visible when seen in a rear view mirror for instance. May add a hidden LED one day to be more dramatic.

Will see if I can post a pic.

However dont expect any extra power. I suspect the only route to more power from reducing the intake temp is by venting out all the hot air around the turbo and bring in cold air from a bonnet scoop to blow around the hot pipes - but I bet the effect is negligible compared with the heat shed from the intercooler - after all that is what it is there for. Best results would come from making it more efficient - water spray or an aquamist system.

Cheers

Woz

woz
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 21:55
Will try again later.

woz
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 22:10
It is actually more visible through the grill than the pic shows especially from dead ahead. This is NOT a performance enhancement - pure bling!!
Cheers
Woz

Niles
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 00:09
the little flap thingy is a snow guard, I took mine off ages ago. No 'real' benefits other than better air flow into the standard air box. Take it off right now mate!! Absolutely no harm in doing so unless you're planning to drive to Siberia.