PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather

850twr
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 14:56
Ok so fitted my bleed valve a little while back, and just want to thank the site and everyone for all the usefull advise on fitting and setup etc. I did have it set to a smidgen under a bar, which was fine in all gears, untill yesterday.lol. Seems everyone's right and the -1 degree air threw the fuel cut on (i was pumping the throttle in 3rd trying to get traction up a hill) so this may of not helped. now set at 13psi and all seems fine, and if anything with the lack of traction these temps seem to bring the car feels better and finds more tarmac to hang on to.

This leads me to another thing. I've owned my t5 for going on 6 months now and last week was my first decent out of town trip, and was really looking forward to some spirited driving, however i found on the open road, while great fun in a straight line its certainly not what i would call confidence inspiring. Just felt somewhat disconnected from the whole driving experience through what i know to be some lovely roads, and certainly not a patch on some of my previous cars (Alfa 155 v6, Peugeot 405 mi16 and even my old xj6 to an extent).

I have my lowering springs sitting here waiting, but have only just found out can't do the rears due to nivomats, correct??? once i have atleast the front lowered, some lower polybushes and a genuine strut brace fitted, can anyone speak from experience to say that it creates a different car in the twisties? also will it improve on traction?

look forward to your opinions.

Regards. Nick.

p.s. heres the result of my tuning so far (missus wasnt happy i left here choking in my smoke :s woops)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1R-TNf4xsk

Al115
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 15:35
Having owned a T5 with virtually every known handling modification myself, my opinion is that unless you go crazy with non-family-friendly mods (solid bushes, rock hard suspension, etc) the T5s are not well suited to twisty roads. That's why I changed to the lighter T4s, which cope much better with corners!

You can improve a lot over standard with the mods you mention though. Sling the Nivomats out and change dampers and springs front and rear if you are serious about it. Good luck!

timbo_1975
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 17:48
Seriously, you will be amazed what a transformation of sticking on some fresh dampers on the stock springs. Re-bush the front wishbones with either stock of poly's, and after checking the top mounts are not sloppy- fit a strut brace.

It is a heavy car so never going to like the twisties like a Focus, but when its all in good order they will handle tidily.

The above will easily get the front end under control but without a super-custom rear strut brace like you can have with the estates the back end will always feel it's being dragged along abit quicker than it would like.

Tim..

nathT5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 18:10
mines fully polybushed and has the bilstein/eibach set-up along with big brakes and 17" titans.
its definately a rock hard ride but handles superb and its a massive difference over a standard car.
ive also had a modified alfa 155 v6 but this feels better imho, not as nose heavy and far quicker.

although it has,nt quite got the soundtrack...

nathT5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 18:15
the back end will always feel it's being dragged along abit quicker than it would like.

Tim..

i know exactly what your talking about, mine gets quite scarey when pushed hard :eye-poppi

timbo_1975
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 18:24
If the rear end really is abit floppy- have you checked the delta arm bushes?

850twr
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 23:42
all 4 shocks where replaced just before i bought the car, the back end feels ok tbh, just more bothered about the veig feel of the front end.

Babybadger
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 23:59
Standard 16's with eibach/koni fsd and strut brace all polybushed up handle very well indeed.....still some comfort. If I was living in France I would put the Comets back on.....

850twr
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 00:24
Standard 16's with eibach/koni fsd and strut brace all polybushed up handle very well indeed.....still some comfort. If I was living in France I would put the Comets back on.....

so you saying that with that set-up and 17's the ride is too firm for our roads?
also would you be interested in selling your comets?

Al115
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 10:44
Weren't they MY Comets? :D :D :D