PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing?

TenaciousC
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 12:10
Hi,

I'm after some opinions on these symptoms on a 850T5 esate (104,000 miles)......

Occasional quiet knocking (rate proportional to road speed) felt through steering and body. Seems to come from front right. Braking and power make no difference. Goes away after a minute or so.
Imprecise steering / handling (most noticeably on motorway).
Wobbly vibration felt under braking.
Tyres wearing on outer edge
Right hand front wheel feels warm (not hot) in comparison to left after use.

I have read that disk brake warping is a common problem. Is that a symptom of a worn bearing, or can it cause a worn bearing? If it wasn't for the knocking noise, I would have thought this was purely an alignment issue.

Thoughts and opinions please :wavey:

Cheers

C

Alan M
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 12:32
You may be getting a sticking caliper. It may also be down to the lower arm bushes. The lower arm bushes are best replaced for polyurethane items and stripping the brakes down should give you an idea if the caliper piston is sticking or difficult to move.

TenaciousC
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 14:41
Hi - Cheers for that ... so would I need the Front Wishbone bush kit from Parts for Volvo? Is it a difficult job to fit them?

C

850twr
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 15:24
no the volvo lower arm bushes are prone to excessive wear, get some Polybushes instead...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERFLEX-SUSPENSION-BUSHES-VOLVO-850-S70-V70-T5-BUSH_W0QQitemZ120283480632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item120283480632&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

that kit also comes with the top engine poly mount, another weak spot on these cars and also well worth it. The lower arm bushes will need to be "pressed" in so will have to pay someone to do it, maybe an hours labour per side tops.

Niles
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 16:25
poly lower arm bushes go in easily. No need for 'pressing', easy home job mate. Trickyest bit is getting the old bushes out tho.

Alan M
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 00:29
Cut the old bushes out with a holesaw then use a hacksaw to cut the metal outer then prize the metal out. Push the new polybushes in, job done.

TenaciousC
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 23:08
Got the bushes - just reading up on how to do the job. Am I correct in thinking that I need to remove the lower arm completely.....so that I can press/cut out the bushes easily? How hard is the balljoint to separate? Is there a howto? I couldn't find one.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

C

Jod T5
Wednesday 14th January 2009, 00:12
Hi,

I'm after some opinions on these symptoms on a 850T5 esate (104,000 miles)......

Occasional quiet knocking (rate proportional to road speed) felt through steering and body. Seems to come from front right. Braking and power make no difference. Goes away after a minute or so.
Imprecise steering / handling (most noticeably on motorway).
Wobbly vibration felt under braking.
Tyres wearing on outer edge
Right hand front wheel feels warm (not hot) in comparison to left after use.

I have read that disk brake warping is a common problem. Is that a symptom of a worn bearing, or can it cause a worn bearing? If it wasn't for the knocking noise, I would have thought this was purely an alignment issue.

Thoughts and opinions please :wavey:

Cheers

C

Sounds the exact symptoms of a worn bottom ball joint....
Cheers
Jod

850twr
Wednesday 14th January 2009, 00:26
Sounds the exact symptoms of a worm bottom ball joint....
Cheers
Jod

worthwhile changing while you have the arms off.

TenaciousC
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 10:37
Just to close this... vibration symptoms were linked to a seized caliper which had caused the disc to become unusually shaped causing the vibration. Replaced disks and pads and freed up caliper all good now. :-)

Handling much improved after powerflex bushes and new wheels and tyres.