PDA

View Full Version : Throttle pedal sensor V70 P2

exfuzzyt5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 08:13
Got a question about the throttle pedal – ran diagnostics on the car and it came up with three faults – these are generic codes and Volvo main stealers don’t know what they are – anyway one is the lambda sensor – the other is fuel trim too lean and the other is throttle pedal sensor

P1133
P0171
P1172

So my question having spoken to Volvo – if I replace the pedal (@£90) I need new software downloaded ££££££

Does this sound correct?

Can the sensor be replaced or serviced on the pedal as there's nothing wrong with the rest of it?

Thanks in advance

Mark

thebadger
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 18:30
No.

They should clean it under warranty (assuming it's done less than 100K miles).

The ETM is a major issue on early P2 late P1 modles as they bought them cheap from italy....

They should fix it gratis.

exfuzzyt5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 19:55
is there away of telling if its the cheapoo one from Italy?

thebadger
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 20:42
what year is it?

thebadger
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 20:49
Ahh 2001, yeah it's guilty of the pish poor sensor.

The best thing to do is go to a main stealer claiming high idling... dead spots in the throttle... stuttering when pressing the accelerator.

They should look at the ETM.

This WILL need a clean!

They do this under warranty!

But be careful not to put your foot in your mouth by demanding they do it!

richiemat
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 21:42
...to add if it is the ETM then i found that informing the main dealer that it cuts out altogether on the motorway gets it booked in nice and fast :)

thebadger
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 23:32
...to add if it is the ETM then i found that informing the main dealer that it cuts out altogether on the motorway gets it booked in nice and fast :)

lol, yeah, imbelish that report!

A good idea is to say you have heard of issues with ETM's & ask if it might be something like that.

If they clean it for nowt you're laughing! The line they sold me was £480 to replace the ETM, or clean it for £0.

It took me ages to dicide... lol!

Loadsamiles
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 03:28
Got a question about the throttle pedal – ran diagnostics on the car and it came up with three faults – these are generic codes and Volvo main stealers don’t know what they are – anyway one is the lambda sensor – the other is fuel trim too lean and the other is throttle pedal sensor

P1133
P0171
P1172

So my question having spoken to Volvo – if I replace the pedal (@£90) I need new software downloaded ££££££

Does this sound correct?

Can the sensor be replaced or serviced on the pedal as there's nothing wrong with the rest of it?

Thanks in advance

Mark

You're pissing in the dark with those codes TBH.

Do you actually have any symptoms of anything on the car or have you just plugged it in, seen them, and thought "oh £££££"?

You'd need to know the real Volvo codes. Why they have occurred and if they were just intermittent or permanent faults.

It would be stupid in the extreme to replace a lambda sensor just because it triggered a code once due to funny fuel.

exfuzzyt5
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 07:46
You're pissing in the dark with those codes TBH.

lol - thats what Volvo said!!!!

Yeah symptoms are permanent and I did think ''oh sh*t'' but have reset the fault codes now but still have the same symptoms which are a misfire through the rev range and from idle when you push the accelerator it would not pick up cleanly until the pedal was in a certain position - the dash info was displaying 'emissions service required' so I'm sure the codes seem to point in the right areas

The lambda probe I tested yesterday on the bench with a blow torch and it was completely dead - tested my 850 T5 as a check and it gave incremental readings on the digi volt meter - also the diagnostics on the laptop when it was running were showing a static output voltage from the probe - so this seems to confirm its knackered

Going to put a new set of plugs in today and a new probe and see what that does - keep you posted

Will try the ETM thing at the main dealers once I've got it MOT'd and taxed - thanks for the inside on that one

Loadsamiles
Wednesday 31st December 2008, 19:52
lol - thats what Volvo said!!!!

Yeah symptoms are permanent and I did think ''oh sh*t'' but have reset the fault codes now but still have the same symptoms which are a misfire through the rev range and from idle when you push the accelerator it would not pick up cleanly until the pedal was in a certain position - the dash info was displaying 'emissions service required' so I'm sure the codes seem to point in the right areas

The lambda probe I tested yesterday on the bench with a blow torch and it was completely dead - tested my 850 T5 as a check and it gave incremental readings on the digi volt meter - also the diagnostics on the laptop when it was running were showing a static output voltage from the probe - so this seems to confirm its knackered

Going to put a new set of plugs in today and a new probe and see what that does - keep you posted

Will try the ETM thing at the main dealers once I've got it MOT'd and taxed - thanks for the inside on that one

I've used 3 types of code readers.

First I had an OBDII reader (and still have) from e-bay. It's useful for some generic stuff but most stuff doesn't match up with Volvo's codes at all.

Then I used a BSR PPC Disgnostics, which actually read out Volvo specific codes. that was better as it actually got the codes from the individual modules but still not perfect.

Now I have a Volvo VCT2000 interface unit for VADIS. From this I can see exactly how diferent the codes from the OBDII unit can be.

The "throttle pedal sensor" from the OBDII could refer to either the pedal or the ETM.

exfuzzyt5
Thursday 1st January 2009, 11:22
Intersting stuff on the readers - is the VCT2000 interface only avaiable from Volvo?

Changed the lambda sensor yesterday - seems to of fixed the problem - shes flying on all five now - need to investigate these readers and sort the ETM/pedal issue

Is this reader any good?

http://www.ppc-diagnostic.com/