PDA

View Full Version : alpine cd changer

Chad
Sunday 28th December 2008, 15:06
hi people, anyone fitted a alpine mp3 cd changer to the sc901????

im trying to find the interfaces and am having no joy. i keep getting the normal interface for the non mp3 alpine changer.

any help welcomed

thanks

Chad

Jon K
Sunday 28th December 2008, 17:19
Hi Chad,

The Alpine CD changer for the volvo is probably going to be a "M-Bus" unit as it is on the slightly older models like mine. There is a small change in protocol (to make it Volvo) and you can get an interface to deal with this.

For the later Alpine MP3 changers they will be "Ai-Net" which is a totally different system and I suspect it would be impossible to get them to talk.

If you want to check this out try Alpine UK technical (0845 313 1660), they are very helpful.

Hope that helps!!

Chad
Sunday 28th December 2008, 17:59
hi jon, the ai-net is only for connecting alpine to alpine. but to connect the alpine changer to the volvo sc901 headunit i need the interface leead that connects through the m bus like you said. but i can only find the interface for the non-mp3 changers (cha-s620 - cha-s630), i need the interface lead/connector for the cha-s634 changer.

Enigma666
Sunday 28th December 2008, 19:52
Chad....
I 'think' this (http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2097.html) is what you are after mate. Pricey though :(

Chad
Monday 29th December 2008, 01:36
cheers enigma.........your right about the price...

Jon K
Monday 29th December 2008, 09:12
No that wont do it.

I have a spare one of these. The volvo head units (for our era anyway) are M-Bus. This adaptor changes the plugs and the small difference in protocol that volvo had Alpine impliment to make it proprietary.

Basically if you look at the Alpine product names you have CHM-XXX and CHA-XXX.

Anything with an M is M-Bus and yes you guessed it anything with A is Ai-Net

It is the CHA units that play MP3 and these are very different.

Jon K
Monday 29th December 2008, 12:02
I was at the car audio shop this morning so I asked the question.

They say it is possible but you will need two adaptors.

First you need the Vola 2 to make your head unit speak normal alpine Mbus. then you get an Alpine CHA MP3 changer that you want to use. Finally I am told you use an Alpine KCA-130B Ai-net DIN adapter which allows an Ai net changer to connect to a Mbus head. This Alpine adapter is apparently about 15 quid.

I hope that helps

MSc70t5
Monday 29th December 2008, 21:35
I had this set-up before, and all I had was the Alpline CHM changer 630 I think and the VOL02ALP and it worked a treat, however you cannot use the existing volvo changer cable from the boot to the HU but you will have to lay the Alpine one which comes with the changer so one end of the cable goes into the VOL02ALP and the other lead which comes out of the VOL02ALP goes into the changer socket on the SC-901, just watch when you push it all back that the cable says in. The VOL02ALP needs a power source and inline fuse as well, so you'll have to break into 12+ source in the radio wiring bunch. Once done select CD-6 and all should be fine.

Jon K
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 09:28
That is the set up I originally had, but if you get the newer Ai net changer then you can play MP3 discs as well. So that would be 6 discs with approx 7 Albums on each one.

The CHM-S630 does not support MP3.

MSc70t5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 18:00
[/URL]This may seem strange, but the Alpine 630 played alot of CD's in various formats for which the SC-901 would never play up front and I'm sure some of these CD's were backup MP3's.
I think with the price of Double Din units now it seems better to swap the standard HU and go for an aftermarket one which does a hell of alot more for just a little bit more. But even I will say the volvo headunits fit better in the dash, each to there own. I fitted the attached a few months back and have been really happy with it plus the screen comes off for safe keeping when I leave the car and over night. Added bluetooth and iPod plus I still gotta sort the rear camera out.

Can't seem to attach the pic now. link below if it works. God I amaze myself at times, it works! lol

[url]http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16613 (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16613)