PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 exhaust. Custom or off the shelf?

Gwaredd
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:42
I really want to replace the stock exhaust, cat back, on my T5, not so much for more power, more-so to hear that growly engine a little better.

I'v had a quote from chip-tuning for a stainless jobbie for £280, but am unsure of how it will sound. I certainly don't want 'close to stock' noise.

I've also had a quote for a custom made one @ £350 & he recons that the 'suitcase' middle box robs around 15bhp (smelling bull££££ already eh?) & he'll make one with 1 large rear silencer so it will sound fruity, but not boomey so as to upset/annoy my wife & 1 year old girl.

I'm also waiting on a price for a Miltek one.

Have you guys any experience on these set-ups? Is the Chip-tuning one too quiet, or single box ones too noisy?

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Mrsmopp
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:50
By Chip - tuning I assume you mean VT?

TME do a good exhaust system, and GuyT5's zorst is pretty fab, a little better than stock without being in yer face - he got that from VT.

As for the custom one - there are good and bad companies out there but anybody who tries to make out that your loosing 15ponies through your standard zorst I'd leave well alone!

x

Justin
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:53
VT supply the Miltek system and after hearing guys, i would say its on my list.....its so subtle on normal driving, as soon as you open the taps the roar becomes more apparent but not enough to deafen, just a well made, good flow system that wont wake the nieghbours at 5am, but sounds just a tad better than the stock one.

Gwaredd
Monday 9th May 2005, 14:05
Cheers guys. I thinks 15 bhp is a little OTT, maybe around 5 is more realistic. I tried to tell him I'm not in it for the power, just the noise, I guess he's used to too many kev's in novas.

The place is called Torque Techinique Ltd in Wilton (Salisbury) & come Highly recommended, but I think £350 for a mild steel single box system is a tad too pricey.

Just waiting for Adam to confirm that it's the Miltek one he quoted me for & I'll be giving him a call.

Gwaredd.

After_Shock
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 18:58
I saw a 15bhp increase in replacing the downpipe and full exhaust system and fitting a race cat without a re-map so dont disbelieve all of the power figures, the exhaust fitted to some of the Volvo's is overly restrictive!

Gwaredd
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 19:00
Yeah, that 'suitcase' middlebox takes the pee. Just ordered a Milltek Jobbie from VT, so I'll let you know.

Gwaredd.