PDA

View Full Version : c70 ICE problem

skye
Sunday 28th December 2008, 13:01
Son has 98 c70 t5.Head unit blew up ??
I bought him a kenwood head unit and harness adaptor.Powers up fine but cant get sound.There is 1 small block in car ( with 1 wire going into it ,which fits into second block on harness adaptor , or there is a small green adaptor on car which doesnt fit.There is also a small 8 pin din plug and a larger 6 pin din plug in car. Any help would be appreciated , pulling what little hair I have left out !!!

Wombatbomb
Sunday 28th December 2008, 13:14
Son has 98 c70 t5.Head unit blew up ??
I bought him a kenwood head unit and harness adaptor.Powers up fine but cant get sound.There is 1 small block in car ( with 1 wire going into it ,which fits into second block on harness adaptor , or there is a small green adaptor on car which doesnt fit.There is also a small 8 pin din plug and a larger 6 pin din plug in car. Any help would be appreciated , pulling what little hair I have left out !!!

The speakers in the C70 are all connected to an amp in the boot. The larger 6 pin din is the connection for this. At the moment, the new headuint isn't connected to any speakers. 2 options, you can either rewire all the speakers to the headunit, or buy one of these in order to make use of the existing amp and wiring....

http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_dincable.html

skye
Sunday 28th December 2008, 13:21
There are no preouts on new head unit - does that matter ?

timbo_1975
Sunday 28th December 2008, 13:49
All the speaker cables are in the boot connected to the amp, so running them forwards to the new HU will be a painstaking job.

It should like the amp or its power supply is the actual problem rather than the original Volvo HU, so deal with that first.

Tim.

skye
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 22:03
Has anyone got a reconditioned or second hand volvo cd / radio for a 98 c70 ?
thanks for assistance.

70fan
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 22:21
Ah, you're having the exact same problem as me at the moment (after I let the battery go flat and can't get the radio to accept its code)

Ideally, you want a head unit with 2 pre-outs on the back to use with the cable mentioned above... (luckily I have one left over from my never to be mentioned past in car modifying)

Failing that, you're looking figuring out the wiring and connecting it to the head unit wiring "manually" at a guess.

Agtrak100
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 18:22
Hi Guys
I had the same problem that you have all had with regard to the various plugs on the back of the Volvo unit in my 1999 C70 T5 wit the amp in the boot....
Go To Halford they usually stock a plug abd play for the power side... however.....
if you go through a couple of pages in this part of the forum you will come across an article about the 6 pin din plug... this is the the plug that carries the sound signal to the amp that you will find in the boot.... you can get a premade plug and play addaptor..... again the vendors are mentioed in various posts
However it was the christmas break and no one was open, so I made my own.... the wiring lay out in the post is CORRECT and works a treat.....
if you get interferance ( buzzing / hissing ) over the radio... go to Halfords and get hold of adhesive backed alluminium tape and wrap any unsheilded joints with Ally tape and job should be a good un ......

SteveT

skye
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 18:58
Thanks - now need to either buy another headunit with preouts on the back or find a replacement volvo unit.
cheers

skye
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 20:33
I have a sony headunit with 2 pre out connections on the back will that work with the din plug convertor cable ?

pangster
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 20:52
I have a sony headunit with 2 pre out connections on the back will that work with the din plug convertor cable ?

yep - any headunit with pre-outs should work and will be less hassle than rewiring..

skye
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 22:58
Next dumb question - the amp convertor cable has 4 rca connections but there is only 2 pre outs on the back of head unit ?

Enigma666
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 23:04
There you will have a problem.

I am upgrading my SC-901 in the next (time permitting) week or so. Seems to work well enough, got a CD stuck in it atm cause it's a copy on the bloody 700mb disc (didn't read enough :( ) If the CD cartridge works ok then that would be an option for you too :)

pangster
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 00:07
Next dumb question - the amp convertor cable has 4 rca connections but there is only 2 pre outs on the back of head unit ?

you probably have 2 options.. either repair or replace your Volvo OEM headunit for another one or invest a little money in a decent after market headunit.. these are the only 2 solutions that will provide you with decent SQ.. hooking up a halfords special to the stock alpine amp and dynaudio speakers will not yield the best results..

HTH