PDA

View Full Version : Rubber elbow keeps blowing off!?

Gwaredd
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:33
Hi all, not posted for a while, been a bit busy. The other day, I did a sterling job of driving like a granny & got the T5 to do 32.7 mpg average, but boy it took a while to get around.

Anyway, after I got bored of doing that, I went out for a few high speed juants & the car was running great, however, shortly afterward when I went to take my brother home, I started the car & noticed that it was reving high.

A blip on the throttle brought things back to normal, but on the drive there & back, I noticed a distinct lack of power & when I stopped at juntions etc, the revs were high again. By high, I mean ticking over at around 950 rpm rising to 1100rpm & falling to 950. Slowly hunting.

Had a look over this weekend, & after about half an hour of pipe & elbow checking, I noticed a pipe was hanging off. I finally located where it was supposed to be connected & put it back on, started it up & it ran perfect.

The pipe in question was the one that pushes onto the inlet manifold, kind of behind the power steering pump/resovoir. Was a bit of a fiddle to get it back on, but on it went.

This morning, the pipe came off again (what a difference in power!) during a (ahem) high speed drive. What I want to know is:

1) Why does it keep coming off all of a sudden, it's a snug fit & it's a vaccuum pipe, so it should suck on, no?

2) Should it be held on by some sort of clip (i,e, jubilee) as it hasn't got one on at the moment.

All comments welcome.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Justin
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:57
Hi yes it should be held on with a clip, however its obviously been replaced at some point, i would suggest a cable tie, make sure the old clip has been removed from the manifold end though, they are hard to get off and someone may have been lazy and not done it.

Failing the a small jubilee clip if you can get one on it :)

nikgallagher
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:59
When I changed that elbow on my 850, the retaining clip was so tight it took almost 15 mins of swearing and grappling just to get it off. The new hose fitted on so snugly that it didn't bother putting the clip back on (it was a bit chewed up anyway). It hasn't fallen off yet after about 3 months (6k miles) so reckon something's up with yours. I had to use all my energy to get that little bugger on so maybe try pushing it a bit harder. Or renew it? You'd be lucky to get a jubilee round it where it is located. It was a fiddly enough job unclipping the old clasp with my 45 deg pliers.

Justin
Monday 9th May 2005, 14:03
No more nails on the end of the pipe lol :)

Gwaredd
Monday 9th May 2005, 14:07
All the elbows look like they've been replaced by the previous owner. I think I'll be going down the no-more-nails & cable tie route. Cheers guys.

Gwaredd.

Pedro Fandango
Monday 9th May 2005, 14:10
i've had to cable tie mine, came off once with them on but after pulling the ties really tight i've had no more bother

siamblue
Monday 9th May 2005, 15:50
Cable tie mine too, I wouldn't want to use no more nails on it though,As if it has to come off it is a right pain to chip away the stuff.

Gwaredd
Monday 9th May 2005, 16:20
Just finished cable tie-ing it on (not good on a hot engine) & been for a blast & all is fine.

Anyone know where that pipe goes & what it does, cos when it comes off, the performance drops massively, & the fuel consumption rockets!

Cheers for your help,

Gwaredd.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 23:14
Does this mean that you will be able to make my BBQ now without refilling?

splatt
Monday 9th May 2005, 23:21
if its an elbow connection it should not be under particularly high pressere...is ther s ome kind of physical restriction after it???
If it is designed to be a push fit then there should b no need to 'clamp it on'...just my thoughts...check the pipework...post a pic/description of the relevant bit,,,,

Gwaredd
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 08:41
It's fine now cheers Splatt. I thought something must be wrong if a vaccum pipe is blowing off, but then I thought about it for a bit, & with it being a 'blown' engine, the inlet manifold & that pipe would be under pressure accelerating, under vaccum at idle.

Plus these guys say it should have a clip on it, so I'm not one to argue. Bracer has a pic of the said elbow in a thread somewhere.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

rottertron
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 11:38
Belt and braces!!!

Ken
Saturday 21st May 2005, 15:29
Pretty sure it's one of the pipes that goes into the breather that pushes into the turbo inlet pipe from the air cleaner - down the bottom at the rear n/s.