PDA

View Full Version : oil leak please help

stevenb
Friday 26th December 2008, 19:52
i have a burning oil smell when i stop the car so i checked around the engine bay and when i removed the plastic spark plug cover there was a lot of oil and it looks like its runnung onto exhaust area the only problem is i dont know where its coming from.
I have replaced oil cap seal so any assistance would be gratefully accepted

Alan M
Friday 26th December 2008, 19:57
The breather hose to the upper engine cover from the PCV cannister leaks, have you checked that. Its the black hose that comes up under the spark plug cover. It may need replacing if it has gone brittle and hard. I forgot to add it may just need the original hose clip removing and replacing with a more suitable hose clamp.

stevenb
Friday 26th December 2008, 20:03
cheers alan i will have a look tomorrow. may even replace the pcv system if its not too hard a job

Jod T5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 00:23
i have a burning oil smell when i stop the car so i checked around the engine bay and when i removed the plastic spark plug cover there was a lot of oil and it looks like its runnung onto exhaust area the only problem is i dont know where its coming from.
I have replaced oil cap seal so any assistance would be gratefully accepted

Normally oil on top of the rocker cover is due to a worn filler cap o'ring...
The Pcv tank does have a pipe from the rocker cover but it is unlikely IMO oil will be seeping from here...
However an oily smell on stopping the car is a good sign of a leaking pipe from the catch tank to the PCV valve so you may have a couple of problems here...
Cheers
Jod

stainesy
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 08:32
my plastic pcv pipe has gone brital and snapped under the manifold. so at the mo it is venting to atmos there. i have blocked up the hole in the air pipe where it used to go. and i dont get any oil smell from mine venting where it is.