PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil smell

stevenb
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 21:38
can anyone help when i take my car on a long run or give it a hard drive there is a strong smell of burning oil like it is dripping onto hot exhaust but it only happens when i switch car off. The turbo oil return pipe seals are alegedly fine and pcv was also allegedly cleaned out and was ok so please help is thgere anything else to look at or are the problems with the above mentioned items. The car also used 1 litre of oil to do 220 miles.
The car is a 96 t5 estate manual with 132500 miles on clock and only mods are pipercross induction kit mbc set to 12psi and bailey dump valve

mexybhouy
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 21:52
have you checked under the black plastic cam cover to see if there's any oil lying on the camshaft covers, maybe a loose breather pipe???????????

stevenb
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 21:56
yes mate all pipes and seals were checked by a volvo mechanic and were said to be ok but he also replaced all discs calipers and pads but didnt bother to bleed system so not to trusting of his word so any help to narrow down possible causes would be helpful

t5 pete
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 22:00
cheack to see if one of the pipes arnt off from the pcv system also make sure the dip stick is fully down is there any oil on the ground where the car is stood

stevenb
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 22:04
no oil on ground dipstick in tight and all pcv pipes ok. I am at a loss as it did this for a while but only on long journeys and only very slight but this past 2 weeks smell very strong and apparent on shorter journeys and using a lot more oil

tandino
Thursday 25th December 2008, 10:11
Have you pulled the oil dipstick when the engine is running to see if its venting pressure?