PDA

View Full Version : New Suspension and Rica!

mikouk
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:26
Got the car back today from RT's. I had the suspension uprated with Koni shocks and eibach springs. Also had the Rica upgrade done.

Its like a different car. Because this is the first car I've had modded and I'm not exactly a mechanical Genius I wasn't sure what to expect, but....

MY GOD!!!! Its quick! I never thought the car would be able to move that fast. The handling is soooo much better. The ride obviously is harder but to be honest you only really notice it over speedbumps etc, on normal roads its fine. It now handles like it should and doesn't lean every time you slightly turn a bend.

But the speed is unbelievable. It's also great as it doesn't kick in at too lower revs so if you want to drive normally its fine, but when that 320d does start tailgating you just leave them for dust! I also had no wheelspin at all off from the lights.

To sum up, I'm very happy, and the day before my bday too! So thanks to all at RT and thanks to Russ for all his help and advice.

Here are some piccies.

t5 pete
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:44
the car looks well glad your happy

siamblue
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:57
What settings have you got the Konis set at?

well done Russ another satisfied customer,

Gary

mikouk
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 17:00
What settings have you got the Konis set at?

errrr, not sure, sorry. Russ will know!

thebadger
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 18:16
Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas!

Looks very tidy!

Just got mine back today... lowered!

Needs a wash before any pics go up! Usuall for this time of year!

mikouk
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 20:03
Just got mine back today... lowered!

Great, what setup did you go for? Are you happy with it?

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 21:26
Got the car back today from RT's. I had the suspension uprated with Koni shocks and eibach springs. Also had the Rica upgrade done.

Its like a different car. Because this is the first car I've had modded and I'm not exactly a mechanical Genius I wasn't sure what to expect, but....

MY GOD!!!! Its quick! I never thought the car would be able to move that fast. The handling is soooo much better. The ride obviously is harder but to be honest you only really notice it over speedbumps etc, on normal roads its fine. It now handles like it should and doesn't lean every time you slightly turn a bend.

But the speed is unbelievable. It's also great as it doesn't kick in at too lower revs so if you want to drive normally its fine, but when that 320d does start tailgating you just leave them for dust! I also had no wheelspin at all off from the lights.

To sum up, I'm very happy, and the day before my bday too! So thanks to all at RT and thanks to Russ for all his help and advice.

Here are some piccies.

Hi M

Am glad your happy thanks for the kind words :)

enjoy your car

Russ

Pedro
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 23:21
Would also love to know what set up you guys went with. Suspension needs doing on my 2001 (Y) V70 T5 and was looking for an idea as to what to go for.

Cheers

Peds

RT MECHANICS
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 09:51
Would also love to know what set up you guys went with. Suspension needs doing on my 2001 (Y) V70 T5 and was looking for an idea as to what to go for.

Cheers

Peds

Hi Peds

The Kit is the koni fsd and the springs are the eibach with all new mounts and we have also poly bushed the front wishbone arms :)

I hope this helps

Russ

woz
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 14:57
Hi Peds

The Kit is the koni fsd and the springs are the eibach with all new mounts and we have also poly bushed the front wishbone arms :)

I hope this helps

Russ

Thats what I did on my N Reg 855 - lurrvley. So much niucer than the standard set up great for every day use - great if you want to press on a bit.
Saved my lots on tyres - they always used to light up with the (tired) stock set up. Now they grip all the way.
W:>)

mikouk
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 16:18
It just feels a lot more planted. The car always had light steering at high speeds, but now it definitely feels more as though it can cope with the power.

The only problem now is the power is very addictive!

Next step new wheels!

Next xmas maybe.

abdul
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 16:46
how much did it cost

mikouk
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 18:21
how much did it cost

Tricky to say as I had so much done and I don't have the receipt with me at the mo.

Russ could tell you.

The whole lot came to 2k but thats with the RICA, all the suspension, labour and various other bits and bobs. I think its been worth every penny so thats the main thing.

I need to change insurance company though as my excess has gone up to £800! the insurance as a whole though has only gone up £100 to £400 a year which isn't bad I don't think.

Pedro
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 22:28
Hi Peds

I hope this helps

Russ

Perfect mate. Many thanks. Was looking at the Koni FSD (based on other threads), need to change the rear mounts anyway as I have Nivomats at the moment, but I think the front mounts / poly bushes may need to wait. Depends on the costs.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Peds

850twr
Friday 26th December 2008, 12:09
2k! jesus, glad i work on my own car :p

t5 pete
Friday 26th December 2008, 20:49

Me too

timbo_1975
Friday 26th December 2008, 21:20
I am glad you have had such a great result on your P2- it's nice to know how they can be made to handle like they should have done from the factory, with relative ease.

If you ask many a police driver, they will always say the P1's were nicer and more responsive to drive than the P2's but now those who are trading up to P2's can enjoy a decent handling package despite the extra weight.

The p3's or latest v70's which afew forces have in small numbers handle- or rather don't- like a double decker bus compared to the original P1, and are far from quick, even in T6 guise.

Progress :(

Tim

jardon
Monday 29th December 2008, 12:30

Sounds about right to me and when I had the same done earlier this year there were no lower quotes than Russells. It's not a quick job to dismantle/fit/set up the suspension and polybushing is a difficult task for the lay person (me). Add to that the fact that Russells team do a good job and you're quids in. Go for the IPD bars as well Mikouk!

mikouk
Monday 29th December 2008, 15:55
Go for the IPD bars as well

Thanks, I'm not sure I'd be able to get that past the 'management' as well at the moment, I've just spent xmas justifying the amount I have spent!

How much would I be looking at though out of interest? Also does it effect the ride anymore? Its probably at the limit of what I can put up with now.

The next things I was thinking were the wheels and exhaust. I would like a twin setup if thats possible on a P2 V70?

Thanks
Mark

AndysR
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 10:47
Looking very nice car is sitting well :) Know what you mean about getting addicted to the power!