PDA

View Full Version : Oily pipe

Loz1
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 14:31
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what this pipe is. The appears to be a fair amount of oil on the pipe, should i be worried????
As an additional note, there isn't any oil on the driveway (been stood for a week)

Cheers

BruceT
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 15:31
Its the hose that goes from the bottom of the intercooler, over the engine and then to the top of the turbo.

Take the jubilee off and have a look inside...

ajc106
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 15:31
thats one of the turbo intercooler pipes

Loz1
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 15:47
Its the hose that goes from the bottom of the intercooler, over the engine and then to the top of the turbo.

Take the jubilee off and have a look inside...

Might sound a daft question, but is there any liquid/fluid supposed to be inside before i take it off, or just air???

Niles
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:07
just air mate, the intercooler piping has a habit of getting a little oil in it in 99% of T5's.

Loz1
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:16
just air mate, the intercooler piping has a habit of getting a little oil in it in 99% of T5's.

Cheers

BruceT
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:26
Yeh, its probably just blow-by.

PCV getting clogged?

Id take the pipe apart and clean and it all up and then check in a months time.

Loz1
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:37
Yeh, its probably just blow-by.

PCV getting clogged?

Id take the pipe apart and clean and it all up and then check in a months time.

PCV????? (excuse my ignorance)

stainesy
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 17:43
mate have you got 2 cold air feeds?

Loz1
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 18:05
Stainesy,

Yep, two cold air feed. Came with the K&N induction kit

stainesy
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 18:13
Stainesy,

Yep, two cold air feed. Came with the K&N induction kit

what K&N kit you got and where in the front of the car can you fit 2 cold air pipes from?

Loz1
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 19:04
what K&N kit you got and where in the front of the car can you fit 2 cold air pipes from?

K&N 57i induction kit. Pipework comes up from bottom spoiler grill next to fog light with 4" gap from cone filter

stainesy
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 21:26
K&N 57i induction kit. Pipework comes up from bottom spoiler grill next to fog light with 4" gap from cone filter

hhhhhhmmmmmm interesteing.

have you got any pics mate. would be interested to see that set up. been thinking of improving my cold air feed

mexybhouy
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 04:18
positive crankcase ventilation! PCV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loz1
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 07:08

have you got any pics mate. would be interested to see that set up. been thinking of improving my cold air feed

cleaning the turbo intercooler pipe and PCV later today, will post piccy's of the k&n setup then

stainesy
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 08:19
cleaning the turbo intercooler pipe and PCV later today, will post piccy's of the k&n setup then

ok mate nice1 cheers

Loz1
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 12:05
ok mate nice1 cheers

As promised, the routed pipework. Not very good pictures but i think you'll get it

Cleaned the pipework (evidence of oil as was suggested by the forum...thanks again)
Decided to have a look at the throttle housing (since pipework was off) to discover the butterfly flap (valve) caked in vanish/sticky deposits and carbon. sprayed that with carb cleaner now good as new (closes properly now). Also changed the dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads (all were supposed to be done by last owner (think all he had done was clean to leads and dizzy cap because the plugs were coked up, leads brittle and rotor arm was pitted). Still all done now and runs a dream

Big Pete
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 15:11

Here is photo's of my BSR Optiflow kit I have on my 850R, just to give you a photo of another kit you can buy. It costs about £85 and it has the heat surround to stop hot air being sucked up through the air filter from the engine, and uses the original Volvo cold air pipe to flow cold air from the front to below the filter.

I bought this because BSR are Swedish and I believe their performance products are generally very good.

stainesy
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 15:50
Here is photo's of my BSR Optiflow kit I have on my 850R, just to give you a photo of another kit you can buy. It costs about £85 and it has the heat surround to stop hot air being sucked up through the air filter from the engine, and uses the original Volvo cold air pipe to flow cold air from the front to below the filter.

I bought this because BSR are Swedish and I believe their performance products are generally very good.

cheers mate im gona stick with myK&N panel filter as i like a sealed system. was interested in making a better cold air feed the the box tho

Big Pete
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 17:01
cheers mate im gona stick with myK&N panel filter as i like a sealed system. was interested in making a better cold air feed the the box tho

No problemo!

I watched the video on the IPD website of their version of the BSR kit and it was quite interesting to watch. So this made me go for the BSR kit because they are easily available over here. Plus you get a huge induction noise increase which along with the dump valve sounds awesome.

t5 pete
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 17:44
where abouts did you get it from pete

Big Pete
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 17:49
I got it from http://www.nordiccar.com (www.nordiccar.com) who are the UK distributor for BSR, the BSR part number for the 850 Optiflow kit I got is "4900701". I just phoned them and said what is the cheapest price you can do!

850twr
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 22:06
cant beat the noise of the internal wastegate through a cone filter on a t5 :D

Jod T5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 00:04
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what this pipe is. The appears to be a fair amount of oil on the pipe, should i be worried????
As an additional note, there isn't any oil on the driveway (been stood for a week)

Cheers
Any oil in your charge pipe will be coming either from your turbo or the PCV system, which drops oil into the inlet ducting just before your turbo...
A little oil is normal and part of the running procedure...
high crankcase pressure is not good and can lead to Rear main Seal leakage....With the car at idle place your palm over the open oil filler cap...Any blow back other than a light pulse should be considered a issue...
Cheers
Jod