PDA

View Full Version : turbo actuator

nathT5
Monday 22nd December 2008, 20:14
if the above item was playing up what problems would happen to the running?
also how do you know if its been altered to cope with higher boost and how do you alter it?
how much are new ones and where from??

many thanks in advance...

Loadsamiles
Monday 22nd December 2008, 20:16
Mine lost it's pre-load. When at rest the actuator just sat with no force over the closed wastegate. The cause was the spring loosing it's springyness due to thermal stress.

Another fault is a punctured pneumatic system which prevents it opening the wastegate (dangerous on pre-ME7)

t5 pete
Monday 22nd December 2008, 20:22
Another fault is a punctured pneumatic system which prevents it opening the wastegate (dangerous on pre-ME7)

If it was to prevent the waste gate from opening would that mean a bov would not dump also i you would please can you simplyfiy the pneumatic system (what it is and where it is located please)

Jod T5
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 18:43
If it was to prevent the waste gate from opening would that mean a bov would not dump also i you would please can you simplyfiy the pneumatic system (what it is and where it is located please)

If the manifold pressure was increased, as it would be from a jammed wastegate it would in turn add more pressure to you BOV or Recirc Valve keeping it shut....

He is referring to your actuator itself failing and in turn failing to bleed the boost from the turbo.....

Cheers
Jod

t5 pete
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 19:03
If the manifold pressure was increased, as it would be from a jammed wastegate it would in turn add more pressure to you BOV or Recirc Valve keeping it shut....

He is referring to your actuator itself failing and in turn failing to bleed the boost from the turbo.....

Cheers
Jod

Cheers jod i have just noticed on your write up on the mods youve done and have noticed you have adjusted your actuator its a area im unsure about if you wouldnt mind teling my why you have done it and what benifits you get from doing it also what is it adjusted to
cheers pete

Jod T5
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 00:38
Cheers jod i have just noticed on your write up on the mods youve done and have noticed you have adjusted your actuator its a area im unsure about if you wouldnt mind teling my why you have done it and what benifits you get from doing it also what is it adjusted to
cheers pete

Hi Pete,
I have adjusted my actuator a couple (or a couple more) half turns....
This allows a stronger spring against the turbo flap giving a higher boost level..IE the actuator is slower to open.....
However the stronger the spring the more likely you are to use up your boost too early, causing spiking, (bend rods) or cut the ignition if not set correctly....
If you are going to mess around with your stock settings it is important to realize that the fueling input need to be upgraded too...
Its all very well running 15PSi on a stock map but eventually your lean fueling will get the better of your engine.....
Most people say first engine mod is a boost gauge, a AFR meter is a far better start followed by a FSE fuel pressure regulator....A boost gauge is a good idea however the stock gauge is accurate, if undecipherable.....!!
Cheers
Jod