PDA

View Full Version : sump plug washer

stainesy
Monday 22nd December 2008, 16:35
hello peeps im changing my oil and filter wednesday. iv got all the stuff i need apart from a new sump plug washer.

anybody no what size i need?

Rufe
Monday 22nd December 2008, 17:05
part number is 977751 and its probably a dealer only part to get the correct one mate.

I've just got one to measure for you:

24mm total diameter
2mm width of the metal (22mm 'hole' if you get me)
1mm Thickness
Material: Aluminium

(by no mean accurate, just me with a ruler lol, but should help)

stainesy
Monday 22nd December 2008, 17:09
part number is 977751 and its probably a dealer only part to get the correct one mate.

oh your joking. its just a copper washer aint it?

stainesy
Monday 22nd December 2008, 19:21
so whats special about the volvo copper washer that i cant just get a normal copper washer in the right size?

iGGy
Monday 22nd December 2008, 22:15
The 'official' ones are Aluminium. I'm sure a copper one will do as I can't see any reason why you must use an Aluminium one. I've had cars with both types of washers used on aluminium sumps.

I've always ordered both filter and washer together, so I've never had to try it.

stainesy
Monday 22nd December 2008, 22:22
The 'official' ones are Aluminium. I'm sure a copper one will do as I can't see any reason why you must use an Aluminium one. I've had cars with both types of washers used on aluminium sumps.

I've always ordered both filter and washer together, so I've never had to try it.

isnt it posible to use the oldone if i dont damage it taking it offf?

t5 pete
Monday 22nd December 2008, 22:24
isnt it posible to use the oldone if i dont damage it taking it offf?

After loads of oil changes in 5 yrs ive never changed myne and never had any problems if i remember correctly i think the washer is angled so just remember not to over tighten

stainesy
Monday 22nd December 2008, 22:32
After loads of oil changes in 5 yrs ive never changed myne and never had any problems if i remember correctly i think the washer is angled so just remember not to over tighten

well if volvo isnt open xmas eve i will just buy a coper one incase the old one isnt any good. what size is the washer?

850twr
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 01:50
mate, rufes reply answers that, 2nd down. lol!

and sump plug is 17mm, just to let you know.

volvokid
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 05:02
well if volvo isnt open xmas eve i will just buy a coper one incase the old one isnt any good. what size is the washer?

Stainesy stop being so tight and just order the part as described by Rufe lol :wavey:

volvokid
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 05:02
mate, rufes reply answers that, 2nd down. Lol!

And sump plug is 17mm, just to let you know.

rofl

stainesy
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 06:29
Stainesy stop being so tight and just order the part as described by Rufe lol :wavey:

and that part will reach my by tomorow then will it?

Rufe
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 09:52
you may be ok to use the old one if you cant get one, i know the police workshop round here tend to reuse these washers a couple of times before replacing, though we allways fit new ones every time, it saves potential hassle down the line.

stainsey i dont know if you saw my second post above or not, but that gave you sizes from one i measured. hope that helps

Simon :)

y2blade
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 10:16
so whats special about the volvo copper washer that i cant just get a normal copper washer in the right size?

ive always used copper washers from my local auto factors

volvokid
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 12:13
and that part will reach my by tomorow then will it?

Rufe is very good and if you told him to order the part yesterday i'm sure you would have had a speedy delivery.

850twr
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 15:43
yea i'm sure rufe is, however royal mail arn't the best people to rely on this time of year.

jez.w
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 16:22
As long as the washer comes off complete re use it this time, and replace it next time.

dooby
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 23:14
Hiya,

here's a shot of a used crush washer (I changed my oil today):

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/DOO13Y/Photo20003sm.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/DOO13Y/Photo20004sm.jpg

You may be able to just make out the crush mark in the metal, one side from the sump and one from the bolt.

You can imagine, as you tighten the bolt to 35Nm it gently squeezes the crush washer. If you really had to re-use one you probably could but I'd expect a slow drip to form at the sump bolt. Do *NOT* be tempted to tighten it beyond 35Nm, with a steel bolt and an alloy sump you would run the risk of stripping the thread in the sump.

If you do re-use, I'd be tempted to re-fit a new one (without dropping the oil) ASAP.

Round my way I tried many places to find an aluminium washer of the right size and couldn't - I ended up going to my local Volvo dealer.

HTH, Pete

850twr
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 00:07
my master tech always told me to set them to 40nm

dooby
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 01:47
my master tech always told me to set them to 40nm

Hiya,

I'm only going from Haynes so it may well be your info is different :-)

Cheers, Pete

Rufe
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 10:07
our info does state 35Nm

jez.w
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 10:19
Just do this, but if you are really worried about tightening the sump plug and reusing the washer i will do it for you. You are only 15 minutes from me Stainsey. The whole job is easier if you have some ramps, use wooden planks to get car up ramp without hitting bottom of front bumper.

1) Just run up engine so its warm (not hot), remove sump plug (size 17), catch oil.
2) Remove oil filter (should be hand tight) and catch oil.
3) Refit new oil filter by hand (tight as poss) with a smear of oil around rubber ring, refit sump plug and washer (reuse ok washer if necessary). If you dont have a torque wrench then nip up sump plug and then tighten it just a bit more (not too tight). Its not difficult to judge, and i dont think many people bother to use a torque wrench for a sump plug.
4) Fill up with roughly 5L or so of good 10w40 semi synthetic oil.
5) When your happy with the oil level start car (dont rev it as it will take a second for the oil to get around the engine). Start engine and while its running check around filter and sump plug for leaks using a torch and clean cloth.
6) Turn off engine.
7) Let engine stand for a few minutes and recheck level on dip stick (car level) as the new empty oil filter will have filled up causing the oil level to drop. Fill to max on stick, try and tighten the oil filter a bit more by hand.
8) Take it for drive.
9) Keep checking the dip stick over the next week or so.

Cheers

stainesy
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 12:56
its ok i no how to do an oil change. just went to do it and gess what. my luck strikes again. jacked the car up, put it on axle stands went to undo the sump plug then realised that what ever £££££ changed the oil last time has totaly rounded off the sump plug. couldnt even get a spanner to grip it. so now i have to get a new sump plug before i can change my oil. have also noticed oil leaking from the sump plug witch tell me who ever changed the oil last just done the plug up with force and rounded it off and buggered the washer.

GREAT

y2blade
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 13:11
its ok i no how to do an oil change. just went to do it and gess what. my luck strikes again. jacked the car up, put it on axle stands went to undo the sump plug then realised that what ever £££££ changed the oil last time has totaly rounded off the sump plug. couldnt even get a spanner to grip it. so now i have to get a new sump plug before i can change my oil. have also noticed oil leaking from the sump plug witch tell me who ever changed the oil last just done the plug up with force and rounded it off and buggered the washer.

GREAT

bugger it :(

Okete
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 13:30
I think i't already buggered!

jez.w
Saturday 27th December 2008, 19:38

GREATWhen did the oil last get changed, and who did it last time? It would need to be done up very tight to round off. Try fileing the dodgy edges of the sump plug, tidy the plug faces up to make the socket or spanner fit, a good socket should work best as they have more points of contact than a spanner. If all else fails use molegrips or big grips to get it out. I hope its not leaking because the thread in the sumps gone. Get a new washer and sump plug and go from there. Let me know if you need a hand mate. I would hate you to loose all your oil and seize the engine.

stainesy
Saturday 27th December 2008, 20:39
When did the oil last get changed, and who did it last time? It would need to be done up very tight to round off. Try fileing the dodgy edges of the sump plug, tidy the plug faces up to make the socket or spanner fit, a good socket should work best as they have more points of contact than a spanner. If all else fails use molegrips or big grips to get it out. I hope its not leaking because the thread in the sumps gone. Get a new washer and sump plug and go from there. Let me know if you need a hand mate. I would hate you to loose all your oil and seize the engine.

cheers mate yeah i have a tool to get it out. just waiting till wednesday when i get payed till i go buy new plug and washer.

stainesy
Friday 2nd January 2009, 15:55
went to volvo today and got a new sump plug and washer.
just changed the oil and filter. must have been a long time since it was last changed as the old filter looked like it was starting to rust. feel alot better now i have that done.

LeeT5
Sunday 29th March 2009, 17:21
Hiya,

here's a shot of a used crush washer (I changed my oil today):

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/DOO13Y/Photo20003sm.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/DOO13Y/Photo20004sm.jpg

You may be able to just make out the crush mark in the metal, one side from the sump and one from the bolt.

That's not a crush washer. It's a normal alloy washer. Crush washers are made of light steel and are oval shaped (cross section) and on one side you can blatantly see the rubber 'O' ring inside the washer. These were porvided on the early 850's but i think they changed over to the alloy type as they are stronger and less likely to leak. Either way, you only use them once.