PDA

View Full Version : induction kits bsr exhaust

ikp_77
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:18
hi all any one on here got a bmc induction kit and what do you think of it and bsr exhaust from cat back are these items any good thanks out there

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:22
is the induction kit open or closed if its open i wouldnt bother and i take it the bsr exhausts is s/s they are all good due to never having to replace one but for around £300 you can have a custom cat back one made

ikp_77
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:17
no its enclosed induction kit i have tryed a k and n cone on did'nt do much for me so was looking at the bmc induction kits £189

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:24
to be truthfull its alot of monet to spend of a filter which you wont get a lot or any difference from i would stich with a perfomance panel filter for around £40 which give you some more money to spend on something else

p fandango
Monday 22nd December 2008, 06:46
is the induction kit open or closed if its open i wouldnt bother
as i mentioned in the other thread i've never noticed any difference between open or sealed. I've used a K&N 57i (£100 open), Pipercross foam cone (£60), Pipercross Viper (£300 used both open & sealed) & the only difference i noticed between any of the 4 different set-ups was how the K&N strangled the revs. Even on the 1/4 mile (were your sat in the fire-up lane getting hot air in the engine bay) the hot air intakes never shown any time loss

i know the theory but not sure if the difference on the road is worth bothering about. Whether my filters being in a better air flow, or the bonnet being vented clears the hot air out the way almost instantly i don't know

just telling you my experiences :kiss:

volvokid
Monday 22nd December 2008, 07:10
I agree with you there I have been in a few cars with induction kits and have never felt any difference, I cant use hard evidence like a ¼ mile time or a dyno run, this is just going by feel they must add some H/P but not enough for me to notice. I love the sound of an induction kit and I think that’s were allot of people get the feeling there going faster simply because of the note they give off. I’m not saying don’t waste your money cuz I’m about to buy the IPD short ram filter and that’s not the cheapest of things, the car has a K&N panel filter installed just now and I notice nothing from it.

As for the exhaust the BSR setup is what I’m going for. I have had custom powerflows on my old golf and old V40 I had no complaints I just fancy a change and Chads BSR sounded nice not to noise it had a Volvo feel to it lol.

Terminator
Monday 22nd December 2008, 10:47
I replaced my stock panel filter with a K&N panel filter (£35 from ECP) and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. I thought I would try this first as an inexpensive option before considering upgrading to a full closed induction system such as BMC. I think the standard air box does a pretty good job of insulating the intake from the heat of the engine compartment, so have now decided to leave it as is.

p fandango
Monday 22nd December 2008, 12:04
I think the standard air box does a pretty good job of insulating the intake from the heat of the engine compartment, so have now decided to leave it as is.
while i agree the stock system isn't exactly bad, it can be improved. On my last dyno run BT measured 25bhp more than stock (& with 140k miles now on the clock). Whilst this isn't solely down to just the filter is it down to "breathing" mods (in & out). I'm expecting atleast another 10bhp more with the mods i've done since. Just for info i'm still running a stock ecu, injectors & 10psi boost so the increase can't be put down to any of them

RWYB times (http://www.covcrew.co.uk/volvo-850-t5/misc/racing/pod_pics/RWYB_times_santa.htm)

as you can see from my times the fastest was done with an open filter, compared to a sealed filterless cold feed pipe which i normally use