PDA

View Full Version : Catch tank

stainesy
Sunday 21st December 2008, 18:32
been looking at catch tanks on ebay.
what the benafit of a catch tank?

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 18:41
The standard breather system recirculates the crankcase oil vapors into the air intake, this lowers the effective octane of the fuel and as we all know that is bad. However this setup is supposed to be better for the environment, ( don't know about you but i prefer power to helping the green party)
By fitting a catch tank you pass the crankcase vapors into the newly fitted catch can where they mostly condense and pool in the can, with the rest of the vapor being let out to atmosphere. Keeping the effective octane as high as possible and keeping everything cleaner and nicer.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong anywhere about this, i dont think i am but just in case i remembered the theory wrongly.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 19:10
I have just been looking at them and do you need the filter as some doesnt come with them

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 19:18
Also has any one fitted it to there volvo

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 19:25
Also has any one fitted it to there volvo
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/dccc8727c0.jpg

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 19:30
brilliant thankyou where does the white pipe lead to

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 19:35
brilliant thankyou where does the white pipe lead to
the white pipe is just left open under the gearbox, you still a smell of oil when sitting in traffic tho

stainesy
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:31
oh right so the pipe that normaly goes to the pipe between the air box and the turbo goes to the tank and another pipe coming out the tank to under the the car and thats it?

actuly that pipe that raps round the engine and goes to the air pipe just before the turbo. could that just be re directed down under the car and i blank off the hiole left in air pipe to turbo?

as the pipe on mine seems to short and is constantly pulling the rubber seal from the air pipe.

Volvostorm
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:33
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/dccc8727c0.jpg

Is that a 'home made' reverse IC pipe?

Looks good either way! :cool:

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:38
Is that a 'home made' reverse IC pipe?

Looks good either way! :cool:
thanks, i'd got the reverse IC as standard but wanted it done in 3" pipe instead so made my own up

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:39
oh right so the pipe that normaly goes to the pipe between the air box and the turbo goes to the tank and another pipe coming out the tank to under the the car and thats it?
yep

actuly that pipe that raps round the engine and goes to the air pipe just before the turbo. could that just be re directed down under the car and i blank off the hiole left in air pipe to turbo?
you won't want to do that with the amount of gunk it kicks out

stainesy
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:41
yep

you won't want to do that with the amount of gunk it kicks out

oh right im going to get me a catch tank now. cheers.

Volvostorm
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:43
thanks, i'd got the reverse IC as standard but wanted it done in 3" pipe instead so made my own up

Cheers for that, I might have to look into making one up :)

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:44
oh right im going to get me a catch tank now. cheers.
you want 19mm outlets on the tank, altho i've used 15mm outlets & just secured the pipe with a jubilee clip

Volvostorm
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:48
And remember to empty it once in a while! ;):P

BruceT
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:02
Think ill get myself a catch tank instead of replacing the pcv.

Keep me posted stainsy how you do!

stainesy
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:02
And remember to empty it once in a while! ;):P

LOL yeah the ones iv been looking at have a glass tube on the side to show how full it is.

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:04
Yep, all those replies sum it up nicely. Its a well worthwhile mod, although i have 1 question. The std breather connects to the little soleniod valve thing on the air intake, what is that valve, what does it do and what is the little vac pipe on it for??

And those RIP pipes are lovely. Where did you get the ally pipe and silicone joiners from???

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:09
Yep, all those replies sum it up nicely. Its a well worthwhile mod, although i have 1 question. The std breather connects to the little soleniod valve thing on the air intake, what is that valve, what does it do and what is the little vac pipe on it for??
its a little heater element, you don't need it. The small pipe is a breather for the vac tree

And those RIP pipes are lovely. Where did you get the ally pipe and silicone joiners from???
the stainless steel was from Custom Chrome in Nuneaton & got the joints from ebay

BruceT
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:09
Which ones you looking at Stainsy?

stainesy
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:18
Which ones you looking at Stainsy?

i was looking at this one mate
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370072335486

so basicly i get a catch tank, put the pipe from the air pipe to it,
another pipe coming from the tank going out under the car.
what do i do with the tiny hard plastic pipe going to the air pipe?

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:20
could you run the pipe to the catch tank then a pipe from the tank to the air intet where it is originally stiuated to stop the oiley smells or would it be better to get the catch tank in the pic also i think there is two pipes leading to the air inlet pipe isnt there do they both come from the pcv
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALUMINIUM-OIL-CATCH-TANK-WITH-TOP-BREATHER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ220332332682QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2203323326 82&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:24
The whole idea behind the catch tank is not to plumb it back into the intake as the oil vapors lower the effective octane of the fuel. Better to run from the crankcase to the catch can, then from to catch can to atmosphere via a small breather filter if you want to minimise the oil smell, or you can just run the outlet pipe under the car and ignore the oil smell.

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:24
could you run the pipe to the catch tank then a pipe from the tank to the air intet where it is originally stiuated to stop the oiley smells or would it be better to get the catch tank in the pic also i think there is two pipes leading to the air inlet pipe isnt there do they both come from the pcv
i think you'll find on yours the little pipe comes from the inlet manifold, mine was plumbed different & had that pipe going to the vac tree, then another going to the air inlet). I've just removed it, but as i say mine was different anyway

stainesy
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:29
on mine i have the big pipe then a smaller one coming from the vac tree that sucks air. and i tiny white plastic pipe. the vac pipe on mine is constantly hissing as i can not get a good seal on it no matter what i do and the big pipe is constanly pulling the hole rubber bung out of the air pipe as its at a stupid angle.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:32
i think you'll find on yours the little pipe comes from the inlet manifold, mine was plumbed different & had that pipe going to the vac tree, then another going to the air inlet). I've just removed it, but as i say mine was different anyway

Now you said that i do remember it does come from the inlet manifold i geuss i should just leave it where it is also did you blank the opening off where the pipe originally went

850twr
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:33
Great info guys, didn't realise the stock system compromises all that lovely v-power fuel i use, lol! sounds a well worth while investment.

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:37
Now you said that i do remember it does come from the inlet manifold i geuss i should just leave it where it is also did you blank the opening off where the pipe originally went
i made up a new larger intake pipe while i was doing the larger reverse flow so haven't got any openings. You don't want air escaping from anywhere, you should block all pipes off you remove

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/95d3803546.jpg
top pipe is the intake, the collar is for the MAF sensor. The bottom pipe is the reverse flow pipe from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle body (for those interested)

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:39
If one of your vac pipes is hissing stainsey i wouldnt drive it till i got that sealed, it will be causing the motor to run lean by letting in unmetered air.

One other question. The oil separation tank under the inlet manifold, can this be removed when the catch can is fitted.... i would have thought you could remove it, but is it recommended?

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:39
Ive just had a brain storm i mite be wrong tho but is the tank better being fitted the same level as the pcv or lower due to all the **** having to travel upwards if the taank is higher if the tank is lower than the pcv wouldnt its make it easier to flow

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:41
That is a very ver nice setup you have there, my mind is made up on what i am going to do. i just want all the silicone black and all the pipes powder coated black to match. its a bitch of a job to keep everything shiny.

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:44
One other question. The oil separation tank under the inlet manifold, can this be removed when the catch can is fitted.... i would have thought you could remove it, but is it recommended?
not that i know of, it has other pipes venting to it so think its best to keep it in place

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:47
i made up a new larger intake pipe while i was doing the larger reverse flow so haven't got any openings. You don't want air escaping from anywhere, you should block all pipes off you remove

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/95d3803546.jpg
top pipe is the intake, the collar is for the MAF sensor. The bottom pipe is the reverse flow pipe from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle body (for those interested)

That is one hell of a set up you have done, how did you manage to secure the MAF sensor into the round opening or did you use long screws that screws into the main piping i am really considering making one now the only thing that would put me off its the open filter do you think it makes any difference from a closed filter
cheers pete

BruceT
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:50
P Fandango, your pics are not working for me.

I think who ever does should take pics so we can all follow and give constructive critism with pictures so we all know/see what each other mean.

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:52
Keep the filter sealed from the engine bay hot air. It WILL be making a difference. Although a decent cone filter that flows enough for the motor at peak boost and RPM when sealed from the hot air in the engine bay will out perform the panel filter, it may shift the torque up the RPM range slightly making the car feel more sluggish low down.

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:53
Ill be gettin my catch can from my mums over xmas so i can do a how to shortly after, and i also have to do my RIP setup so i can do that one too. but that will be as funds allow after xmas.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:54
P Fandango, your pics are not working for me.

I think who ever does should take pics so we can all follow and give constructive critism with pictures so we all know/see what each other mean.

I dont under stand what you mean the top piping in the pic is for the air flow the bottom pipe just desgard it its for the i/c piping i think this pic is very good and help full and has also gave me other ideas on what to do

BruceT
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:56
Not working as in, it doesnt display a picture - just a link to some hosting website mate

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:56
That is one hell of a set up you have done, how did you manage to secure the MAF sensor into the round opening or did you use long screws that screws into the main piping
i was going to get an machine shop to make a flange the same as the MAF that could be welded onto the (40mm diameter) collar, in the end i just siliconed the sensor in

i am really considering making one now the only thing that would put me off its the open filter do you think it makes any difference from a closed filter
cheers pete
i've never noticed any difference between open or sealed

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 21:59
Not working as in, it doesnt display a picture - just a link to some hosting website mate

OHHHHHHHHH i get what you mean it seem to be working for every one else i havent got a clue why it isnt for you

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:03
Ah i see what you have done with the sensor.......thats nice, disregarded the MAF body and just kept the sensor. Could you not have pressed the sensor into a nylon adapter and then thread the outside of the adapter and screw it into a T-Pipe like you have in the pic. instead of siliconing it in?
Would be a nice finishing touch.

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:05
Ah i see what you have done with the sensor.......thats nice, disregarded the MAF body and just kept the sensor. Could you not have pressed the sensor into a nylon adapter and then thread the outside of the adapter and screw it into a T-Pipe like you have in the pic. instead of siliconing it in?
Would be a nice finishing touch.
yeh that would of worked, say i was going to get a flange made but as it works as it is i just haven't been bothered to change it

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:08
Lol fair play mate

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:38
p fandango do you or did you have nitrous on your car i bet that made a difference also stainsey did you but that catch tank and where you going to mount it

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:51
p fandango do you or did you have nitrous on your car i bet that made a difference
http://www.covcrew.co.uk/volvo-850-t5/archive/exterior/archive66.jpg
i did but never actually used it on the engine, just on the purge kit for show (never got round to finishing the wiring on the engine side of it)

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:56
I have a wet nitrous kit lying around with a Zex purge kit, and a 20lb bottle! was going to use it on my project mini as it seems like a waste on the volvo tbh.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:56
lol i bet them to women behind the car in the pic woundered what the hell was going on

p fandango
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:00
I have a wet nitrous kit lying around with a Zex purge kit, and a 20lb bottle! was going to use it on my project mini as it seems like a waste on the volvo tbh.
it was a 20lb bottle i had, it's on the list again but probably only use it to spray over the intercooler & cool it

http://www.covcrew.co.uk/volvo-850-t5/archive/boot/boot7.jpg

BruceT
Monday 22nd December 2008, 23:07
P Fandango, you should suppy the forums with your RIP kits mate!

I left my dipstick out this evening and drove for about 2 hours, 1 hour at in traffic and 1 hour driving lol. Ahh the smell off oil and blue smoke on idle from the exhaust lol

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 05:12
P Fandango, you should suppy the forums with your RIP kits mate!
PM me with any information you need & i'll gladly help, i the haven't time or resources to make them unfortunatly

dangerstevie
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 09:45
When i manage to get the bits together for my RIP kit, i am also doing the intake pipework, so once done ill see what the bill of materials comes to and see if its worth doing considering the prices of the existing kits.

I dont think it will come to any more than £100 for the materials. I also know a local silicone hose manufacturer so i was thinking about contacting them to see if they can do the RIP kit in silicone if i can get them a kit to model from.

All in the pipeline, will be end of jan before any progress tho.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 19:53
I could well be interested in that mate :)

BruceT
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 22:16
Me too, I fancy a RIP kit

dooby
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 23:27
Hiya,

I took some photos of what my catch tank collected:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/DOO13Y/Photo027sm.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/DOO13Y/Photo028sm.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/DOO13Y/Photo029sm.jpg

In the last photo, the dark brown at the bottom is (I assume) stained water, the light brown above is (what I assume is) an oil/water emulsion.

HTH, Pete

BruceT
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 08:37
Cant see the pictures in work dooby but once im home ill have a good luck and have a go at this myself as my PCV is blocked/Clogged and have a 500 mile trip so dont wanna be running on increased pressure of the crank case so may just vent to air temporarily...?

The two pipes which you remove, what do you do with the the black box which they connect to on the plastic pipe which goes from the airbox to turbo?

BruceT
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 14:30
Great pics.

Ive just disconnected mine.

I didnt relealise that by removing the plastic block would leave a big gaping hole in the plastic intake pipe. I have nicely gaffered taped over this. Ive also pulled the larger pipe and smaller one down to the front of the engine.

Is the smaller one suppose to suck when the engine is running and does it bunging up?

dooby
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 16:23
Cant see the pictures in work dooby but once im home ill have a good luck and have a go at this myself as my PCV is blocked/Clogged and have a 500 mile trip so dont wanna be running on increased pressure of the crank case so may just vent to air temporarily...?

The two pipes which you remove, what do you do with the the black box which they connect to on the plastic pipe which goes from the airbox to turbo?

Hiya,

there's 2 pipes which come from under the intake manifold round the block under the distributor to the turbo intake pipe, a thin bore one (4mm or so) and a large bore one (15mm I think).

To fit my catch tank I disconnected the large bore pipe and carefully removed the rubber elbow. This left me 2 ends - the pipe from the block and the stub on the intake pipe. I connected these two to my catch tank. This means my system is closed, the catch tank just filters out more of the rubbish than the PCV system's oil separator under the intake manifold manages to.

If you wanted to run to atmosphere I think you'd need to block off the 15mm stub on the intake pipe (otherwise there's unmetered air coming in the MAF hasn't "counted") and leave the 15mm hose coming round the block to vent to atmosphere. I'm not sure it's a great idea but if you try it, you probably want to extend the pipe far down in the engine bay given the crud that seems to come out ;-)

HTH, Pete

dooby
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 16:31
Great pics.

Ive just disconnected mine.

I didnt relealise that by removing the plastic block would leave a big gaping hole in the plastic intake pipe. I have nicely gaffered taped over this. Ive also pulled the larger pipe and smaller one down to the front of the engine.

Is the smaller one suppose to suck when the engine is running and does it bunging up?

Hiya,

I think the plastic block is some sort of heater from what I read, it tries to only enable the PCV over 80 degrees centigrade or something.

I think the smaller pipe is supposed to have vacuum at idle - this is what would pull the PCV gases when the engine is idling and the vacuum from the turbo intake is small/non-existent. You probably want to block the small bore pipe off by the sounds of the way you've done it - it will be a small boost leak under throttle. The large bore pipe you can just vent to atmosphere and as you say move to the front of the engine :-)

You will probably notice an oily smell as you pull away from idling - I think this is because the oily gas accumulates when idling (as you've removed the vacuum system) and when you pull away the blow-by of the piston rings creates enough crankcase pressure to clear out the gas accumulated while idling.

HTH, Pete

BruceT
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 16:41
Cheers Pete,

I think both of the pipes may have "cracked" inside the larger rubber housing under the inlet manifold.

Just to confirm, I should block off the smaller one which is sucking on idle?

The plastic block has a small pin on it which the smaller (the one which is sucking) hose slides over and the larger one goes into a little hose also on the plastic block.

What I didnt mean to happen was when I pulled the larger hose off the plastic block (which has the heater connector thing on) the entire plastic block/bung thing came out of the intake pipe leaving a "D" shaped hole on the intake pipe. I think I need to replace the plastic bung which the two pcv pipes go into - I did try but it was not fitting in correctly so ive taped around it.

Ill perhaps see tomorrow and try and fit it back on and then bung up the larger hole on the plastic block and try and think of something to block the small pin one.

dooby
Saturday 27th December 2008, 10:10
Hiya,

yes I think you want to block the smaller pipe coming from the inlet manifold which is sucking on idle.

The plastic block area on the intake pipe should all be sealed up - whether the heater block stays or not.

HTH, Pete

stainesy
Saturday 27th December 2008, 10:49
so what you guys are saying is i can take out the rubber bung in the air pipe between the maf and the turbo and seal the huge hole in the air pipe. then block the small vacume pipe that was going to the air pipe and direct the big pipe that was going there down onder the car. and that will be fine till i buy a catch tank?

stainesy
Saturday 27th December 2008, 13:43
ok i have just took off big pipe and small vacume pipe.
have blocked the vacume pipe.
blocked both holes in the rubber bung bit. the big hole i stretched 4 layers of baloon rubber over and round then put a jubalee clip rond to hole it. worked a treat. the small hole in the rubber bung where the vacume pipe used to go i have added a small pit of tube then blocked the tube off with a big bolt.

i then tried to move the crank case ventilation pipe down to the front of the engine and out the bottom but it snapped just under the manifold so i used the elbow that used to atach it to the bung and put it on the broken end. i then used the other bit of pipe that snapped in the other side of the elbow and directed it out the bottm of the car.

i then went on a 30 mile drive and the car seems so much better. as the air pipe bung bit is now properly sealed the car isnt lumpy on tic over any more and it just feels so much smoother and nicer.

im happy with the outcome.
im going to buy a catch tank next week.

cheers guys for the knoledge

stainesy
Saturday 27th December 2008, 14:58
oh crap just drove to the shop when i got back looked under the bonnet to make sure everything was ok and just realised the extra bit of pipe i put on have come off. so now the crank case ventilation pipe is venting under the manifold. have looked what is under the pipe and all that is under it is a power steering pipe. this should be ok shouldnt it for it to vent under the manifold if its just gona drip on a metal pipe till i get a new pipe and catch tank?

redbaron
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 18:42
been reading this thread with intent,i think this catch tank idea sounds good so ill be investing in one at some point,what do you fellas run your cars on?i drive an 854 , hold on right this has been annoying me what the heck is the difference between a glt and a t5?its a 2.3,its got a turbo and 5 cyclinders,its also p reg, i run it on 97 octane shell super unleaded and it goes ok

t5 pete
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 23:22
been reading this thread with intent,i think this catch tank idea sounds good so ill be investing in one at some point,what do you fellas run your cars on?i drive an 854 , hold on right this has been annoying me what the heck is the difference between a glt and a t5?its a 2.3,its got a turbo and 5 cyclinders,its also p reg, i run it on 97 octane shell super unleaded and it goes ok

Shell is meant to be one of the best as for the glt its to do with the spec of your car i think it goes in this order but am unsure SE GLT CD

cameron
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 23:25
Come on pete you missed out the 'S' model as well ;)

Lee

t5 pete
Tuesday 30th December 2008, 23:28
Come on pete you missed out the 'S' model as well ;)

Lee

LOL i usually miss something out

redbaron
Thursday 1st January 2009, 16:03
right ok,well engine wiseapart from more boost is there any other differences between my glt engine and the t5/r engine?

nathT5
Thursday 1st January 2009, 17:32
right ok,well engine wiseapart from more boost is there any other differences between my glt engine and the t5/r engine?

not that i,m aware of, mines also a glt and will eat an "R" :smileypul

t5 pete
Thursday 1st January 2009, 20:35

The t5 and t5-r engines are the same

redbaron
Thursday 1st January 2009, 21:04
saw a tidy 855 last night,it had a huuugggeee tailpipe,must have been a 3 inch outward rolled tip,knocked the door of house to confront owner but no answer

stainesy
Tuesday 6th January 2009, 19:41
been lookin at catch tanks that im going to buy on thursday but they all come with max fitting size of 15mm. what size fitting do i need?

p fandango
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 06:06
been lookin at catch tanks that im going to buy on thursday but they all come with max fitting size of 15mm. what size fitting do i need?
15mm but you can use 9mm like i have (think i said 19mm earlier in the thread but i'd got mixed up with the idle control valve size, sorry)

stainesy
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 06:40
15mm but you can use 9mm like i have (think i said 19mm earlier in the thread but i'd got mixed up with the idle control valve size, sorry)

oh right yeah thats what got me confused LOL.
ok nice1 15mm it is then

zoomungus
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 07:18
another reason to get a catch tank: stops engine goo blasting out of the dump valve!

BruceT
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 11:08
I'm venting to atmosphere at the moment.

When the engine is hot and your stuck in traffic with your blowers on it stinks lol.

Either run a pipe to the back of the car or fit a form of catch tank lol

stainesy
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 19:52
I'm venting to atmosphere at the moment.

When the engine is hot and your stuck in traffic with your blowers on it stinks lol.

Either run a pipe to the back of the car or fit a form of catch tank lol

i dont have any smell at all from mine and mines venting under the manifold at the front where it snapped.

im in 2 minds about what catch tank to get.
do i get one with a funky filter on top or one without?
what does the filter do apart from look cool?

not sure where to fit mine. was thinking about ataching the braket to the top engine mount armas there is a nice gap for a catch tank next to it

Enigma666
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 20:28
Isn't the catch tank normally fitted down somewhere rather than up high?
Think about it Stainsey, you need to be able to empty this, let it overflow and you have ****e all over the back of the block, manifold and turbo....could catch light too :(

stainesy
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 21:06
Isn't the catch tank normally fitted down somewhere rather than up high?
Think about it Stainsey, you need to be able to empty this, let it overflow and you have ****e all over the back of the block, manifold and turbo....could catch light too :(

then i just unbolt it and take it off to empty it. simple realy LOL

Enigma666
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 21:11
is the system totally pressure fed or is it gravity fed too?

stainesy
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 22:00
is the system totally pressure fed or is it gravity fed too?

presure. its the crank case ventilasion pipe

Enigma666
Wednesday 7th January 2009, 22:07
Is there enough pressure to get it up an inclined pipe that far from the outlet then?
These are all things that need to be thought about otherwise just the pipe will clog and it will be a bugger to clean.

badger1980
Thursday 8th January 2009, 05:39
Has anybody done a how to with pics just need the main pipes labelling there's alot of pipes in the engine lol

stainesy
Thursday 8th January 2009, 21:04
Is there enough pressure to get it up an inclined pipe that far from the outlet then?
These are all things that need to be thought about otherwise just the pipe will clog and it will be a bugger to clean.

dont see how it can clog. it just vents presure. yeah it does get oil in it but as long as there is no kinks in the pipe then it shouldnt clog.

im online now about to buy a catch tank. cant decide weather to get one with a filter on top or not.

what im doing is my standered vent pipe has snapped under the manifold so im going to just add a pipe to the snapped end of that and direct it without bending it to much to the catch tank then an pipe coming from the catch tank out the bottom of the car.

stainesy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 13:12
got my catch tank today. look realy nice but cant fit it as lastnight i drunkenly shattered 2 knuckles on my right hand. sods bloooody law. gutted

stainesy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 14:13
just had a look around my engine bay. cant find a place to put the catch tank. anybody got any ideas?

zoomungus
Saturday 10th January 2009, 14:18
i have the same problem

stainesy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 14:43
i have the same problem

yeah its anoying aint it. the only thing i can think of is to do away with the mounting braket that came with mine and use 2 big jubalee clips around the catch tank and atach to the top engine mount arm.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 10th January 2009, 14:52
Oh.My.God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :slap::hilarious :cuckoo:

zoomungus
Saturday 10th January 2009, 15:06
no theres got to be a better/tidy way, it will look pants like that

stainesy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 15:20
no theres got to be a better/tidy way, it will look pants like that

true. what do you recon?

the braket that came with mine is pretty pants

do you have a square one or a round one?

zoomungus
Saturday 10th January 2009, 15:37
at the moment i have just a length of garden hose on that pipe, it runs out beneath the car, im not sure what tank or where to put the tank, im just glad all that crap is not being blown thru my intercooler, turbo and dv! i will have a quick look under the bonnet later, some of the others on here must have fitted it somewhere?

stainesy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 15:56
has anybody got a catch tank fitted? if so where is it fitted to and is there any pics?

redbaron
Saturday 10th January 2009, 16:28
i think a how to should be made ''idiots guide to catch tanks''

would you not fit it on the right hand side of engine between suspension mount and where the old airbox lived,

zoomungus
Saturday 10th January 2009, 17:53
i think a how to should be made ''idiots guide to catch tanks''

would you not fit it on the right hand side of engine between suspension mount and where the old airbox lived,

lol...................a best seller! Or a self help guide "The Volvo 850 Holistic guide to brakes or lack of them"

Benny Boy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 17:55
forgive me if have misunderstood something, but isn't the standard PCV system just a self draining catch tank?

the crankcase gases complete with oil particles in it, pass through the canaster on the back of the block. the oil particles are separated from the gases by the structure inside the canaster. the oil then returns into the block by gravity, the clean gases then vent into induction side of things just before the turbo.

So if the system works, there should be very little to no oil in the vented gases.

Adding a second catch tank in series with the existing pcv canaster seems a bit overkill if the standard system is functioning properly.

zoomungus
Saturday 10th January 2009, 18:12
er........clean.........CLEAN! have you seen the crap that is chucked out, its goo!

stainesy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 19:13

i still have my air box with a K&N panel filter so nopecant put it there.

the only place i have room is just to the right of the top engine mount arm.

look

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/3.jpg

850twr
Saturday 10th January 2009, 23:14
yeah its anoying aint it. the only thing i can think of is to do away with the mounting braket that came with mine and use 2 big jubalee clips around the catch tank and atach to the top engine mount arm.

that would vibrate like hell

zoomungus
Saturday 10th January 2009, 23:15
and look like poo!

stainesy
Saturday 10th January 2009, 23:37
where does the crank case ventilation pipe that goes to the air pipe come from and how easy is it ti get to?

zoomungus
Saturday 10th January 2009, 23:54
its right next to your oil filler cap, thats where the breather starts.

Wombatbomb
Sunday 11th January 2009, 00:23
It's not far from the 19T turbo you seem to have mysteriously obtained.....

http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9925

http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 25-12-08, 01:29 PM
http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/customavatars/avatar690_1.gif (http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/member.php?u=690) stainesy (http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/member.php?u=690) http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Model: calibra and astra
Engine: x20xev and c20xe
Size: 2.0i 16v / 2.0i 16v redto

http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

Originally Posted by FatLadZ http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.clubvauxhall.net/forum/showthread.php?p=115233#post115233)
welcome back matey
wghat mods you done?
so are you on a t19 with greens with a full map?

LOL yep t19
mte map. ( was rica 304 but mte works better with other mods)
K&N panel filter
koni adjustable suspension
stainless cat back samco boost pipes
powerflex engine mounts
drilled and grooved mintex discs and pads
type R boost gauge
bailey big dump valve.

and engine bay totlay blinge out.

having alot more done in late jan to. not sure what yet tho. not sure what BHP im putting out at the mo as i havnt had a chance to dyno it yet.

FatLadZ
Sunday 11th January 2009, 02:03
well looking at the Vauxhall forum that i part own it seems that a few have registered and have a witch hunt in place to drag the poor lad down.
Please do not register on my forum if all your going to do is bully a member as i its making work for me when i open my emails and get 14 pm's and 7 people reporting the posts.
please try to be nice
fatz

volvokid
Sunday 11th January 2009, 02:17
What allot of bull, Stainesy sell your Volvo and go back to your Vauxhall’s you will blend in nicely with those council scum (Pardon the pun I am no snob). Either that or when you need to change your brake pads and you can’t afford it you will end up breaking the dam thing for scrap anyway.

FatLadZ
Sunday 11th January 2009, 02:23
What allot of bull, Stainesy sell your Volvo and go back to your Vauxhall’s you will blend in nicely with those council scum. Either that or when you need to change your brake pads and you can’t afford it you will end up breaking the dam thing for scrap anyway.

you really need to learn to be nice to people.
and how dare you insult those people who live in council houses?
Im sure there alot here that are not all as fortunate as us.
I have driven T5's for a good few years now and have used it as my main car as its reliable and cheap on petrol compared to my highly tuned vauxhall calibra turbo 4x4.
Were you bullied at school or something?

volvokid
Sunday 11th January 2009, 02:40
you really need to learn to be nice to people.
and how dare you insult those people who live in council houses?
Im sure there alot here that are not all as fortunate as us.
I have driven T5's for a good few years now and have used it as my main car as its reliable and cheap on petrol compared to my highly tuned vauxhall calibra turbo 4x4.
Were you bullied at school or something?

I have nothing against council housing but I have allot against the crap that goes on in those scum estates I and my G/F stay in a council flat as a stepping stone to a private house.
Why be nice to someone who is full of crap?
I have seen your Volvo and I’ll give it a big thumbs up, but come on seriously how much messed up Vauxhalls are there running around the country compared to Volvos? If these certain people keep getting a hold of them there going to fall into the Barry Boy category.
Im so psychologically bruised from my high school bullying that I just have to let it all out on a forum.

FatLadZ
Sunday 11th January 2009, 02:46
Im sorry to hear that you were bullied badly at school.
I see this happening alot and dont be scared to get "coucelling" (pun intended)
yeah i love my volvos but thats all for another thread.
people please do try to be nice as this kid is only human and made to make errors now and again.
I saw something a few years back similar and the kid attempted suicide and is now mentally disabled.

volvokid
Sunday 11th January 2009, 03:11
Im sorry to hear that you were bullied badly at school.
I see this happening alot and dont be scared to get "coucelling" (pun intended)
yeah i love my volvos but thats all for another thread.
people please do try to be nice as this kid is only human and made to make errors now and again.
I saw something a few years back similar and the kid attempted suicide and is now mentally disabled.

I was being sarcastic about the whole bullying situation lol. But I do think I’m sad how much I’m sitting on this forum nowadays when I get home I’m banning my self from it for a while lol.
I wouldn’t class Stainesy as a kid, he has 6 kids (wrap it up man). I have never wrote something so nasty on a forum but I would never of wrote what I wrote if he was the kinda guy to just get on with it but every time something goes wrong with his car he threatens to sell the dam thing, then he goes wasting his time on stupid little mods for his car that make it look naff rather than sorting the thing out mechanically but he says its perfect now so fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with it.
He screams for attention so attention he gets if you look at all his posts you would see that.
I'll lay off him now as i'm sure when people read this it will upset a few members.
I sure hope he thanks you for sticking up for him.

FatLadZ
Sunday 11th January 2009, 03:36
im not sticking up for him.
i just dont like to see the witch hunt thats going on over the whole internet especially now its spilled over to my forum.
but hey the opinions of each person are different.
I love volvo's and vauxhalls and will probably own my calibra for another 15 years until it gets passed onto my son.
The volvo however seems to be just how i want it now ive added "little mods to make it my own" in your words :)
2003 c70 headlights and indicators and back lights
now im contempt and im not even thinking of changing her .

lets all try to be nice on sunday :)
ive closed the thread over on my forum as i need rest after the hard day we had at the autosport show on saturday:)

zoomungus
Sunday 11th January 2009, 07:21
wow, full moon, told ya!

Mrsmopp
Sunday 11th January 2009, 09:56
well looking at the Vauxhall forum that i part own it seems that a few have registered and have a witch hunt in place to drag the poor lad down.
Please do not register on my forum if all your going to do is bully a member as i its making work for me when i open my emails and get 14 pm's and 7 people reporting the posts.
please try to be nice
fatz

You may want to check a few other Volvo forums before you go throwing the mud at our door :wave23d:

Fact is if you lie about stuff you WILL get found out and look like a prize pillock!

FatLadZ
Sunday 11th January 2009, 11:24
i checked the other forum that it came from last night
and its there where its come from
i know this as i asked a new registrant to my site and he told me straight out.
i saw wombatombs started it off over here also so i wanted to try and nip it in the bud here as its gone all out of control on the other forum.
i think they have been sniffing too many d5 fumes!!!

FatLadZ
Sunday 11th January 2009, 11:26
oh and youll notice i use this site as my main volvo site so wouldnt throw mud here as i know were a decent bunch of folk :)
i had alot more posts here before the database was lost a few months ago :)

y2blade
Sunday 11th January 2009, 11:28
Fact is if you lie about stuff you WILL get found out and look like a prize pillock!

nail on the head

FatLadZ
Sunday 11th January 2009, 11:35
i didnt realise that it had to turn into a complete public humiliation
where members from all over the world turn around and attack like a pack of wild dogs grabbing their mouthfull of flesh.
Yeah the bloke lied but why turn it into a public hanging on another forum?
I suppose i best go over to the other site and put my opinions over to them and await the same hostility.
Or would i be better off going out for a nice meal at a nice local resaurant with a bottle of red and then come home and put my feet up and watch man united & chelsea game with my son :)
Hmmmm tough decision.

MrMopp
Sunday 11th January 2009, 11:39
I suppose i best go over to the other site and put my opinions over to them and await the same hostility.
Or would i be better off going out for a nice meal at a nice local resaurant with a bottle of red and then come home and put my feet up and watch man united & chelsea game with my son :)
Hmmmm tough decision.

Id go for the meal and the football :)

y2blade
Sunday 11th January 2009, 11:45
i didnt realise that it had to turn into a complete public humiliation
where members from all over the world turn around and attack like a pack of wild dogs grabbing their mouthfull of flesh.
Yeah the bloke lied but why turn it into a public hanging on another forum?
Hmmmm tough decision.

i'll be watching the football too :) have a good day mate

850twr
Sunday 11th January 2009, 14:16
What allot of bull, Stainesy sell your Volvo and go back to your Vauxhall’s you will blend in nicely with those council scum (Pardon the pun I am no snob). Either that or when you need to change your brake pads and you can’t afford it you will end up breaking the dam thing for scrap anyway.

lmao!! thats hilarious! and i agree.

so stainesy hows that 30 seconds of 10.6psi go with a 19t??? LMAO!!!!!

"LOL yep t19
K&N panel filter
koni adjustable suspension"

rica then a mte eh?? u don't have either :p

and what are all those stickers down the side ?!? its not a civic!

good effort :p

y2blade
Sunday 11th January 2009, 15:24
lmao!! thats hilarious! and i agree.

so stainesy hows that 30 seconds of 10.6psi go with a 19t??? LMAO!!!!!

"LOL yep t19
K&N panel filter
koni adjustable suspension"

rica then a mte eh?? u don't have either :p

and what are all those stickers down the side ?!? its not a civic!

good effort :p

i couldnt believe it either :eek:

russell2419
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 18:38
If memory serves, Niles did a complete installation guide including pics. It may have been lost when all fell over, but he may have held a copy of the thread. It's worth an ask.