PDA

View Full Version : New air filter ;(

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 17:44
Just got my new carbon fibre enclosed cone filter, ebay special cost me £10.50 incl postage (not brand new but never been used). When i recieved it i open the box and saw a nicely finished carbon fibre surround 130mm Dia, 200mm long (same dimensions as the bmc/simota ones from europerformance etc.) and thought to myself "yeah........nice.....will do just fine" until i looked inside it. The filter is one of the smallest worst designed pieces of crap i have ever layed eyes on. It has a big plastic "nose" on the end of the cone, the usable area of the filter measures 80mm long and 110mm dia at the base, and 60mm dia at the top. I looks like its capable of flowing enough air for an undersized asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping. To say i am dissapointed is an understatement, From some surface area calculations (not taking into account the corrugated design) the cone has a surface area 12566mm squared and my existing K+N has a surface area of 46500mm squared. All this is rough calculations but it still gives a good idea of just how small and useless this filter is. The K+N has a surface area 4 times bigger without the corrugations, its going to flow loads and loads and loads more....chuffed??? i think not.

Does anyone know what the size is of the simota and bmc carbon kits filters are????

im off to ebay now to sell this bloody thing.

cameron
Sunday 21st December 2008, 17:48
Sounds lika a few Ebay specials ive had :(

Cant help you on the filter sizes mate, sorry.

I just put a pipercross Filter in mine :B_thumb:

Make sure you get your money back when you list the damn thing !

Cheers and good luck with getting a replacement

Lee

dangerstevie
Sunday 21st December 2008, 17:51
its well sweet looking so i am sure i will get my moey back, maybe even double it if i advertise it for the corsa/saxo boys. i am sure someone with a 1.0l 3cyl corsa wants 10bhp more by fitting this filter.

Tomcat
Sunday 21st December 2008, 18:20
Sorry about that, can't always get a bargain on Ebay. As you've already said, list it with 'Corsa' or 'Saxo' in the title and you should sell it easily.