PDA

View Full Version : V70 T5 for trackdays

exfuzzyt5
Sunday 21st December 2008, 12:16
Hi all

First post to the forum – just bought an ex police V70 T5 (2001) for doing track days and was wondering what the cheapest and best mods to carry out on braking/pads/discs/suspension and tyres

I’ve been trawling through the forum but so much info – not got a huge budget so don’t want to waste money on unnecessary mods that make no difference

I will use the car on the road so not looking to go too mad on suspension but don’t know if the police spec cars already have uprated springs and dampers and larger discs etc – read through posts on the myth with these cars being chipped etc but can’t seem to find much about the rest of the vehicle

I pressume that Volvo used the largest standard discs and calipers on these so again just knowing what I've got would be a great starting point

Thanks and look forward to any replies

Regards

exfuzzyt5

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 12:35
Hello and welcome you can get a set of lowering springs £100-£150 then go for the 302mm brakes if your car hasnt already got them there is a rica ecu upgrade for your car hlm do it for a volvo 850 for £150 but unsure if its that price for the v70 best to give them a ring as for exhausts its not going to make a loads of a difference unless your having a bigger turbo and down pipe also go for a performance air filter

Alan M
Sunday 21st December 2008, 14:48
I'd carry out a stage 0 on your car first off then get the mechanics checked out, ie the suspension parts such as bushes, struts and brakes. if everything is up to scratch you can start to look at fitting uprated parts. Brakes would be a good start and if your just getting into the whole trackday thing like me, you don't need to go mad with really expensive parts. Genuine discs and a good set of pads would be a good start. Apparently dixcel pads are great on track but can be noisy going by some of the track regulars over on another forum. If your car has the larger 300+ brakes they are a good starting point for your brakes. I would go genuine though as I have warped Brembo and Zimmerman front discs but that may be down to the way I drive and not the products themselves. Once your happy with throwing your car about as standard you can then start to improve parts such as the ECU map. Suspension is up to you really as there are quite a few choices available. It depends how much you want to spend. Going by recommendations from other owners the Koni FSD setup with different spring options such as H&R or Eibach are very good all round setups. Uprated powerflex bushes are worth the investment if you have the cash.

Niles
Sunday 21st December 2008, 15:40
great upgrade for a good price is to fit a genuine Volvo Alloy strut brace, from Volvo dealers appx £75

Wombatbomb
Sunday 21st December 2008, 16:42
..... then go for the 302mm brakes if your car hasnt already got them

It's a P2 car, should be fitted with 305mm discs already.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 16:50
It's a P2 car, should be fitted with 305mm discs already.

I thought they did thats why is said if it hasnt allready got them was just unsure

Wombatbomb
Sunday 21st December 2008, 16:55
I thought they did thats why is said if it hasnt allready got them was just unsure

Sorry chap, read what I said again. It should have 305mm discs, the 302mm disc is completely irrelevant to this car ;)

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 17:05
Sorry chap, read what I said again. It should have 305mm discs, the 302mm disc is completely irrelevant to this car ;)

yep thats true didnt see that even tho you said p2 for some silly reason i had the p1 cars in my head sorry about that

hamish
Sunday 21st December 2008, 17:14
great upgrade for a good price is to fit a genuine Volvo Alloy strut brace, from Volvo dealers appx £75

Niles,

If you can get a Volvo alloy strut brace to fit a 2001 MY car I will eat it on Christmas Day at your Resturant!

Regards,
Hamish.

cameron
Sunday 21st December 2008, 17:24
I know the pre 2001 cars strut brace is on Ebay for £75, but not seen one for a post 2001 car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-VOLVO-850-S70-V70-C70-SERIES-STRUT-BRACE_W0QQitemZ260335883185QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item26033588318 5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Cheers

Lee

exfuzzyt5
Sunday 21st December 2008, 20:15
Cheers so far guys

Will be stripping the front wheels off at the weekend too see what discs and pads/springs etc I've got - going for a remap as a mate of mine owns a chip tuning place in Newquay and he knows a guy out in Spain who writes maps for racing 850's

Cars already got a OEM strut brace and by the looks of it the discs are bigger than my 850 T5 brakes - so hopefully I've got the 305mm discs

So what do you reckon - stock OEM discs and stock pads or go for some Mintex?

Its got a T16 turbo I think - definatly not a T15 as I've got one on the 850 T5 - so any mods to this or simply a bigger turbo - I've heard the Garret G19 turbo off the Nissan 200ZX fits?

What do you recomend on the induction kit - K & N or Pipercross or ITG or other?

Cheers

Mark

Niles
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:14
Niles,

If you can get a Volvo alloy strut brace to fit a 2001 MY car I will eat it on Christmas Day at your Resturant!

Regards,
Hamish.

Hamish our place is closed on Christmas day so deal is off. And may I add that you don't have to be so a **** about it!!!! As we spoke on the phone a few times, you're the spanner monkey & I'm the chef, I bet I can Tune a car better than you can cook. Happy Christmas!!

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:17
both of you give over talking about food my belly is big enough and your making me feel hungrey again LOL

nathT5
Monday 22nd December 2008, 20:00
if its just mainly track use i,d use good quality stardard discs, ferrodo DS2500 pads and race fluid,
ive always used this combo on all my track cars and found it perfect,
90 laps of donington or cadwell with no problems and the pads last ages too...

thebadger
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 00:07
If it's ex-plod (mine is too! 2001 Y) then the pads will have the sensors in them (cops like to know when their car may fail to stop.

Be aware that the wires will be there.

I think the system should still be active & the pads will need to be ordered specially (volvo stealers or good indys).

My car had new front pads & I had to wait 2 days for the right ones! They may be the bigger ones too! Didn't think to ask about the size! tsk!

The bigger genuine ones are as good as any aftermarket upgrades, and will most likley be as cheap to replace, only a bit easier on ware & tear!

woz
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 01:20
Hamish our place is closed on Christmas day so deal is off. And may I add that you don't have to be so a **** about it!!!! As we spoke on the phone a few times, you're the spanner monkey & I'm the chef, I bet I can Tune a car better than you can cook. Happy Christmas!!
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Guys - you cheered up what,for me has been a carppy day.

Thanks - keep it up.

Woz - LOL ;>)

exfuzzyt5
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 09:21
if its just mainly track use i,d use good quality stardard discs, ferrodo DS2500 pads and race fluid,
ive always used this combo on all my track cars and found it perfect,
90 laps of donington or cadwell with no problems and the pads last ages too...

What are the DS's like on the road? if my wife uses it with the kids in it then do they need heat in them to work or might be better with the plod pads from the main stealers?

Been looking through the Vadis system at the Plod parts options - just need to cross reference the numbers back and see if they match any of the stock items

Terminator
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 15:13
I know the pre 2001 cars strut brace is on Ebay for £75, but not seen one for a post 2001 car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-VOLVO-850-S70-V70-C70-SERIES-STRUT-BRACE_W0QQitemZ260335883185QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item26033588318 5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Cheers

Lee

Simon (Rufe) at FRF Swansea was doing these (pre-2001) for £71.49 including postage last time I looked.

nathT5
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 21:29
What are the DS's like on the road? if my wife uses it with the kids in it then do they need heat in them to work or might be better with the plod pads from the main stealers?

Been looking through the Vadis system at the Plod parts options - just need to cross reference the numbers back and see if they match any of the stock items

the DS fast road pads are awesome, the race ones are better but far too aggressive for road use.
they dont need any warming either, just a prod to clean the surface.

exfuzzyt5
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 22:10
the DS fast road pads are awesome, the race ones are better but far too aggressive for road use.
they dont need any warming either, just a prod to clean the surface.

Shopping list so far

Set of ferrodo DS2500 pads
Pair of 305mm OEM discs
Race brake fluid - any spec for this and will this require a flush through the braking system?

Any links to pad suppliers?

Cheers

Mark