PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 - Coolant Temperature

beebadoo
Saturday 20th December 2008, 19:08
Hello all,

I've been wondering if my thermostat is on its way out. Normally, during my commute to work (4 miles) the car will get up to what i assume is normal temperature (i.e half way on the gauge). Recently I’ve noticed its not quite making it to half way.

I’ll change the thermostat and replace the fluid, but out of curiosity I Did some data logging today via the obd port and the maximum temperature reached is about 75 degrees Celsius.... does anyone know what the temperature should be?

Is there a particular type of coolant that i should use? The manual states 'Volvo only', but I’m a bit sceptical it’s just a money making ploy! :)

ps car is 2001 S60 T5

Cheers

Andrew

GreenMachine
Saturday 20th December 2008, 19:28
Not sure about the temp - but I've put two Thermostats in my T5 over 2 1/2 years both times fixed what you're describing.

good luck

thebadger
Saturday 20th December 2008, 20:16
dunno, but the gauge will go up slowly in the cold weather! My gauge gets to "normal" by the time I get to work... 6 miles (I'm a 2001 T5 V70 btw so same flavours)

Neumerous factors can change the tempreature lift on the engine.

Do you travel in traffic or by mway, do you stop at loads of lights, do you travel near water or over hills...

also your temp sensor may be clogged/faulty.

HTH, but a simple look by a mechanic may help more!

v70torslanda
Saturday 20th December 2008, 22:56
Volvo coolant is green which indicates long life coolant with biodegradable properties. If you insist on not using Volvo branded coolant it must be green to prevent a reaction in your cooling system, sludging etc.

BTW Volvo branded coolant ain't that dear compared to aftermarket stuff.

J

Loadsamiles
Sunday 21st December 2008, 03:39
Volvo coolant is now blue.!

beebadoo
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 10:38
Cheers for the replies.

Decided to go with Volvo parts in the end, although I almost fainted when the guy at the parts desk asked for 21 quid for a thermostat!!! Lol.

Fitted them yesterday morning and it’s cured the problem – the car now gets up to 90 degrees Celsius.

Thanks

Andrew

cornclose
Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 15:49
Between 93-97 deg.C is the usual normal temperature of the coolant as I've seen it - that's bang in the middle of the gauge. The fan kicks in at about 99-102 deg.C.

Make sure you have the recall done on it where the cooling fan assembly is swapped out for a brand new one of a newer design - free at Volvo dealers. Not sure if your Model Year requires it but it's worth checking out...