PDA

View Full Version : 0/40 oil?????????

stainesy
Friday 19th December 2008, 16:32
chect my oil today and realised it was way below the min mark so im gessing my oil light dont work.

anyways i went to the garage to get some oil and all they had was tri synth fully synthetic oil 0/40

so had to by it and put it in. will this be ok in my car? i was using 5/40 before

Volvostorm
Friday 19th December 2008, 16:47
That stuff is like water! I would say its abit thin, be ok in an emergency I guess.

Too thin an oil can cause problems on older engines, so you may find a leak you never knew it had.

Rufe
Friday 19th December 2008, 16:50
that is simply much too thin in my opinion. not the best selection of oils at that garage really!

flyingbrick
Friday 19th December 2008, 16:57
No good for yours mate.....

stainesy
Friday 19th December 2008, 17:14
not the best selection of oils at that garage really!

thats the only oil they had at the garage.
going to drain the oil and refill it in the morning. how much oil does the T-5 R take and what oil should go in it?

jez.w
Friday 19th December 2008, 17:49
Most 850 t5 owners use a good 10w40 semi as recommended by volvo. I would not personally use fully synthetic oil as its just not necessary for road use. These cars do mega mileage on semi so why change? If you had a track car then your oil would get very hot and start to break down causing engine wear or worse, so then fully synthetic would be needed.
Just do an oil and filter change sometime soon. I have just done my auto and it took about 5.5 litres. I used Mobil Super semi 10w40, which is a good one which you can get from Halfords. Make sure you do up the sump plug correctly, i know things have a habit of going wrong for you and if it falls out then its goodbye engine!!